Washington DC

At the wall today, volunteers are reading the names of all enshrined there. Left a photo of my cousin Danny
Sorry to hear of your loss but happy to hear he was Honored for his sacrifice to keep us free.
The wall is a must see for anyone who visits the Nation's Capital.
The Korean war Memorial is another one and looks so real at night it will give you cold chills.

Big surprise today, Catherine wanted to go to Roosevelt Island for a hike, found in the middle of the woods, the Teddy Roosevelt memorial. She knew it was there, I had no idea. Stunning and fitting.

Attachments

• 685A23E3-5C2F-4C76-9300-B4E7D0CCBF55.jpeg
    685A23E3-5C2F-4C76-9300-B4E7D0CCBF55.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 488C331B-1C24-4DB4-9505-AE462C22958C.jpeg
    488C331B-1C24-4DB4-9505-AE462C22958C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • 02BD927B-2CC9-4D55-9F64-94EE64C902F6.jpeg
    02BD927B-2CC9-4D55-9F64-94EE64C902F6.jpeg
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 774F8C76-BF43-4321-9940-8B1270422EC8.jpeg
    774F8C76-BF43-4321-9940-8B1270422EC8.jpeg
    972.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 575E5F33-665B-4D4C-866C-65075A4A6CDB.jpeg
    575E5F33-665B-4D4C-866C-65075A4A6CDB.jpeg
    989.8 KB · Views: 10
There is so many hidden less advertised history in DC that most people totally ignore and Rosevelt Island is one of them.
The wife and I use to have lunch there when we fished the river for bass and stripers.
The island is or was fairly natural in that it is teaming with wildlife. It is easy to see why it was one of the President's favorite getaway spots.
Thanks for the pictures and sharing your trip with us.

Took in the Law Enforcement museum and memorial today, think I was a little disappointed but I was able to touch up with several cops I knew that never made EOW.
From there to the Library of Congress, absolutely fascinating. We walked 10miles today picking up the last of what we needed to see.
My opinion, every one should make the trip.

Attachments

• 7804E213-07C0-417B-9F42-AB3F141E8F3B.jpeg
    7804E213-07C0-417B-9F42-AB3F141E8F3B.jpeg
    392.2 KB · Views: 4
There are some incredible museums and monuments. It's after "Parade Season" but if you can, check out the old Marine Barracks, 8th & I.

It's been there a couple of hundred years and is in constant use even today. Amazing chunk of Americana. :)

Not sure if they'd allow a tour or not, it's been nearly 40 years since I served there.

Regards, Guy
8th and I has been renamed to 8th and Eye. No shit apparently people couldn’t differentiate between I and1

Visited there in 1974. I was 9 years old. Protesting the Turkish attack on Cyprus. Good nuff for me.

I used to eat at the Eye Street Cafe (that's down by 15th, if I recall) when I worked there; stopped when I found myself in between what I think was Russian mobsters and a couple of feds tailing them. Long story, short resolution.

If there was a bright side to it, it was that the city is basically empty until 730, so you can go for runs along the mall without crowds if you're out early in he morning. Nothing quite like standing on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and watching the sun rise over the Washington Monument.

We averaged 10 miles a day hiking around, stayed at a Bed and breakfast about 1 1/2 miles ne of the capitol. Longest day was just over 11 from our rental to Arlington. Very quiet in the morning, pleasant actually. Got tickets twice for Smithsonian Air and Space, getting there an hour early the line was still over a quarter mile long. I’m not that patient.
Made it to the Lincoln memorial late afternoon after an emotional visit at the wall. The place was packed. As we approached, from some distance, I could see many small groups were sitting on the steps, taking in the view. Still there when we arrived. As we weaved up the steps I realized the din from all those voices was not in English, very little of it anyway. More folks at the Lincoln memorial, from all corners of the world, than anywhere else in DC. Made me wonder what they knew of Lincoln when they started their journey.

Shame you didn't make it into the Air & Space, it's a fantastic experience. I understand the annex out at the airport is likewise impressive, though I've not been.

Big surprise today, Catherine wanted to go to Roosevelt Island for a hike, found in the middle of the woods, the Teddy Roosevelt memorial. She knew it was there, I had no idea. Stunning and fitting.
Oh my goodness- For all the divisive, destructive rhetoric we are bombarded with from our politicians- how is it that the words on these walls are not required reading for all politicians oaths and required memorization in our schools. They are not about politics or even religion..... ( I hate that the ten commandments have been removed from so many places, but I understand it.) These words can not replace them but I dont see how they can offend any one and there is so much wisdom to be had. I will come back to these photos in an effort to try and memorize some of what is written. Thanks for posting. CL

More concerning- when you Google the Teddy Roosevelt Memorial (at least when I did) you dont see any photos of the monuments in the photos above. Concerning...CL

Oh my goodness- For all the divisive, destructive rhetoric we are bombarded with from our politicians- how is it that the words on these walls are not required reading for all politicians oaths and required memorization in our schools. They are not about politics or even religion..... ( I hate that the ten commandments have been removed from so many places, but I understand it.) These words can not replace them but I dont see how they can offend any one and there is so much wisdom to be had. I will come back to these photos in an effort to try and memorize some of what is written. Thanks for posting. CL
that is why I took the photos’. I think we could use him now.

Back