Weaver K Series

7mm Gumbo

Beginner
Dec 24, 2006
Does anyone have experience with current productin Weaver K scopes. I am considering one for my M70 7mm WSM. Either the 4X or 6x. :?:

I'm a Leupold guy, take a look at the FX series

JD338

Thanks for the reply JD338. I respect you Leupold guys. I was hoping someone would share experiences with the current production Weaver K scopes before I invest. :shock:

Agree with JD338, using the FX series on a couple of guns myself. However, I did mount a Weaver K2.5 on a Marlin lever action. Good, clear glass. My only concern with mounting one on a WSM, any caliber, is the Weaver's abililty to take that kind of thumping over time.

Thanks TRIC :grin: I was looking for some first hand knowledge about these products. You know the usual stuff, durability,adaquate eye relief, value for money spent, ect...

Do you think I could be making a mistake by installing a fixed power scope on a 7mm WSM? I just like things simple and this is going to stricktly be 200 yd plus deer rifle. right know I am leaning toward a 6X. :shock:

Since you are shooting 200 yards+, you may want to reconsider the Leupold variables like the VXIII series. They are excellent scopes.
I have a 2.5X8 on my 338 RUM and have had no problems suffered from
50 ft lbs recoil. I have had the M1 dials added by Leupold and dial in my range. Excellent repeatability every time.

JD338

i think a fixed weaver would be a good choice for your rifle. everyone and there brother thinks they need vairiable powers but more often than not all the game i shoot is on the lowest setting on the variables or using fixed power scopes. binoculers are for looking at game, scopes are for killing them. i can kill game with simmons, weaver, tasco, just as well as anyone with a leupold :lol:

I have fixed powers on my 270, 300WSM, 338WM, and 375 RUM. Have tried variables on a couple of them, and went back to fixed. I do use variables, but on my primary hunting rifles, those listed, I will stay with single power.

As to your question about what power, I use 4x on the two smaller guns, and 6x on the two larger...and they all shoot for me just fine.

Thanks to everyone that took time to post a reply :) This is my first "long" range deer rifle. Up to now I have used a Win 94 30-30 with a peep sight and my longest kill was 85 yds. Three years ago I started hunting western Oklahoma wheat fields and quickly saw the need to shoot further than my iron sight brush gun was effective. I think with a good 6X on my 7mm WSM and the right load 325 to 350 yds should be doable with practice at least the rifle scope bullet combo should be up to the task, hopefully the guy behind the trigger can do his part as well. :p

Back