What is your favorite oddball round.

Rem Jim":11f7v4op said:
257 STW - now theres a FAST and FLAT shooting cartridge ! :grin: RJ

25 Rum is better. Just does not last! :mrgreen:

FOTIS":1h4epqev said:
Rem Jim":1h4epqev said:
257 STW - now theres a FAST and FLAT shooting cartridge ! :grin: RJ

25 Rum is better. Just does not last! :mrgreen:

Has there actually being some chambered or just talked abouted :?: 257 STW will not have much barrel life either ! :shock: :) RJ

Some of the 257STWs I've shot managed to have the barrel replaced in less than 1000 rounds. Of course, if the shooter is prepared to avoid heating the barrel and maintaining a semblance of cleanliness, especially in the region of the throat, life can be extended considerably beyond that point.

FOTIS":2l215rhe said:
Always Partial to this one.

Why I do not know!

9.3 x 74R

hornady_9-3x74R.jpg

That looks really sweet with a rimmed cartridge in a #1!!

I know man! I was so close to squeezing the trigger on one but then the 7600 Whelen came along.

Lets see...I have a 257 AI, 6.5WSM, 338-06, 6.5X47....I'm just attracted to odd calibers from the get-go :roll: :!:
No one else in my family loads, so someone on here better contact my son when I tip over. I doubt those calibers will be found on shelves any time soon.

I would like to someday own a 6mm-204 and a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Jim Carmichael did an article back in the 90's that I read as a kid that was about a couple 6.5mm wildcats based on the 250 savage and 308 Win(right before the .260 Rem came out), and I have wanted a 6.5/250 savage ever since. I think he called it a 6.5 Bobcat. And since the Creedmoor is just an improved version with factory ammo/brass...

And I have wanted a CZ527 since the first time I handled one in 2007. With 55 grain 6mm ballistic tips having a higher B.C. than their .224" counterparts and the ability to shoot 80-95 grain deer bullets, I think that would be one slick little rifle.

6mm Remington":iirhv0di said:
6mm Remington kind of addicted to that one. :mrgreen:

I have a 6mm REM M700 CLASSIC - but i would not call it a ODD cartridge ! :shock: JMHO :grin:

Cheers RJ

The Mighty 358 STA Magnum, what else would a guy need. Odd to me as not as popular as other Calibers.

Don

I guess a lot of the rounds that interest me would be considered as odd balls in the general public.

6.5x55
6.5x284
7x64
300 H&H
308 Norma
35 Whelen
358 Norma

Around here those are considered totally normal though :)

257 Ackley":2oiqin7m said:
FOTIS":2oiqin7m said:
Always Partial to this one.

Why I do not know!

9.3 x 74R

hornady_9-3x74R.jpg

That looks really sweet with a rimmed cartridge in a #1!!

I got the chance to shoot one a couple years ago. Lots of power in that round and feeding is as slick as butter.

JD338

gerry":2nmis9i4 said:
I guess a lot of the rounds that interest me would be considered as odd balls in the general public.

6.5x55
6.5x284
7x64
300 H&H
308 Norma
35 Whelen
358 Norma

Around here those are considered totally normal though :)

Yep. I didn't see an odd one in the bunch. Must be my eyes?

.260 Rem is odd? 6.5X55 is odd? 6.5X.284 is odd? .300 H&H is odd? .308 Norma is odd? 35 Whelen is odd? .358 Norma is odd? Gerry, where did you get such a strange idea. I'm with Scotty; my eyes must be going on me (don't answer that). :grin:

The .257 Roberts, my favorite crank round! You would be amazed what that round can do given to a slightly demented engineer for experimentation!

The .300 H&H is another round that does not get nearly the respect that it deserves in the hands of a concerted handloader!

Oldtrader3":vi765pg5 said:
The .257 Roberts, my favorite crank round! You would be amazed what that round can do given to a slightly demented engineer for experimentation!

The .300 H&H is another round that does not get nearly the respect that it deserves in the hands of a concerted handloader!

I love the Bob, and the Ackley Version is my favorite round to reload for... so versatile...

300 H&H is on my list to own someday...

243 WSSM = fast, accurate, deadly on deer with a good shot placement, and under appreciated in my opinion
280 Remington = a real 'tweener' cartridge with the 270 and the 30-06 on either side.
300 H&H = I want one, but I can wait. Its been around a long time and can do nearly anything
9.3x62 = if its good enough to take EVERYTHING in Africa, it is good enough for me and elk (someday)

The .32 Win Special gets no respect. I owned several, one for 40 years that I hunted extensively with and they are better IMHO than the .30-30.

Back