What a difference a year makes

HunterJim

Handloader
Oct 20, 2004
I have a new Ruger Hawkeye in .300 RCM that I have been breaking in by running the bolt, putting the safety on and off and dry firing. This is tedious stuff, but it sure works to get a rifle ready for shooting. I have ordered ammo, but I don't know when that will arrive.

On a whim I got out my other Hawkeye, an African in .375 Ruger. I wanted to compare how its operation felt now that I have had it for a year (it arrived in Dec '06). Wow, much smoother in operation than the new .300. I figure I have about 4 hours of bolt running & etc. in the older rifle, and it makes a heck of a difference.

Does anyone have a favorite method for break in?

thanks...jim

HunterJim

I have done the same with my M700's. The actions are smooth as glass.

JD338

Have the Ruger Frontier compact in 300 WSM...........The more the bolt is used the smoother it does get.

I use a little tetra gun grease to smooth the action. Just a little.
When I get a new rifle I usually break it all the way down, clean the barrel, wipe all the parts clean then apply a gun oil, work the trigger over, re assemble the metal parts, give it a good wipe down with an oily rag before re installing the stock.
I also check the stock to barrel - action fit. I usually shoot fifty rounds through it with fresh brass either factory loaded or a mid velocity hand load to break the barrel in.
After all that the work begins.

The original Mauser makers used to case harden the surface of their actions, and the result for shooters was metal that glided on metal, and felt really great in operation. You know, I miss that.

jim

Back