What are you hunting with this year?

Some great rifles showing up here in the comments guys! Old favorites, and some new choices. Very cool.

Guy

Awesome! Not a lot of those old Hoyts around these days.

Bob Gordon used to take those old Hoyt limbs, or modern ILF recurve limbs, and fit them to a few different models of early compound risers that had appropriate geometry. He lives(lived?) in St. Marie, ID and I got to visit him in 2007. I thought maybe being fairly close, you had gotten ahold of one of his modified risers...

No, I've got a PSE compound if I decide to use a bow with wheels. It does shoot flatter & faster and of course is easier to hold at full draw.

Regards, Guy

Deer will be my late grandfather's Winchester M88 I was given for Christmas this year with a 165gr HotCor.

If I get pulled for a moose permit I'll probably go with my 338-06 with either 200gr NBT or 225 AccuBond.

If I don't get the call for a moose, I might get to go out west for a hunt of a lifetime and a elk. That will probably be my 7mm Rem Mag. Working up loads with the 160gr Trophy Bonded Tip right now. If it doesn't work out I'll go with either the 180 ELD-M, or 150 Swift Scirocco

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

For deer I will be use my trusty Weatherby S2 in 7mm08 with 140gr Bergers and if it wet I take my Marlin X7 stainless in 30-06 with 210 Bergers. This year I drew my first ever bear tag and planned on using the 460 Weatherby with 500gr Nosler Partitions (I know overkill) but I got take it out hunt with it.

Elk/Deer in Montana: Blaser R8 in 300 Weatherby with 180 grain TTSX's.

Antelope: Blaser R8 in 6.5-300 Weatherby with 127 grain LRX

Blacktail on Kodiak Island: Blaser R8 in 375 H&H with 270 grain CEB Safari Raptor (A little extra firepower in case of an uninvited Ursus arctos ssp.)

RL338":1p5j8vf6 said:
For deer I will be use my trusty Weatherby S2 in 7mm08 with 140gr Bergers and if it wet I take my Marlin X7 stainless in 30-06 with 210 Bergers. This year I drew my first ever bear tag and planned on using the 460 Weatherby with 500gr Nosler Partitions (I know overkill) but I got take it out hunt with it.

:shock:

460 Weatherby with 500 gr Partition... Boor Yogi & Boo Boo... :wink:

Goodness, well, I think even Ruark would agree that you're using "enough gun" and you are of course falling right in with some other fine folks here on the forum, using plenty of rifle for hunting! Besides which, how the heck else is a fellow supposed to get field experience with his big rifles?

Consider it a practice safari!

Oh my goodness, my shoulder and neck are aching a bit, just thinking about the recoil...

Guy

Excited to get back out there after elk, only this year with my custom pre-64 M70 in 270. I’m working up the load for it now using the 140AB on top of RL26. This is a change in plans as I had originally intended to shoot the 150 ABLR, but the on game performance of the original AB with its 70% weight retention come hell or high water made me rethink it. Started 100 FPS faster, the drop is the same and I only give up a little in windage at any reasonable distance so it just seemed to make sense. I feel bad for not having killed anything with the old girl yet, but a tour in Germany got in the way and so did a drive across the country. Well not this year! We’re gonna make it happen, especially considering it looks like we’re headed back to Europe in January. This maybe my last hunt for awhile and I intend to make it count!
My daughter just turned 9 and passed her hunter’s safety course and will be carrying her cutdown pre-64 M70 in 243 shooting 90gr ABs at about 3200 FPS. We’re warming her up with reduced loads using 55gr BTs over a 60% charge of h4895. We shot at 100 yds today and she’s taking to it like a duck to water! Cross those fingers guys because we’re halfway through August!
V/R,
Joe

Working up loads for my new/used M700 in 270. Will either use 130 Fed Trophy bonded tips, 150 speer grand slams, or 140gr Sierra gamechangers. I've only tested the Trophies and got a very accurate load, but need to retest it in smaller increments to verify it's on a node.

Will carry a sporterized mauser 30-06, as backup or for my second deer, shooting 165 gr Hornady spire points and peep sights.

Well, I’ve got the old P64 that was rechambered to 300 Weatherby with 180 Swift’s hopefully. Still working on this one.

The new Mashburn isn’t quite blooded yet. 175 BBCs for this one this year.

Or my always faithful P64 338 Win Mag. 210 Swift’s for this one.

First time in a long time I’ve attempted a 308 in the lineup since I ran a 300 Win for so many years.

