What do you want your bullet to do?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
What does perfect bullet performance mean to you. What is the epitome of the perfect big game bullet in your mind?
Consider shooting antelope to moose, from 20 yards to 500 yards, angles, mud caked hides etc, etc, etc......

Just for fun and giggles.

I want the bullet to do much what the NP does. To give away as much energy as possible, and yet make an exit hole.
The NP is also accurate in most calibers and bullet weights. :!:

I'd have to say, I want my bullet to make my target dead. I don't really care how. That said, I expect my bullets to expand and create a shock wave and wound channel, and I like an exit wound. I've read where people say exit wounds are bad, because it means the bullet didn't expend all it's energy in the animal, but I think that's a load of crap. I read a bunch many years ago about "stopping power" of handgun loads, rifle loads, and such, and I can tell you that the best results across the board included exit holes. So as long as it goes where I aim it, opens up, stays together, and exits, I'm happy.

First and foremost it has to be able to hit what you are shooting at. I expect my bullet to expand create good wound channel with out blowing a huge exit hole (relative to bore size). I wan to see 85-95% weight retention. Work over a large velocity range and must not foul the bore too bad. Basically I ant a large wound channel with out massive hydraulic shock, this is why I use the 350 RM.

I want my bullet to be accurate and deadly. I want it to expand, expend most of it's energy inside the animal and still have an exit wound. IMO the Partition is the only bullet for this job. The front half can do all of the damage needed and the back half will give a nice exit wound.

accuracy, accuracy, accuracy. As long as I know that my bullet is going to hit the same spot time after time I realy dont care what it does when it gets to the target. A great bullet cant fix bad accuracy or a bad shot. And if your relying on a great bullet to fix a bad shot I dont think you are an ethical hunter.

And before you get upset, im not talking about using a varimt bullet on big game. Im saying that any big game bullet on the market can provide an ethical kill time after time if it is in the right spot!

POP":bky1bxht said:
What does perfect bullet performance mean to you. What is the epitome of the perfect big game bullet in your mind?
Consider shooting antelope to moose, from 20 yards to 500 yards, angles, mud caked hides etc, etc, etc......

Just for fun and giggles.

The perfect bullet retains about 70% of its weight. It will plow through bone and the front lead core helps to jell the lungs and heart. The exit wound is about the size of a quarter. It must also be very accurate.

The perfect bullet is a Nosler Partition.

JD338

[/quote]The perfect bullet retains about 70% of its weight. It will plow through bone and the front lead core helps to jell the lungs and heart. The exit wound is about the size of a quarter. It must also be very accurate.

The perfect bullet is a Nosler Partition.

JD338[/quote]

Very well said. On a different twist what I don't want is a preimum bullet to come apart in the animal leaving LOTS of blood shot wasted meat. Most any bullet will take an animal down with a well placed shot, some just waste more meat than others.

Simple - The perfect hunting bullet must:

be accurate
expand to double its original diameter
retain nearly 100% of its weight
exit the far side of the animal

and it must do all of this at any conceivable impact velocity, on any game animal, at any angle

Heck, that isn't too tall of an order; is it? I wonder what a box of these bullets will cost?

Charlie-NY said:
Simple - The perfect hunting bullet must:

be accurate
expand to double its original diameter
retain nearly 100% of its weight
exit the far side of the animal

and it must do all of this at any conceivable impact velocity, on an game animal, at any angle

It must also stabilize in flight and be extremely accurate.

oops, sorry Charlie.

My quote of you did not work the way I thought it would. Or it didnt show op on the post like I thought.

I shot a blacktail in august with a 140 gr AccuBond out of an encore pistol in 270 winny that entered the neck/left shoulderjoint, went through the lungs and ended under the skin on the opposite side DUMPING ALL of its energy inside the animal. thats what I want it to do. And the bullet weighed 115 grains after the shot

honkeetonkin

Congratulations on your deer. Can you post a pic of the deer and the bullet?

JD338

ended under the skin on the opposite side DUMPING ALL of its energy inside the animal

There seems to be two schools of thought on the preferred degree of bullet penetration.

Some hunters like the "near" total penetration, thus resulting in the 100% energy transfer idea.

Others, including myself, prefer an expanded bullet that penetrates the off side, thus causing an instant expulsion of blood, hair or tissue and usually leaves a better blood trail when tracking is necessary.

Biggame animals are killed by either provided that penetration is at least adequate.

Exit wounds are always welcomed here! 8)

Accurate
Expands at intended impact velocities / range.
Sheds 30% of its weight essential for max wound canals.
Retains 70% of its weight essential for max wound canals.
Makes exit hole causing 100% lung malfunction and max blood lose.

Energy is meaningless by its self its the wound cannal made by a properly expanding bullet shedding some of its weight as it penitrates 100 and 10%. Causing rapid loss of oxygen to the brain by a rapid loss of blood pressure if the centrial nerves system is not hit. And this is known as going into shock and it can be instintanious.

I agree with everything that most people have been saying, accuracy, penetration, frontal displacement are keys to a great bullet. What I would love is for bullet manufacturers to put out their planning ranges. For example, give minimal impact velocity at which their bullet will expand, and maximal impact velocity at which it will hold together in heavy bone. It seems to me that most big game bullets will function as the ideal bullet in some applications, and will definitely fail in others. In .30 cal, I use a .308 Winchester and a .300 Weatherby, and a bullet that serves well in one is likely to be crap in the other.

Ian

I truly believe that the Nosler Partition is the panacea of bullet performance. The only thing more I could ask for is it it expanded at BT velocities. I am really anal about expansion (or lack there of). This is why I stay away from the Barnes TSX. Generally a fantastic bullet but I have seen it not expand in 4 different cases and it should have in those velocities!

Back