Was the wanting better than the getting?

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
Kind of a take off of the wanting vs needing thread. What guns have you really thought you wanted but after acquiring it found it was not all you thought it would be. Or maybe it was, but got boring and so went on the trading blanket.

For me it was a Winchester 1300 Black Shadow turkey shotgun. Loaded with the magnums it kicked like nothing I'd ever shot before. Infact, it was the only gun that ever actually hurt my shoulder when I shot it. Sold it to a neighbor who only shoots trap loads out of it. He thinks it's the greatest :?

Long

WSSM. About four years ago, decided I had to have one. Won a Weatherby in a raffle, traded the dealer for a Winchester M70 in 243. Won the rifle, built a load for it, then figured out I have no real use for it. I now take it out once a year, fire five rounds thru it, clean it, back in the rack.

Good rifle, very accurate... just don't have a purpose to use it. Also a little cautious because of reputation for burning out barrels.

The only one was a 742 Carbine in 30-06.
I had a M700 30-06 that was very accurate, wanted one for a fast follow up shot in the cedar swamps I hunt.
After a few seasons, I got tired of carrying it. My hand was always on the cold metal receiver. Although it would shoot handloads under MOA, I sold it to my buddy who has taken many bucks with it.
Whats interesting, I have shot 2 WT deer twice, with fast follow up shots. Shooting competition with a 700 that had rapid fire sessions allowed me to learn how to deliver a fast follow up shot.
Guess I'm a M700 kind of guy. :grin:

JD338

Just sold a 22mag. That was pretty painless, not so much sellers remorse. I bought a 250 Savage several years ago after 4 years+ of looking. Took me another 3 years to finish the "project" gun. Still wish I would have bought that Ruger RSI in 250 savage that I found 14 years ago. (200 bucks with a K-4 steel weaver on it) :cry: . But at the time decided diapers were more important. Its been a sore subject with me ever since. But its all good. I have a great 15 year old and I can still look the wife in the eye. And the 250 I did find is an FN Mauser that is a tempramental pain in the neck that will shoot "cloverleafs" with the right load. The having was as good as the getting but I still kick myself for the one I let go. CL

223 wssm. Unless it has a looooooooong barrel it is a total waste of time. With a 23" Browning I got 4100 fps with the 40 gr BT. I did 200 fps better with the swift but it did have a 26" tube.

Never had a single action revolver before, was dying to get one. Saved my pennies and bought a stainless Blackhawk in .357. Hated the grip angle, hated how it loaded, hated the accuracy. Tried 3 different aftermarket grips, boatloads of ammo, finally traded it to a buddy for a mountain bike that he didn't use. I still feel guilty doing that to a buddy...

I went through my transition in Idaho from Jack O'Conner theory to Elmer Keith theory. My 270 and 338 let me down and by golly I wasn't going thrue that heartache again. No more lost animals!!!!! I marched down to my freindly local gun dealer and bought a 416 Rem. Mag. and a Win. Timber in 450 Marlin.
Fast forward 3 years. I just traded my 416 for a 7mm RUM. and the 450 needs dusting again. Ratts!!! I could say a lot of philosophical things to try and justify some of the stupid thing I've done but God and everybody knows better. By the way, does anybody need an almost new, never hunted with Winchester Timber in 450 Marlin???? I just bought a 30-378 Weatherby that I hope and pray will get used "a lot".
Lost money on the deals (Too much) exitement at the moment (keeps me going). As I usually say at the end of hunting season.
Yeah , but just wait till next year . I got it all figured out now.

That should releive a lot of (poor me) for some folks. Unfortunately, it's all true.

Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

PS Next year!!! :lol:

Back