What will be your cartridge/rifle of choice for this fall? Second?

Darryle

Beginner
Aug 19, 2020
I keep saying that I will use this or that come hunting season, but I always fall back on the APR 280 Ackley. It just flat puts things on the ground inside 400yds.

My "plan" this fall is to use the new Tikka 223, Aero/Liberty 6.5 Grendel and the APR 6.5 Creedmoor, but the night before, that could all be for naught.

FTR, furthest shot on Whitetail does would be 240ish. Probably won't shoot any bucks this year, I will let the kids have those, pretty fun watching them get worked up anytime horns are in the picture.

My 28 nosler with 175 ablr or my .300 wm with 180 gr ab or tbbc. Depends what tags I draw. So far I don’t have much to look forward to!

Unless one of my 30-28 Noslers tickles my fancy over the summer it will be one of my 300wsm's using 215 Bergers or 208 ELD-M's. The one I used last year was a Defiance Anti action, Bartlein carbon fiber barrel, and a McMillan Game Scout stock with a Leupold VX6 3-18. I might run another 300wsm that I haven't played with much. Its a Lone Peak Razor action, Benchmark carbon fiber barrel, and McMillan Game Scout also with a VX6 3-18.

My new LH Rem 700 358 Win will see field time this fall for moose and elk. Deer season should see me packing the Model 88 in 250 Savage in the thick timber, and the 6.5 PRC or the 270 WSM for open terrain (both LH X Bolts). All 4 of these rifles need to be hunted and take game.

Branching out a little this fall, but not much... ;)

6.5 Creed Bergara will absolutely get some time afield probably for both black bear and mule deer.

Sure am hoping to spend at least some time hunting with Dad's old sporterized Springfield in 30-06 of course.

In January, ol' Filmjunkie and I might be hunting together in Oregon for cow elk and aoudad sheep! For that, I think I'll go with the 7mm Rem Mag, a nice Winchester Model 70. Ranges sure seem to be long there, and aoudad have a reputation for being physically tough, so the 7mm RM seems to be a good choice.

Of course all that is subject to change! :)

Guy

If I pull a WY Antelope tag, probably the 338;RUM because it just shoots so good. If Sue draws, she will use her 30 Nosler.
If I draw a bear tag, I'll use the 375 H&H Mag.
Crop damage deer will put the 280 AI into the rotation along with the 338 RUM and 308 Win.
Rifle season I will probably use something else like the 35 Whelen, 45-70 or the 308 Win.
Sue will use her 30 Nosler as it's her favorite rifle.
Of course this could all change if something new shows up.

JD338

Some great looking rifles here for sure. I'll be using the same rifle that I've used for what seems like forever and that's the Remington CDL 25.06 with the Speer 120gr Hot-Cor. This has been my go-to for deer and coyotes for a very long time and no doubt my favorite. My daughter has a Rem .260 and we always swap rifles for a couple hunts when i can talk her into it, she loves her rifle too :).

Sure am hoping to spend at least some time hunting with Dad's old sporterized Springfield in 30-06 of course.
Guy,
I know it may be sentimental to keep it as it, but have you ever considered changing the bolt shroud to a winged safety (think Model 70)? I asked my grandpa the same thing about his sporterized Mauser and he didn't even know you could to it.

As usual - Tikka varmint 30-06 for driven hunts (barrel is getting old...) and Savage Storm 6.5 CM for the rest. LOS Hunter in 30-06, Lehigh controlled chaos in the CM.
Both LH.
Our normal Game is smaller than yours and the distances are shorter.

If I do my part, game is down.

NP

I keep saying that I will use this or that come hunting season, but I always fall back on the APR 280 Ackley. It just flat puts things on the ground inside 400yds.

My "plan" this fall is to use the new Tikka 223, Aero/Liberty 6.5 Grendel and the APR 6.5 Creedmoor, but the night before, that could all be for naught.

FTR, furthest shot on Whitetail does would be 240ish. Probably won't shoot any bucks this year, I will let the kids have those, pretty fun watching them get worked up anytime horns are in the picture.
What’s an APR?

I have a couple of choices.
My Remington 700 in 30-06
IMG_2785.jpeg

And my Tikka T3x compact, in .308 Win.

IMG_3876.jpeg

With the type of hunting I’ve been doing the last few years the Tikka will be getting most, if not all the time in the field. Walking the areas I’ve been hunting mostly lends itself to a smaller “carbine” sized rifle which the Tikka fits very well, and being the .308, allows me to use it anywhere I hunt be it the thick public woods or the open private fields.
I’m really enjoying this rifle and it is a pleasure to carry all day still hunting.

Back