What kind of rilfe is this?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
Okay boys, I don't know what kind of rifle this is but would love to find out. Here is the background. This is my wife's greatgrandpa's rifle. There are no marks of any kind on it and her family really does not know much about it. I did not have anything to measure the muzzle with but was able to take a 30-06 bullet and get most of it to slide into the muzzle end. The action works but the trigger does not function. I would like to know if it is a real rifle or and worth trying to fix. Any info would be great.

gun5_zps3d702823.jpg

gun2_zps260a2534.jpg

gun4_zps49048d41.jpg

gun1_zps4bf13e14.jpg

gun3_zps0d31191f.jpg

gun6_zps6b208e51.jpg

Wow, no idea what it is, but it looks pretty sweet.. I imagine someone here will know it though..

Trapdoor of some sort I'd say. I'd take to a gunsmith and see if you can't get the trigger to function, and have a chamber cast done. If it turns out to be an old BP cartridge that you can still get or form from common brass, I'd probably try shooting it. Looks like a neat old rifle, got a fireplace to hang it over if all else fails?

Come on guys, I need a model. The family has no clue and this is most likely the only thing my wife will get as a hand me down. I know someone here will know or at least point me to a place where someone would know.

taylorce1, that is it. I looked up the value and it goes for about $100. Now I have to wait to see if my wife will get it someday. I would have a smith look it over and see if it could be fired. It is 32 rimfire. I found some ammo online 50 rounds for $80.

Would you let the rest of us in on the secret? I find it strange the rifle does not even have a proof mark on it. Test firing it, I think, would require a tire and a long string. Good luck and wear safety glasses.

duckcreek, there is no secret. I have held the gun 3 times and the last time I was able to see it I took the pictures. My father-in-law has it and is fighting stage 4 cancer so talking guns was not on the top of the list over Christmas. I was hoping he would say take it and enjoy the research and history but that did not happen. I would love to have someone take it apart and see if there are any marks hiding.

Back