Turret press vs. single stage

I have been using the T7 quite alot lately since I am working on some loads for the 10mm, 44 RM and 480 Ruger. It is a good deal to set it up and load 20-100 rounds pretty quickly since I drop powder via a RCBS powder measure in a separate step. I resize and expand cases with the first two dies. Prime them via my little hand primer, dump powder, then put them back in the press to seat and crimp. It is actually fairly quick, BUT it is nowhere as productive as the LNL-AP when it is set up. I don't like to mess around with the AP until I have a known load I wanna crank out a few hundred of though.

It all depends on how you wanna roll. The Redding T7 is fairly nice, wished it was an 8 holer vs 7 so I could keep 2 sets of pistol dies on it, but it isn't a huge deal. It is nice being able to move the turret handle to the most advantageous spot when do pistol stuff though.

The T7 is a quality press though. I have only had it since around December, and along with the COAX and LNL-AP is a great 'tweener press to have on the bench.

If you shoot many pistol or say an AR its a great idea. I did similar a couple of years ago. I have loaded both for my 45's and my .308 on it. Haven't used it for the .223 as yet. I dread loading .223 because its painful for me to start the bullets in the case with my left hand for long periods of time. My arthritis doesn't like me moving small items around.

There are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had bought a Remington

"There are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had bought a Remington"

Huh?

Elkman":3m2ek43a said:
There are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had bought a Remington

How sharper than a serpent's tooth. :twisted:

DrMike":whcqldf0 said:
Elkman":whcqldf0 said:

How sharper than a serpent's tooth. :twisted:

I know who he is targeting...

It's okay, I can usually make a 99% guess what he will be carrying when he REALLY wants to kill stuff.. I am 100% sure it will be marked with a W vs a R :lol:

In reality my two primary hunters are push feed Model 70's born only a few years apart. They are backed up by a Remington Model 700 of the same era. They are all pretty much identical.

I have the same press as Guy Miner, I love it. I have 2 turret plates, one holds 9mm and 5.56 and the other my 45 and 300 win mag. I like the idea of a progressive, but I don't think I would like the execution of it. I don't trust anything that much so I inspect each part of every round, the open design of the lyman allows me to do that easily. While it is time intensive, I feel better about the rounds I produce. When my wife and daughter are shooting loads I made, I want as close to zero chance for something to go wrong, I don't trust a progressive enough to do that. Just my quirkiness. Call it OCD I guess lol

Well, I did it. Ended up buying one of the brand-new Lyman Brass Smith turret presses. Got it set up last night and loaded about half a box of .40 ammo. It seems like a very solid, well-built press, and quite a bit faster than loading them on my single stage RCBS. Lyman says that a lot of R&D went into designing a press with the most desirable features at an attractive selling point. $180 for an 8-hole turret? Sign me up.

As soon as I can pick up another powder measure, I will mount it on the press as well, with an auto dispenser. I'm looking at Lyman's new Brass Smith powder measure for that, as well. And I'll still have another 3 holes to mount another set of dies, probably my .223 set.

IMG_20180519_093743.jpg

IMG_20180519_093805.jpg

SJB358":2yt7osuv said:
Very nice. I like the looks of that press. Pretty similar to my T7.

It does appear to share a lot in common with the T7. I can believe you will enjoy it.

I was in a gun/pawn shop about two weeks ago, and happened to see a first-gen Hornady Case Activated Powder Drop, never used, in the counter. I walked out with it for $35, which is about half what the new ones sell for. Figured it would make a nice addition to the new turret. Got it set up last night with my old RCBS Uniflow measure, and it works like a champ.

IMG_20180601_095319.jpg

Looks good, that is a great set up. I really like my T7, and the Lyman looks even better.

I've gone the Iron Press/550/650 route to handle most my reloading tasks, but this turret press has me thinking. I have a reloading bench with rails so it's easy to swap presses on and off as needed. (Except the 650, that case feeder is just too damn bulky to move often.)

How nice would this be for a utility press.
- Decapping station with a Lee decapper
- Ch4d swager
- Ch4d primer (small)
- Ch4d primer (large)

Back