What Caliber for 500-600yds

Richracer1

Handloader
May 12, 2005
The young man I worked a load up for his 7RM was asking about what caliber would be suitable out to 600yds. I told him the 300 mags (Win w/180gns, and the WBY & RUM w/200gn bullets) would be the ticket.

What do you guys think of a 338WM for this range? I have a 338WM that has a load for the 225AB (2800 fps) and I also have 200AB available for a little more speed if it likes them. I may surprise him with a deal for it at a later time as I probably won't use as I have the 338RUM.

We talked about the 338RUM but steered him away as these rifles are hard to find new let alone used. That's the other thing, he"ll be buying used and I know the various 300 mag calibers are readily available.

Yes, that's the bullet I worked up a load for. With his old Savage, the first load is around 2830fps and I got the 2nd load up to 2950fps.

Richracer - what's the game? I'd not be afraid to zing a big mulie at 500 - 600 yards with an accurate 7mm mag and good bullets.

I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the fast 7mm calibres (or even a 27 calibre). Anything larger is a bonus for shots at those ranges. My 7 RM or 7 WSM loaded with a 160 grain AB would work just fine at those distances for game. For sure, any of the fast 300s will work very well.

Guy Miner":2irxj60r said:
Richracer - what's the game? I'd not be afraid to zing a big mulie at 500 - 600 yards with an accurate 7mm mag and good bullets.

Sorry about that. The animal would be elk. The reason I did't just mention using his 7RM, not that it wouldn't do the job, but I'm a big believer in the old phrase of, "Bring Enough Gun".

264 WM, 7 RM, 300 WM, 338 WM will all easily get to 600 yards quite easily...

Dont need a WBY or RUM.

Even your standard 270 w/150g, 280 w/160g, 30-06 w/165-180g will get you to an easy 600 yards.

All you gotta do is put the right bullet in it and scope on top, and have a place to stretch her out a bit.

Your standard and regular mags are all the average guy needs to shoot anything in NA out to 600 yards.

Just my opinion...

remingtonman_25_06":3jrxgv8h said:
264 WM, 7 RM, 300 WM, 338 WM will all easily get to 600 yards quite easily...
Dont need a WBY or RUM.
Even your standard 270 w/150g, 280 w/160g, 30-06 w/165-180g will get you to an easy 600 yards.
All you gotta do is put the right bullet in it and scope on top, and have a place to stretch her out a bit.
Your standard and regular mags are all the average guy needs to shoot anything in NA out to 600 yards.
Just my opinion...

Again, yes the 7RM w/160ABs will work, but IMO, if he wants to buy another rifle why would I stop him?

Thanks for your input Remmy.

If he has a Savage bolt rifle then all he really needs to do is screw on another barrel. It takes about 10 minutes. :mrgreen: My question is, is the young man capable of making a 500 or 600 yard shot. Can he dope wind and figure bullet drop. If he can then yes a 338 Win mag would fill the bill nicely but if he can make the shot his 7 RM with 160 AB will work also.

Richracer1":1e1dfw8n said:
The young man I worked a load up for his 7RM was asking about what caliber would be suitable out to 600yds. I told him the 300 mags (Win w/180gns, and the WBY & RUM w/200gn bullets) would be the ticket.

What do you guys think of a 338WM for this range? I have a 338WM that has a load for the 225AB (2800 fps) and I also have 200AB available for a little more speed if it likes them. I may surprise him with a deal for it at a later time as I probably won't use as I have the 338RUM.

We talked about the 338RUM but steered him away as these rifles are hard to find new let alone used. That's the other thing, he"ll be buying used and I know the various 300 mag calibers are readily available.

Show him your 4 rums! :lol:

Rich,

If he wants a nice step up in power from the 7mm Rem Mag, go 338 Win Mag or 338 RUM.

JD338

Man, I would put him in a 338WM and load some good 225's or 250's and put a Leupold with the B&C scope on it and get him practicing! If your talking elk, I think the 338 really puts the hammer on them and with the amount of awesome bullets available, I would not feel bad about making a 600 yarder with the practice behind me. The 300's are cool too, but if your talking strictly elk, let him have the hammer. Plus, you live in Idaho, home of the 338 and Elmer Keith! Scotty

I'm with Remington 25_06. I think practice and more practice, and then good bullet placement with quite a few cartridges will work. The 7mm Remington magnum is a great cartridge. All my dad uses in his and has since 1973 is the 160 gr. Partition and he has made some super shots with this rifle. Some quite long. I feel that if the guy wants another rifle, then who are we to stop him!! :mrgreen: The 7mm Mag should do just fine though in my opinion.

The Van Zoll video is certainly interesting. I do like the Greybull concept, in no small measure because they are building on Leupold.

That is an awesome set up. Those 6.5's really do have alot of juice when the range stretches out further. I can't wait to get one! Plus, even the bigger ones are pretty gentle recoiler's. Scotty

Apparently he and his friend have decided on getting 300RUMs (yes, both are buying a 300RUM). Right now it's all just talk. I'll see if they acually do buy one. I just want to make sure they get good info in regards to scopes, bullets, and loads for this rifle(if they do get one).

Nothing wrong with the 300 RUM for a long range hammer. I would load it with a 200 gr AB.
I am with you, good glass is important. A VX-3 4.5-14x40mm would be ideal.

JD338

JD338":3cj6y6i9 said:
Nothing wrong with the 300 RUM for a long range hammer. I would load it with a 200 gr AB.
I am with you, good glass is important. A VX-3 4.5-14x40mm would be ideal.

JD338

That's what I'm advising them to use, as for bullets. His friend said he had a "Vari-X III", so I don't know if he has an actual VX-3 or the older Vari-X III or what power it is. I haven't approached the scope conversation yet, but it'll be soon.

Pretty hard to beat the 300's Rich. Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders! Scotty

Back