VX -II or a Nikon Pro-staff ??

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Leopolds have the Rep but why pay for the name? Warranty is same. Nikon has good glass half the price. which one and why? Thanks CL

CL,

I have several Leupold and a couple of Nikon Scopes.
The customer service from Leupold is second to none. I have sent 3 scopes back for turrets. Turn around is 1 week. I sent a scope back that had locktite leak into the erector system (don't ask). They repaired it at no cost.
I also lost an eye cup on my Wind River binoculars. At Leupold's request, I returned them so they could be inspected, cleaned and new eye cups plus a spare set. I'd say that is excellent customer service!
I fully appreciate cash flow but I would highly recommend Leupold, even if you have to save a little longer. Thats the reason I have the 2 Nikons and I wish I would have waited a little longer and bought Leupold.

JD338

I have owned a few Nikons and more Leupold's. I still own most of the Leupolds and only one Nikon.

The Nikons I have had, were VERY CLEAR, but they give an illusion that you are looking through a tube. This bothers some shooters but not others. One more good thing about the Nikon is the crosshairs turn to a gold hue if you are looking at a darker target. I can not attest to their customer service. All of the Nikon's I have owned were Pro Staff models. These models have very critical eye relief as well. You need to be right on to get a full view.

The Leupold name is worth the money. The customer service is unbelievable, and the clarity is fantastic, even on the lower end models. I will not put less than a VXIII on any rifle that will see a lot of hunting. This requires saving for a lot longer, but it is a lifetime scope. Seriously.

Theirs nothing wrong with Nikon Pro staff but the Buckmasters are better yet I own four But soon I'm going to buy my first Leupold :grin: a VXII 6x18 for my 22 250 still nothing wrong with Nikons.

All good points that I have confirmed (except for customer service of course).. Only thing lacking is patience and money. Do they EVER go on sale? :wink: CL

The prostaff is more comparable to the rifleman, VXI, or older VariXII. They are all great scopes in that price range. The VXII clearly outshines the afore mentioned scopes in claribility and multi-lens coating, but also is about 100 more whitetail bucks in price. Choose the one that is affordable for you. You can't go wrong with any of your choices in my opionion/experience.

If you're able to get somewhere and look through a variety of scopes, don't overlook the Bushnell Elite 3200's. They are between the two you listed in price, and have the lifetime warranty as well. I have two of them, and will have more before I am through. For around $175 mail order, you can't beat them. If you want a great scope at a super price, go here:

https://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?co ... =BH883940M

This is made by Bushnell, and is actually situated between the 3200 and 4200 series from them. This is going to be comparable to a Nikon Buckmaster or Monarch, and VXII-III, for reference. This is a serious clearance price, as the scope retailed for $225-250 before they were discontinued. Warranty service is going to be through Bushnell, so no worries there, either.

Well, I finally did it, and I broke a couple hard and fast rules and ignored my conscience...but I did it. I went to cabela's (so much for my convictions...see my rants about Cabelas buying up my home state) Becuase they sent me $20.00 off coupon, and a card that will get me $75.00 of free stuff. And THEN I got me a credit card... :oops: to get another $15.00 off. So I slunk out of the store after saving $35.00 with a $75.00 dollar gift card in my pocket, no pride, no scruples left and a brand new VX-2 under my arm!!! :grin: I havent taken it out of the box yet. Afraid I will get an attack of conscience, change my mind and return it. But I got me a Luey!! :grin: So far it feels good. Atleast one of the variables should be CURED. CL

buckfever":1mxasihx said:
You should hury up and mount that on a rifle before you do change your mind :grin: .

+1
The sooner the better.

JD338

Cant beat a Leupold for the price. I think you made a good choice!! Enjoy it.

Leupolds are on all my big game rifles and will continue to be that way till the day I die.

Back