Wanted Multi tasking "Brush gun"

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
All right guys here is the challenge.

Need a rifle for hunting in the brush. Deer, pigs and maybe elk. Elk will be under 150 yards. Now the catch is occasionally I am presented with up to 250 yard ranges in the open patches of land where I hunt. So what would you pick (rifle cartridge and glass)??

I'd take a long, hard look at any of a variety of 20" barreled bolt guns, POP. This would include the Remington 7 or 673, Weatherby Vanguard compact or youth (Or the Howa model, as well), a Ruger lightweight, or whatever else you find.

What chambering? Anything in 308Win, 300WSM, 300SAUM, or the same basic cartridges in .284cal or .265cal. Or, alternately, go up to a 338Fed or 358Win. Any of these will reach out to 250yds with the right loads, handle the game you've mentioned, and in a 20" barreled bolt gun will be fairly compact and handle well in the brush.

Alternately, you could make a 30-30 lever gun work, with the new flex tip bullets, as they'll reach out to 250yds if you work them right. In fact, a Win94 in 30-30 with a fixed 4x would be near ideal for what you're talking about, maybe. Especially if you're very limited in the number of shots over 150yds.

As for glass on a bolt gun, I'd start looking at 1-5x or 2-7x, and I'd keep the objective 32-40mm. A 3-9x40 would work, but it's going to be longer and not quite "proportioned" for the rifles you're talking about. Brand is up to you - but I'd look at Bushnell Elites (might still find a 3200 or 4200 on clearance if you shop quick), Nikon Buckmasters or Monarchs, Burris FFII, Zeiss Conquest, or Vortex. You know what brands your eyes like, though.

Fotis,

I agree with Rick on his choice. I shot my first elk with my .308 browning BLR so I have a soft spot for that gun. I do have a Browning BAR .338 mag for sale. It could be interesting. :lol:

Brian

BLR .358 with a 2-7 Leupy IF you have a good 'smith to work some magic on the trigger.

Yep, the BLR 358 you had FOTIS would have been sweet for just about everything you mentioned. My second vote would go for the 1895 - 45/70. A good Leupold 1X4 - 1.5x5 or 2x7 would be pretty nice on either rifle. Scotty

Hard to imagine a better brush gun for the purposes you name other than the BLR in 358 or a Marlin 1895 in 45-70. Either would be a thumper.

I would pick my Marlin 1895 Guide gun 45-70 topped off with a Leupold VX-3 1.75-6x32mm.

JD338

I found some dies for a 350 REM Mag in with my reloading stuff. That sure looks like a cool round!

I found some dies for a 350 REM Mag in with my reloading stuff. That sure looks like a cool round!

It is a cool round, packing a punch. A Remington 673 chambered in this round would be a great brush round. A Mohawk (660 Magnum Carbine) or Model 600 chambered in this round would be a great rifle to have. Fotis, you're pretty good at finding these out of production rifles. There is one for you!

Fotis -
I'm agreeing with a few already on the 358 Win, but you also have another unfired lever that would be magic in my book (at least until you sell it to me :wink:).

AHHHHH
My unfired Sako Finnwolf 308!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

finn2.jpg

finnn.jpg

Have ya pondered the new Ruger hawkeye, forward scope mount for just that application.
Chambered in a low recoiling 338 federal????
VX3 3-10 CDS

Paratrooper model SVD. Too bad we can't get one thanks to a BATFE technicality. The closest you could come would be to have a gunsmith shorten the barrel on a PSL to a more practical 22" Kalinka markets a POSP mount that accepts a standard 30mm scope. A valdada fixed 4 would be apropriate on this rifle. They are light, fast, accurate and quick to action once you get used to the AK safety. Scares the hell out of other hunters you meet also. Extremely reliable and that 7.62X54R round will put down anything on your list including shtf. If not, you've got 9 more to throw downrange.

A more conventional rifle would be a BAR in good 'ol 30-06. A vintage Savage M99 in .308 or .300 sav would also do nicely. Burris 2x7 with the 3P4 reticle.

Sako Finnwolf how cool is that! I do love my sakos but I have never seen a finnwolf. I need to read up on that rifle. Thanks Brian

I have a low mileage pre Remington, Marlin 1895 GBL in shipment by Pony Express right now. It has the Ghost Sights and a rail already mounted. I think it left PA yesterday sometime. I also have 100 hard cast 350gr SAECO gas checked bullets being carfully crafted as we speak, (they had to go mine the lead), and already recieved new dies and some nice used cases from online here. I will use it for plinking with the ghost sight until later this year when my club card bonus coupon comes in the mail, then get a medium power fixed scope for it. I will probably thin out the gun safe a little next year. I am seriously thinking about moving one of my safes to our second home as the pile in the corners increases daily.

I can't wait to see the pictures of the rifle Bill. I imagine you will have gotten a great rifle. Heck, I might need to go to the range and get my 45-70 fix today! Scotty

brianwyo":rh2hvic8 said:
Sako Finnwolf how cool is that! I do love my sakos but I have never seen a finnwolf. I need to read up on that rifle. Thanks Brian

Stop by Brian. I will let you play with it! :mrgreen:

Fotis,

The fellas are right, the Sako Finwolf 308 Win would work very well. You could even load it with the 180 gr PT Protected point. It would make for a smoth, quick handeling lil' hammer.

JD338

Back