What is your favorite oddball round.

Rem Jim":319uc2lk said:
6mm Remington":319uc2lk said:
6mm Remington kind of addicted to that one. :mrgreen:

I have a 6mm REM M700 CLASSIC - but i would not call it a ODD cartridge ! :shock: JMHO :grin:

Cheers RJ

Oh I hear you! Some have thrown the 257 Roberts and the 35 Whelen out there as oddballs, but they too sit on the proper side of the fence on this one.

Gotta go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I've got mine dialed in to 630 yards now, working my way out to 950. I like my 350 Rem Mag too, but thats not really an oddball.

One of my friends is a die hard .308W shooter and when I showed him the 6.5 C, he remarked "thats how they should have built the .308W to begin with." I let him shoot my Creedmoor and he really liked it, a few days later he texted me saying he had ordered one.

FOTIS":2f5w867x said:
Always Partial to this one.

Why I do not know!

9.3 x 74R

hornady_9-3x74R.jpg

The 9.3x74R happens to be one of mine Fotis.
Along with the 7BRM, which is nothing more than a improved 7-30 Waters.
Then too, I suppose the .375JDJ is outside the norm as well.
Beyond those, do Wildcats count?

SJB358":2ypwqwii said:
gerry":2ypwqwii said:
I guess a lot of the rounds that interest me would be considered as odd balls in the general public.

6.5x55
6.5x284
7x64
300 H&H
308 Norma
35 Whelen
358 Norma

Around here those are considered totally normal though :)

Yep. I didn't see an odd one in the bunch. Must be my eyes?

Must be my eyes as well, except the mighty .340 Bee is missing form the list.

I don't have the pleasure of owning anything I would truly call "odd," and now I find my problem is that those mainstream cartridges do so well it's hard to justify duplicating them with their oddball counterparts. However, if I were starting fresh, my battery would have these:

.221 Fireball and/or .222 Rem (or maybe both, to replace the .223s)
6mm Rem (instead of the .243)
6.5-06 or 6.5-284 (instead of the .270)
Might bump the .280 up to an AI
.308 Norma (I'd likely still have a .30-06 for patriotic reasons, though)
8mm Mag (replace the .338)

Still, the cartridges I do have I love to death, even if they are popular...

onesonek":20c52nvd said:
FOTIS":20c52nvd said:

Why I do not know!

9.3 x 74R

hornady_9-3x74R.jpg

Have you loaded for it? If so what? :?:

Not so much oddball as old.
.221 FB
6mm
.300 H&H

I would like to try out .240, 7mm, .340 and .375 Weatherbys; 6.5x47 Lapua and 6.5x284 Norma; 7mm SAUM, 6.5-06, .336-06 and .375 Whelen; .404 Jeffery; .470 Capstick and NE.

Don't even get me started on wildcats and Ackleys...

FOTIS":2i79gd4g said:
onesonek":2i79gd4g said:
FOTIS":2i79gd4g said:

Why I do not know!

9.3 x 74R

hornady_9-3x74R.jpg

Have you loaded for it? If so what? :?:

I'm running both the 250gr. AB and 286 PT with H-4831SC Fotis.

Shortly before I found my .375 H&H Number One, I had a 9.3x74R Number One in my hands... Seriously considered it as it seems like one heck of a cool old cartridge that is still very useful.

Guy,
I do not know how strong the brass is being the only limiting factor in this situation. I know the ruger #1 can take it all day long!
At the same time I can not see Hornady making brass weak on purpose hand tailored to this cartridge! Same case as the modern 45-70 brass in the Ruger #1.

I played with Quick load and "loaded" this up to 63000 psi, what a hammer man!

I have both Norma and Hornady brass,,,,Hornady gives me more life. And your right on the #1 handling more than what the modest data suggest Fotis. Even in the break action Encore, I'm able to get some excellent performance. While my barrel is set up with a 286 gr. PT seated 1 caliber. With that longer throat, milage will vary for other's I'm thinking. But I am running 2600 with the 250 gr. AB, and 2500 fps with the 286 gr..
Not a long ranger, but is not all shabby with .308 Win like trajectories. Then too, plenty or power for any game I will likely encounter anymore.

Guy Miner":2gimwz5s said:
Shortly before I found my .375 H&H Number One, I had a 9.3x74R Number One in my hands... Seriously considered it as it seems like one heck of a cool old cartridge that is still very useful.

I have always thought that the 9.3x74R would be a really cool cartridge combination with the Number One Ruger. They made some and I do not know if they are still availible?

I like all of the old Winchester CF rounds, especially in Model 92/94 Winchester rifles. Only old age and whtever circumstances are between me and my old collection of Pre 64, Winchester 94's and variants.

Right now I'd have to say the 500 S&W, only because I'm playing with one.

Now if the weather and Wife will give me some breathing room, I'll get on the range for zeroing and grouping tests.

My oddball round is the .375 Chatfield-Taylor, AKA .375 taylor, AKA .395/338 Win. Mag. based on a Ruger M77 tang safety action, sitting in a Ramline stock weighing out at 7.5 pounds. Normally I do not name rifles but this one is called, "The Hammer". Why? Because it hits like one at both ends. :lol: Seriously I get .375 H&H power in a 30-06 length action. The rifle is very accurate and it's light enough to carry in some seriously hairy country. It's easy to load for and ES is quite small, 6 FPS for rhe 300 gr. bullets and 7 FPS for the .270 g. bullets. velocity is spot on with .375 H&H specs. 8)
Paul B.

How is the recoil, Paul, say compared to a 250 grain, .340 Weatherby at 2850 fps? However the Weatherby Mark V is about 8 pounds stripped with a wood stock.

Back