Varget and the 30-30 ?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
These days I have a lot of Varget on hand, and need to do some 30-30 loading, probably a couple of hundred rounds. I'll be using either the 170 gr Sierra or the 170 gr Remington bullet. I have plenty of each on hand.

I've used Varget often in the 308 Win, but hadn't considered it for the 30-30 until I saw today that both Hodgdon and Nosler recommend it for use with 170 grain bullets. Looks like 32 - 33 grains is about max, according to both sources.

Anyone here use Varget in the 30-30? How were your results?

Thanks, Guy

I haven’t myself Guy. Brian did quite a lot though. Pretty easy deal to knock down 2200 with Varget and 170’s coming from him.

About the same as 15, H4895, etc.

I have only used BL-C2 in the little I loaded for my brother’s 30/30. BL-C2 worked well Varget should be better.
Having extra Varget laying around must be a good problem to have :grin:

LOL! Ya, I think I've got nearly 20 pounds of Varget.

BL-C2 worked really well in my 30-30, but I'm out of it. So... Looking for an alternative. With the amount of Varget I've got on hand, it looks like a reasonable choice if the loads work out well, and I'm sure they will be just fine. :grin:

I have used Varget for the 30-30 in the past. I don’t remember how much I used, although it was with the 160gn Hornady flextip bullet.

I used this to zap a hog or 7 down in the bottoms.

I switched over to the Leverevoltion powder due to my rifle indicating it liked it better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Charlie-NY":nlw4o9ip said:
Varget is currently selling for $3,000/lb on GB. Who would put that stuff in a 30-30? LMAO

My guess would be someone who stated they had about 20 lbs of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Varget should work in the 30-30 Win rifle. It is what I use in a 14" T/C Contender pistol barrel 6mm-225 Winchester with 80 gr bullets. It has about the same capacity as the 30-30 Win case.

LOL! Ya, I think I've got nearly 20 pounds of Varget.

BL-C2 worked really well in my 30-30, but I'm out of it. So... Looking for an alternative. With the amount of Varget I've got on hand, it looks like a reasonable choice if the loads work out well, and I'm sure they will be just fine. 😁
I've got the perfect solution. Just, um, ship that Varget my direction, and um...:sneaky:

Fun old thread. Yes, I did load some 170 gr Sierras with 32.5 grains of Varget for my 20" 30-30 Glenfield. Note - Hodgdon lists 33.0 grains as max with the 170 Sierra.

Average MV = 2021 fps
ES = 27
SD = 11

They appeared to be accurate, but heavy snow at the time curtailed how far I could shoot at the gun club. Most of my shooting was at 25 yards, and plinking on the steel gong at 100 yards.

Regards, Guy

IMR 3031 has always been the powder for 30-30
30 -31 grains with 170gr

Back