VX-6 or Z5???

Actually, I suspect that the higher cost Leupold's are glass sourced from Schott Glass Werks, FWIW.

I have a vx-6 in the classifieds if you decide to go that way

Oldtrader3":3ag03pu3 said:
Actually, I suspect that the higher cost Leupold's are glass sourced from Schott Glass Werks, FWIW.
Charles, my Mark 4 has some great glass but the performance is night and day difference which I suppose could be coatings but not sure where the Mark4 glass comes from or why it performs different in low light?

Kyocera (Yashica/Contax-Japan) used to make some lenses for Leupold optical products in Korea. Leupold is really closed mouthed about where they get their glass by product line. The cheaper (Green ring) Leupold binocs are Chinese glass now. That was why I sold mine which older were Czech glass (Meopta).

Everytime I ask the question anywhere about who makes what, I get a different answer. Strange because aside from the Chinese, Korea and Philippines, there are only a few optical (esp. ED) lens glass makers left in the world.

So between Schott, Kyocera, Meopta and a couple of small Japanese custom shops, the alternatives are Korean, Philippine or Chinese. There is too much science in optical glass (index refraction matching, coating etc.) for most companies to vertically integrate to that extent and make their own optical grade glass.

HOGWILD338-378":20mpqikk said:
My 270 Lazermark sports a NEAR Alphamount with a Z5 3.5-18x44 and it is a really sweet rifle/optik combo to say the least :)

Terry, that does sound like a really awesome set up. I knew you would do it up right!

I was told to be careful if i purchased any of the NEAR mounts and now i know why, Richard at NEAR said they make an A mount for the 338-378 with 2 forward rings and 1 rear which i was afraid to ask him what the price was but it is just been added to the list of TO DO stuff i need!
1. Timney for my 270 Wby
2. Night sights for my PX4 9MM slide
3. 300 Wby Accumark so i can make me a AccuLazer!
4. Rifle Storage as i only have 2! Pelican's
I really like the #3 Contour Fluted Accumark barrels! They do not heat up and you can feed them more frequently :)

Just to really mess with you Brian...here's another option that you should consider:
http://premierreticles.com/products/her ... armint.php

I have looked through their glass and read reports from gun-rags that say this glass is at least as good as S&B. I would have to agree. They introduced the "light" line of scopes this year, after building scopes meant for tactical and competitive applications that were tanks. This scope with an A-7 reticle really has my interest! The great thing is having a repeatable exterior dial and a reticle that can be illuminated. Prices are less than the Z6 Swaro and gives you a better scope for dialing. I'm a Swaro fan and have several, but the Premier scopes give the hunter that wants better repeatable dialing a great option.

Interesting stuff, Joel. I see they are marketing in Canada, as well. Hmmmm.

I may have to see if I can secure one, just to check it out. I appreciate the post.

I looked at them as well Joel and man, that A7 reticle is pretty awesome looking. Too many scopes to choose from. It is making my head hurt.

Scott -
I never considered the Premier's for a hunting scope until these came out. All their 34mm tubed models were too big and heavy for carrying in mountains or most hunting applications. These 30mm tubed models are a lot lighter though and still have great glass in them. I think your 264 would really look good with one of these on it :p .

257 Ackley":2axuwdna said:
I think your 264 would really look good with one of these on it :p .

Yeah, you aren't kidding.. There are a couple that wouldn't look too bad!

Dan,

A call to Armament Technology Inc. in Halifax (902-454-8384) would give you an answer very quickly. You might also phone Tactical Ordnance (Newmarket, ON) at 905-775-1666. On the other hand, Anacortes Gunshop is marketing the 3-15X50 for $2989.

What kinda glass are these Premier Optiks using? was checking their reticles and they are sweet but I am more of a plane old plex person for hunting but my 338-378 has a MILDOT with M1 Dials and soon to have a 30 MOA NEAR A Mount with 2 front rings and 1 rear! Richard was saying they were really nice and was talking with him about getting one soon and the A mount on my 270 is top notch machining for sure!

sask boy":t01r7t9r said:
Does anyone know what kind of price those scopes are listed at?

(Premier)

Blessings,
Dan

U.S. prices are in the $1500 to $2500 range, depending on model.

i have looked on several sites and have yet to find the 3-15 Premier Light Varmint? Where can i find a $1500 Premier?

All that I've seen top that price, Brian. I'll take Joel's word that they are good, and I hope to lay hands on one sometime soon to see for myself. However, I anticipate that I'll pay a good deal more than that (and the Canadian dollar is stronger than the greenback).

Back