I do have the P64 30-06 and 270 ready though.

EOD Diver":38w3jdjs said:
Excited to get back out there after elk, only this year with my custom pre-64 M70 in 270. I’m working up the load for it now using the 140AB on top of RL26. This is a change in plans as I had originally intended to shoot the 150 ABLR, but the on game performance of the original AB with its 70% weight retention come hell or high water made me rethink it. Started 100 FPS faster, the drop is the same and I only give up a little in windage at any reasonable distance so it just seemed to make sense. I feel bad for not having killed anything with the old girl yet, but a tour in Germany got in the way and so did a drive across the country. Well not this year! We’re gonna make it happen, especially considering it looks like we’re headed back to Europe in January. This maybe my last hunt for awhile and I intend to make it count!
My daughter just turned 9 and passed her hunter’s safety course and will be carrying her cutdown pre-64 M70 in 243 shooting 90gr ABs at about 3200 FPS. We’re warming her up with reduced loads using 55gr BTs over a 60% charge of h4895. We shot at 100 yds today and she’s taking to it like a duck to water! Cross those fingers guys because we’re halfway through August!
V/R,
Joe
Thank you for your service, Joe.

Congratulations to your daughter for passing her hunter's safety course and good luck to her with her 243, sounds like the perfect rifle for her.

Good luck to you as well on your elk hunt. I do like the 140 gr AB with RL26 in the 270, should serve you well.

Scotty, nice model 70's!

AFG270":1r875oqp said:
EOD Diver":1r875oqp said:
V/R,
Joe
Thank you for your service, Joe.

Congratulations to your daughter for passing her hunter's safety course and good luck to her with her 243, sounds like the perfect rifle for her.

Good luck to you as well on your elk hunt. I do like the 140 gr AB with RL26 in the 270, should serve you well.

Scotty, nice model 70's!

Thanks buddy.. I sorta like them old 70’s...

Thank you my friend. I’m blessed to serve our country and am ecstatic about hunting elk with my daughter and new rifle.
V/R,
Joe

Well since I did not draw a Elk tag in Colorado it's back to Iowa Whitetail hunting early Muzzleloader TC Rengade .54 with patched round ball.
I just picked up two tags yesterday and after September 15th I can buy more doe tags so I would like one more.
I am taking a weeks vacation this year so I hope to see a nice buck, time will tell.

1100 Remington Man":2l0m7wvz said:
Well since I did not draw a Elk tag in Colorado it's back to Iowa Whitetail hunting early Muzzleloader TC Rengade .54 with patched round ball.
I just picked up two tags yesterday and after September 15th I can buy more doe tags so I would like one more.
I am taking a weeks vacation this year so I hope to see a nice buck, time will tell.
Good luck on your ML deer hunt.

Do you ever get OTC elk tags in Colorado? We used to hunt there a lot years ago, haven't been in a while, but since we were unsuccessful in the Arizona draw for both elk and deer, thought about OTC in CO.

I talked with my best friend about going to Colorado and doing a OTC Tag and he did not want to do it. Yes we have done this hunt in the past.
He looked into a Guided Bobcat Hunt in Kansas but they were booked up for the year. We may go to South Dakota and do some Predator calling in January.
Other wise it's looking like Caribou next fall to Alaska on a DIY hunt with my brother.

AFG270":1gkyoqev said:
1100 Remington Man":1gkyoqev said:
Good luck on your ML deer hunt.

Do you ever get OTC elk tags in Colorado? We used to hunt there a lot years ago, haven't been in a while, but since we were unsuccessful in the Arizona draw for both elk and deer, thought about OTC in CO.

Allen,---buy you books, send you to school, tell you all I know and you still are not doing it right LOL Remember, some of the best Elk hunting in the world is on the Indian Reservations in Arizona and there is probably still openings available. A short drive from Calif, through Vegas to pick up some cash and your in Arizona the next day--this is not rocket science --jeeez lol

Europe":uaj9d737 said:
Allen,---buy you books, send you to school, tell you all I know and you still are not doing it right LOL Remember, some of the best Elk hunting in the world is on the Indian Reservations in Arizona and there is probably still openings available. A short drive from Calif, through Vegas to pick up some cash and your in Arizona the next day--this is not rocket science --jeeez lol
LOL! Hey cut me some slack, I'm getting old and forgetful.

Christensen Ridgeline 300 Win Mag with 165 Accubonds and a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 will be my ticket puncher this year. I've got a cow elk tag for the area just south of home.

Back