What is your favorite oddball round.

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Let's hear them.

If you do not have one what would you like?

Don't know if it truly qualifies, but I do enjoy my .356 Wins. I also like the 9.3X64 Brenneke. I still want to build an 8X68S.

Yup Shot them and a couple of 6.5x68 Schullers while stationed in Germany..

I would have to vote for the 35 Whelen. Although, it is pretty popular around here, still not many have heard of it, amongst the masses.

I think the Whelen is the cat's pajamas, but there are some other cartridges out there I have no experience with that I think are intriguing. The .348 Winchester, the .225 Winchester, and the .300 H&H are the first three that come to mind.

I consider the 300 SAUM somewhat of an oddball due to the limited time frame which rifles where chambered. My M700 BDL SS has become a favorite and has a bit of "cool" factor being a SAUM.

A true classic that might be considered an oddball to younger shooters is the 300 Savage. I absolutely love my grandpa's old '99. It was my first deer rifle and has taken several in its days.

As far as an oddball that I'd like to build, a Ruger No. 1 in 284 Winchester sounds interesting. The 6.5 and 350 Rem Mags are oddballs, versatile and should be more popular than they are/were.

I'd have fun with a 500 S&W lever gun too!

257 Roberts.
Whats not to like. :mrgreen:

JD338

I've thought that the 9X57 would be interesting. I guess, if I take the bent of this thread to this point, I'm attracted to a number of "oddball" rounds: 257 Roberts; 6.5 RM, 350 RM, 35 Whelen. I should have listed the 280 Ross, though I'm not moving very quickly on load development due to other demands on my time. :roll:

Always Partial to this one.

Why I do not know!

9.3 x 74R

hornady_9-3x74R.jpg

SJB358":3jer8jda said:
not many have heard of it.

The same around here. I was at the toy shop last week and asked if they had any 270-08 Imp ammo around the place. The poor guy checked the ammo rack, "No, I don't see any, we must be out of it"! :mrgreen:

But, one I'd like to have is a 25 Souper. Why? I dunno.

Bill

I gotta name more than one :mrgreen: I have the 243 AI and love that round. Should have the 243 WSSM built on an AR-15 upper around December. Hope to have a 458 SOCOM AR upper sometime next year. The 6.5-280 AI still haunts me!

I'm with Dr Mike, I would love to have an 8x68S. Other calibers I would like that may be considered oddballs are the .307 Win and a 350 Rem Mag.

My one and only is 6.5 Grendel and the only reason I say that is because I can not buy ammo for it at the local sport shop. I for some reason am liking the smaller bores as of late and think the .17FB would be fun to shoot. 25WSSM would be cool to play with also. Around here if it is not a .243/30-30/270/30-06/7mm or 300WM, it is odd. I say Grendel at the barber and people look at me like I am crazy.

Other calibers I would like that may be considered oddballs are the .307 Win and a 350 Rem Mag.

Like I said, by this criterion I'm a collector of oddbal cartridges: I have a 350 Rem Mag and two .307 Wins, in addition to my other two .356 Wins!

Back