VX-6 or Z5???

Woodycreek

Handloader
Aug 2, 2007
Looking at a different scope for the new 300 RUM. Leupold VX-6 3-18x44 illuminated duplex CDS or the Swaro Z5 3.5-18 BT Plex. Need some advise and or opinions on which one to get.

Both are fine scopes that will serve you well, Brian. I'm assume you are asking about the Swarovski Z5 with plex reticle and the Ballistic Turret, which is seriously excellent glass. If that is the choice, and there is no hesitation on having the best, go with Swarovski.

That's the Z5 I'm currently looking at and I knew which one you would pick :lol:

I can say with absolute certainty, were I choosing between those two, I'd choose the Swaro every time.

Consequently, Brian, I have representatives of either scope (in lower power, to be certain). Testing at o'dark thirty reveals significant advantage to the Swarovski.

I'm sure the Swaro is a light gathering machine. The only advantages the VX-6 has is the Illuminated Duplex and $300-$400 cheaper.

I pick the Z5.. But, I know how bad Brian wants the VX6!!!

Stand by for this one! It should be a good one.

antilipepopcorn.gif

I have looked through the swaro and it just plain amazes me.

I have owned 2 VX-6's

FOTIS":34kwub01 said:
I have looked through the swaro and it just plain amazes me.

I have owned 2 VX-6's

Don't go trying to bring that common sense around here! :grin:

I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Need no help whatsoever in spending the money :lol:

Brian,

I have that Z6i 2.5-15X44 BT #4A First Gen all I can say is wow!!! You will not regret that choice. I know this isn't quite a fair comparison but comparing it to a MK4 8.5-25X50 I still have more shooting time with the Z6 about 15 minutes. Not to mention it looks great on the AI. By no means is that MK4 a slouch but the Z6 is still clearer. It has 1/10 mil adjustments or .36 inches @ 100 yards. Turrets are very positive. Look on SWFA as they may still have some first gens. I got into mine for $2200 which was $800 less than the gen 2. The updating they have done is on the illumination not anything optically. If your gonna but that kinda money out you might as well go big or go home!!

http://www.sportoptics.com/swarovski-Z6 ... copes.aspx

http://www.samplelist.com/Swarovski-25- ... 54945.aspx

Z5 Only way to go as the glass quality is where the difference is and i have not seen any Leupold glass that gives me the extended time to hunt like my 2, Z5's do and i am comparing them to a Mark4 #64660 which is a 6.5-20x50 FF LR/T that is impressive for long range shots! My 2, Z5's rifle scopes both have the new Ballistic Turret with plain plex reticles and they are SWEET! My 270 Lazermark sports a NEAR Alphamount with a Z5 3.5-18x44 and it is a really sweet rifle/optik combo to say the least :)

Welcome to the forum, hogwild338-378. I appreciate your contribution to Woodycreek's dilemma. Sounds as if you might do a bit of hog hunting. A 338-378 would certainly get the job done.

Back in the day i would wear out the Ouachita River Bottoms dropping them like the vermon they are, this is the same river that Preacher Patterson hunts but i was just about 120 miles North of West Monroe :) Place called Tate's Bluff which was a huge Civil War Battle Field! Kind of an Arkansas Razorback Fan since mid 64 as i watched the Cotton Bowl Championship with my Father on Jan 1 1965 as Arkansas beat Nebraska. Do not remember much about the game as i was only a youngster but it took me the longest to figure out what that klunk was i kept hearing and once i figured it out i found the empty 1/2 pint bottles amungst everyones feet :) Currently living in NM we have very few hogs and they just can't hang with the climate in NM! No dilemma as i own some Leupolds but not anything brand new but i promise you they will not perform like Schott Glass! Never had a rifle put such a big grin on my face like the Accumark 338-378 and looking thru my Swaro 10x42 El's at a 250 Gr Partition going down range looks like a bread truck being shot from a cannon as it moves thru the air! :)

Back