Redoing my case prep process

The spent primer catch cup is different on a 550 were it sits on a wedge on the operating handle and the 450 hangs on a wide head screw with a slot in the cup as seen in my pictures. They are not interchangeable.

Truck Driver,

I can't argue with you on the spent primer cup being different, but is the screwed on spent primer cup for the JR 450 or early RL 450 presses? Most images I've found online for the RL 450 have the 550 triangle on the right linkage arm. PM sent with a link showing what I am seeing.

No doubt the press I have is a very early 450RL . Never saw a 450JR so I don't know how a spent primer cup was attached to them but I do know my 550RL has a wedge on the linkage arm that holds the cup and I think it is a better design but what is on the 450RL works so if it isn't broke I don't fix it and would have to change the linkage arm for the new style if they would fit or have Dillon replace it for me for free.:)>)
I'm thinking the used primer cup is missing from Toms press and he needs to get one to solve his problem and a picture of the right linkage arm where it would attach would solve the mystery.

As for the powder delivery system I wish I had one of the old hand operated powder measures since it would be easier to load rifle cartridges using extruded powder with long grains but I would still just hand weigh and pore it in the case since I'm not sure I would trust it to deliver consistent powder charges, they work great with flake and ball powders for pistol though.
Yeah I know they make an adapter for the RCBS powder measure which I have but haven't used it for ever since I don't like using it for long grain powders and all my pistol cartridges are loaded on Dillons with auto powder chargers.

I'll take a pic, Rodger. It's got the wedge on the linkage arm like you're describing for the 550 primer catch.

I have a powder-through die I mount a Lyman 55 on for my turret press. I bet with one of the universal powder-through/expander dies, you could throw that in Station 2 and hand pour the charges? Probably some "Appalachian Engineering" to be done to make it not spill powder, but I bet it'd work. I've thought the same, but figured I'll just do the stuff where I want that kind of control of the charge on my Rockchucker. Such ammo won't be high volume for me.

I do see using the case activated measure for stuff like plinker ammo for my M1/M1A/AR. Stuff where it's "minute of gong" accurate and solid middle of the spectrum charges so a little deviation doesn't go anywhere unsafe. That I would happily churn out on the 450 with an automatic powder throw.

Making a public post to put this out there for posterity sake as the 450 is a great machine.

I think Truck Driver has the original A version from 1980 with bronze arms that only have DILLON on them. His arms look to have been painted Dillon blue at some point, possibly a factory refurbishment which could account for the serial plate. The original A version can be found on Dillon's website at https://i2.wp.com/dillonprecision.net/w ... -small.jpg. You can see that the handle has a bend to the outside to clear the screwed on spent primer cup.

Latter 450's had RL 450 or JR 450 on them were Dillon blue from the factory; I think they use the 550's spent primer cup holder.

Yeah, that's not mine. Mine has the blue arms and the wedge shaped mount stud for the primer bin. It just doesn't have the bin. No shocker there, given who knows the travels it had between it's last actual user and me.

tddeangelo":2lie0gl8 said:
Yeah, that's not mine. Mine has the blue arms and the wedge shaped mount stud for the primer bin. It just doesn't have the bin. No shocker there, given who knows the travels it had between it's last actual user and me.
Get the spent primer cup from Dillon for the 550 and 99% of your problems will be solved, no more primers on the floor. :)>)

It seems that way. :)

I gotta order my bottlenecked stuff I need yet for my sizing protocol I want to adopt, but I don't see me doing serious load work again for a bit. This arctic blast would make range time miserable. I'm headed out with the flintlock for an evening sit in the deer woods, but, well...that's different. Don't ask me how, it just is. ;)

Good luck with your hunt.
I had my one grandson at the range yesterday teaching him how to shoot some handguns.
He wanted some pre experience before going into the service and looked to me for help.
it was interesting to see his reactions as I worked him threw different weapons from a .22 rim fire rifle threw pistols, a 1911 .22lr, 38spl revolver and a 1911 .45apc. The center fires were all target loads so as not to over whelm him since he had never fired a gun before. For his first time shooting he did as expected and realizes he needs a lot of practice.
He also froze his butt off since he didn't dress warm as he was told, kids what do you do with them?

I wouldn't know anything about that. My daughters all do everything I tell them to.

Ha!

tddeangelo":1rj9oodw said:
I wouldn't know anything about that. My daughters all do everything I tell them to.

Ha!
Unfortunately he isn't an out door type so he doesn't have the clothes for it.

Back