Walker Game ear or similar?

For anyone who's interested, Midway has the ones FOTIS bought on sale right now for $149, that's $100 off. I ordered a set for myself. FOTIS correct me if these aren't the ones you got.

I have the earmuffs of walker's x-trm ($99.99) 21dba that is bluetooth and gs extreme 2.0 (axil) that does have amplification along with noise reduction and bluetooth. Checkout Axil's site as they're earbuds if that's what you want?

@FOTIS I got my Walker's buds yesterday. Haven't tried them on the range yet, but they seem like they will work nicely. As far as the fit, the medium tips were just a bit too big, but the small ones seemed to be just about perfect. If you are using the large tips,I would be happy to swap you for your small ones.

I have very bad hearing and wear the hearing aids that go behind the ear with a wire that comes over the top of ear and into the ear canal. I think the brand name is something like "Oticon" or "Opticon". My audiologist says they will cut out a very loud sound like a gunshot. My audiologist says the hearing aids will be effective ear plugs for a couple of shots as in a hunting situation but not in rapid, repeated fire situations such as at a shooting range. She says the electronics can't adjust to the rapid, repeated fire.

I wear them hunting and I can adjust them up to hear turkeys clucking and leaves rustling. When I fire, they act like ear plugs and cut the sound. I find them very effective for hunting. However, when hunting in the rain or snow I have to wear a hat with a brim to protect the hearing aids from water which will kill them.

My brother gets his hearing aid from the V.A. but he can't hear crap with them. His fit inside the ear canal. I asked my audiologist if there might be something better for him such as the ones I wear behind the ear. She said that the ones that goes behind the ear have much more capability (strength, tuneabililty, and adjustability) than the ones that go in the ear canal. She was pretty sure that the V.A. had ones that go behind the ear. She knows the audiologist at the V.A. and volunteered to call and verify. I said I would check with my brother. When I did check with my brother, he said he got new ones every three years, and he only had his current ones for about a year. He would have to wait two years to get another pair. When I offered to pay for a new pair for him from my audiologist, he declined. I came to the conclusion that there might be some vanity at play and dropped the discussion.

I would encourage anyone with hearing problems to have in-depth discussions with a professional audiologist who offers multiple types of hearing aids, not just one brand or type.

One downside of the type of hearing aid that I wear is the cost. They are very expensive at around $4,000 per pair. (Probably more now). Personally, I find them worth the cost.

Last edited:
So, I took my Walker's to the indoor pistol range last evening. They did fine with sound suppression, I had no issues to speak of. Just make sure you get a good seal inside the ear.

However, I do have an issue with them. For whatever reason, they won't charge up to 100%. At full charge, it only registers about 91%, and will drop down to about 88% pretty quickly after I put them on. I think it's just the left one that's having issues, but it's not satisfactory to give up 10% or more of the battery life. I contacted Walker's customer support, but they were out of stock to do an exchange. So I went to Midway to see if I could exchange them there. They were also out of stock, but allowed me to place an order at the sale price, so I did that.

Then later today, I happened to see some info about another option: Isotunes Sport Caliber. Reviews seemed to be good, so I found them on Amazon for $161 and ordered a pair. They are supposed to be here on Sunday. I will compare them to the Walker's and keep whichever seems best. Here's the info on this if anyone is interested. This is a new product that came out last spring.

ISOtunes Sport Caliber Shooting Earbuds: True Wireless Bluetooth Hearing Protection, Water and Dust Proof, 13 Hour Battery, 25 dB Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) https://a.co/d/54xmXpY

Just two comments:

1. An audiologist told me that the in-the-ear aids (oticon or such) will clip off gun shot noise. I have no personal experience with this but it would be interesting to hear from someone who has tried it.

2. My buddy has a set of in-the-ear aids that he bought from the national chain, "Miracle Ear". They are bluetooth compatible and are fully adjustable from his phone.

Just two comments:

1. An audiologist told me that the in-the-ear aids (oticon or such) will clip off gun shot noise. I have no personal experience with this but it would be interesting to hear from someone who has tried it.

2. My buddy has a set of in-the-ear aids that he bought from the national chain, "Miracle Ear". They are bluetooth compatible and are fully adjustable from his phone.
I can't address the first issue, so maybe someone else has experience there. As far as the second, we're talking about quite a big difference in cost between hearing aids and electronic buds.

Just two comments:

Charlie,

Yes, that is true.

See my post above: " I think the brand name is something like "Oticon" or "Opticon". My audiologist says they will cut out a very loud sound like a gunshot. My audiologist says the hearing aids will be effective ear plugs for a couple of shots as in a hunting situation but not in rapid, repeated fire situations such as at a shooting range. She says the electronics can't adjust to the rapid, repeated fire.

I wear them hunting and I can adjust them up to hear turkeys clucking and leaves rustling. When I fire, they act like ear plugs and cut the sound. I find them very effective for hunting." Dan

I can't address the first issue, so maybe someone else has experience there. As far as the second, we're talking about quite a big difference in cost between hearing aids and electronic buds.

No one is suggesting that a hunter buy hearing aids instead of generic electronic buds. My statement was to indicate that for persons with hearing aids that they "may" be useful in attenuating the noise of gunfire. If that's the case then buying additional noise suppression buds would be unnecessary.

Back