What kind of single stage press?

redrider03

Beginner
Dec 7, 2007
I am looking at buying a single stage press and I am wondering what is the best kind for the money. I am looking at the Hornady, RCBS Rockchucker and Lyman Orange Crusher 2. I will be loading .22-250 all the way up to .338 Ultra Mag. I am wondering which you would get? If you have any used ones that you are trying to get rid of, I wouldnt mind hearing you propositions. Thanks

RCBS is excellent, so is their customer service.

JD338

RCBS has been in my family for longer than I can remember.
My earliest memories are showing up at my uncles farm in ND and my dad going straight to the reloading press. the next morning we all went out P-dog shooting.
Most of my equipment is green but I do have a few Hornady dies that I like very much.

I love my RCBS. If you're thinking RUM's, be sure to get a press with a large opening. Redding makes just about the biggest around, but the Lee Classic Cast has a big opening, too. The RockChucker is a good sized opening. I have a Reloader Special-5, and it's a bit tight for the magnum length stuff.

RCBS.....I remember helping my Dad reload when I was probably around five years old. 30 years later I still use that same press !!!

I have 2 RCBS presses a Rock chucker supreme and a very old RCBS jr. Both work great, I also second RCBS customer service it is great!

My dad gave me his rockchucker and my uncle still has his which they both purchased in the early 70s. Both are still in action and have loaded thousands and thousands of rounds.

I've got an old RCBS Rockchucker that i have had for many years. If i were buying a new one i would take a very long and hard look at the Redding UltraMag Press. Its a very strong no-nonsense high quality press. It would be my pick of the any of the new presses.

I use a RCBS JR press that my brother in law gave me. It still works great and I do most of my big rifle stuff on it. I bet you can find a used one somewhere fairly cheap.

Corey

RCBS rockchucker. It will handle any task that you assign it, and as already stated, their service is excellent.

I`ve a RCBS Jr, Lyman Orange Crusher, and Forster Co Ax on my bench and all give good service. If I was to only be allowed one though, I`d stay with the Co-Ax.

I have an RCBS older single stage press and their Turret press. All the presses you mentioned would be good presses but RCBS is legendary with their customer support. I like the turret press because occasionaly you need to go back a step or two in the reloading process (find a damaged case or something) and you don't have to pull your die and then have to readjust.

You can not go wrong with any of the aforementioned ideas. I started with a lyman orange crusher and my buddy started with a Lee challenger.
With prudent handloading I was getting .695" groups at 300 yards with a 300 rum. My buddy Matt was getting 1.25" groups from his .243 Win at 347 yards.

Would I really need the extra half inch of clearance that the Orange Crusher offers over the Rock Chucker? I would probably loading magnums with it also. Also will the RCBS accomidate dies from Hornady, Forester, and Lyman if I wanted to use them instead of RCBS dies? Thanks for the help guys!

The Rock Chucker is a venerable press, but it lacks one feature of several other presses: a hollow ram and tubing to capture spent primers and debris more efficiently, keeping them off the floor. The lack of this (and therefore the tendency to dump primers onto the floor) is the only complaint I have heard of the RC.

Presses with better spent primer handling capability, in order of price/quality:

Lee Classic Cast
Redding Big Boss II
Redding UltraMag
Forster Co-Ax

I have the co-ax, and am extremely pleased with it. It has a unique floating die retention system with the ability to snap dies in and out in seconds. The universal shell holding jaws eliminate the need for traditional shell holders. The design of the linkage and ram/guide rods yields an incredibly strong and accurate press. I especially like the ergonomics of the over-the-top handle motion. And, since the priming system is not located in the ram, there is no slot in the ram to allow primer debris to get into the press ways. The co-ax guide rods are well away from the depriming area, virtually eliminating the chance of debris getting into the ways.

Andy

I put 45 more years on my grandfathers Rockchucker. Sounds like the votes are in. There are other good presses but the serious single stage reloaders seem to gravitate to the RCBS Rockchucker. Of course in my case I'm just nostalgic.
Good reloading
Elkhunt :grin:

All modern dies will in fact work on all modern presses.

Too be honest I have 3 presses on my bench, a RCBS Jr a Lyman Orange Crusher, and a Forster Co-Ax. I perfer the Co-Ax over the others overall but, do use all of them at times.
The Orange Crusher replaced a old RCBS Rock Chucker about 15/20 yrs ago and I have been very happy with it. Personally I don`t really think either is measurably "better" although the RCBS does definatly have the best customer service in the world behind it. Both load(ed) straight accurate ammo and otherwise did as expected of them. The Co-Ax is faster to set up and change dies on, easier to get rid of runout with and has a tube and bottle to catch spent primers. It also is "smoother" feeling in use and there is no changing shell holders with it. The Lyman has a larger window if you are loading long magnum cartridges then the RC or Co-Ax. The Jr has just been a great little press ever since my father bought it in the mid 60s. The window is shorter then the others though and `06 cartridges are about as large as will fit. It also doesn`t always have the "oomp" to size larger cases.

Back