Ultimate hand cannon 500 S&W

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
Haven't quite figured out why I decided I needed this but the price was fair for just the pistol but it came with dies, bullet mold, 75 brass, 200+ hunters supply hard cast, 100 reloads and 60 factory loads. All together figured it was a great deal and too good to pass up. Here are a few pics with a GP100 6" and a full size 1911 for size comparison 20220507_113034.jpg
20220507_113114.jpg20220507_113510.jpg

No doubt it will prove to be a great acquisition. If nothing else, it will capture the attention of anyone who sees you using it. Okay, I have to ask. You're not planning on using that as your concealed carry weapon, are you?:unsure::ROFLMAO:

Okay, I have to ask. You're not planning on using that as your concealed carry weapon, are you?:unsure::ROFLMAO:
It will be my backup, I can use it as a club!

I guess one reason I was thinking about getting a revolver similar to this is the hunting district here around town does allow handgun for deer and elk, and the elk do have a tendency to come out of the mountains to the farmers fields around town once the hunters head to the mountains

I have never had the opportunity to shoot one. I am a fan of big bore revolvers, and I don't think they come any bigger than that; however, of the 500 S&W, I find it difficult to make a place in my heart for it. To my eyes, it's a bit too bulky.

That having been said, I would imagine that you could load a very wide variety of power levels for it, from backyard whitetail to literally bison killer. Please, if you do use it to harvest something, review the performance for us; I for one would love to see how it does.

nice revolver . my buddy has one , he thinks it's great .

Last edited:
Congrats on the revolver.
Are you going to put a optic of some kind on it?

Bought one when they first hit the market and kept it for about a dozen years. FUN to shoot! :)

Mostly I loaded 440 grain cast bullets at nearly full strength. Lots of power. Surprisingly accurate.

Attachments

• IMG_3852.JPG
    IMG_3852.JPG
    727.5 KB · Views: 8
Congratulations on your new hand cannon.
Should be a hoot to shoot.

JD338

Beautiful revolver!!!

As others have said, if you do use it to bag some game let us know how it does.... with pics!

Congrats on the revolver.
Are you going to put a optic of some kind on it?
Not planning on it right away

This will be my first experience with loading cast bullets, not sure if I worry about casting any myself. I'm excited about getting out and shooting it, and decide what to do. The comment about shooting a buffalo was something that didn't cross my mind.

Understood.
Personally, I don't use cast bullets. I have friends that enjoy casting bullets and hunting with them.
I also have good friends who use iron sights for hunting.
I use a reflex sight, dot sight or traditional scope for hunting myself

Nice looking gat.

I’ve not had the hankering but then if I found a .454 Casull at the right price I’d be likely to snatch it up.

Vince

During my guiding tenure in Alaska I had several clients show up with the 500. Never owned one myself but came to appreciate their accuracy and jug smashing power. Impressive hand cannons.
Yes, I was impressed with the accuracy of my 500, as well as the power. Shot through some big ol' stumps. Also it was surprisingly easy to shoot. Good cushy grips, lots of weight and I think that port up by the muzzle helped too. I never even attempted to shoot it one-handed though.

Guy

I've shot a couple of S&W 460's but I haven't shot the 500. I did notice that after about 15-20 rounds of Hornady factory loads helping a friend get the scope aligned and zeroed, my hand had a little bit of a tingling feeling. I've also had the same thing when shooting a 375 JDJ.

JD338

Last edited:
Back