What did you make 1st?

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
For some your "venison season is over". For others you may have several months to go.

So when you had (or will have) your 1st venison meal........what will it be?

Ours is always venison, noodles and white sauce.

The white sauce - cut up a couple of large onions and cover with water. Add 1/2 stick of butter and a teaspoon of sea salt. Let simmer until the onion is translucent. Add 2 cups of heavy cream and 1 heaping tablespoon of lemon pepper. Let simmer.

Noodles - We like the big egg noodles. boil in salted water as usual. Drain then put back in warm pan with the other 1/2 stick of butter and garlic salt. Toss until well coated.

Do your venison steaks however you like. Set a side and let rest for a few minutes.

Now use corn starch, flour and cold water for a thickening agent and add to the white sauce. Turn up the heat so it thickens. Taste and add more lemon pepper and salt as you want.

Dish up the noodles and steak. Cover the noodles with the white sauce.

Long

That sounds like something that would get in your mouth! I will have to try this.

Your recipe sounds yummy Long. I just cut up my son's cow elk today and got it all wrapped and in the freezer. The hamburger is also ground and wrapped, and I have a 30 pound bucket of ground Italian sausage that I am letting sit in the fridge overnight to flavor more before I package it. It should turn out tasty. It's good in pizza, just fried up with some eggs, or any number of ways. I have some more flavors of sausage to make too. I love that stuff!

I'm going to print your recipe and set it on the counter in the kitchen. Maybe my wife will bite on that one! :mrgreen:

David,

You're supposed to be the one to whip up this meal and surprise your lady. It'll make you the hit of the household, for at least a day or two.

DrMike":f7sapktm said:
David,

You're supposed to be the one to whip up this meal and surprise your lady. It'll make you the hit of the household, for at least a day or two.

I should have guessed I have it all backwards! :grin:

Lemon Pepper/Onion white sauce sounds good,,,,haven't tried it but will have to sometime! Have used that on poultry, pheasants and waterfowl,,, and fish without onion.
A few other's I like with Venison and noddles or home made dumpling's, is again the heavy cream Alfredo of sorts,,new grated Parmesan cheese, black pepper, salt, garlic.
Another is heavy cream again, pepper salt cracked fennel, garlic.
And then the same as above, but with thyme and garlic.
For thickening I use rue,,,equal parts of butter and flour. Melt butter add flour and heat over medium heat till golden brown, add to sauce base stirring.
Other herbs/spice that would go well with pepper/salt base sauce, sage, oregano, marojoram, or for a bit sweeter,,allspice,,,virtually changing up with any as your tastes desires.

Back