Update on the Vortex that was sent back.

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
Vortex Customer service called me and they did find a parallax ring not adjusted correctly and fixed that. When we discussed the clarity at the higher mag setting she told me something about the 4x16 with the lens setup "some times" can become unclear / cloudy. The 6x24 does not. I have heard this on other optics forums / reviews. I also picked up a 6x24 and I can't find anything wrong with it and am very pleased with it. They offered to replace the 4x16 with a 6x24 PST if I wanted. I called back and took them up on the offer. It is on a heavy barreled 243 coyote / deer gun anyway.

Sounds as if you have a satisfactory resolution. Fascinating about the 4-16 contra the 6-24; one can only wonder. Thank you for posting.

She said the techs tell her the lens are the same in both scopes but because of the "speed of the lens" this can happen in the 4x16 configuration. I don't know what that is supposed to mean.

Teknys":27nwyynr said:
She said the techs tell her the lens are the same in both scopes but because of the "speed of the lens" this can happen in the 4x16 configuration. I don't know what that is supposed to mean.

I have no idea what "speed of the lens" means either.
Good to hear that they understand Customer Service and took good care of you.

JD338

JD338":2qrjlge3 said:
Teknys":2qrjlge3 said:

I have no idea what "speed of the lens" means either.
Good to hear that they understand Customer Service and took good care of you.

JD338

I wonder if it is like photography and in this case might mean "How much light" can pass through the lens.

I'm glad my experience with Vortex Customer Service is exactly the same as I have heard / reputation. They gave no excuses, just a reason and if I was not satisfied they gave me an alternative which I took. I'm happy with it.

F-stop is the amount of light transferred through all of the lenses as a complete unit, not normally one lens unless it is interferring with the performance of the entire lens system? I would think that they would rate and qualify lens transmission gradients and phase matching (refraction angles) before they sign off on a scope design.

That is good to know. thank you for the update. I have had them before but never had to use their CS services. This is the scope I chose for my 6mm-284 custom with a 20 MOA rail

ImageDisp.aspx

Back