What will be your cartridge/rifle of choice for this fall? Second?

Scotty, once I had one, it was all downhill from there. :) I have grown to really, really appreciate the features of the M70 CRF. They are all I want to shoot now. Too bad they only made the LH versions for such a limited time.

I keep saying that I will use this or that come hunting season, but I always fall back on the APR 280 Ackley. It just flat puts things on the ground inside 400yds.

My "plan" this fall is to use the new Tikka 223, Aero/Liberty 6.5 Grendel and the APR 6.5 Creedmoor, but the night before, that could all be for naught.

FTR, furthest shot on Whitetail does would be 240ish. Probably won't shoot any bucks this year, I will let the kids have those, pretty fun watching them get worked up anytime horns are in the picture.
M70 FTW 7mmWSM w/ 160g AB on most days.
Into the Cherokee National Forest, a 6lb 700 7mm-08 w/ 140g NBT.
Nasty days, Tikka 7mmRM w/ 150g Partitions.

-B

Hopefully my next hunt will be a bull or a cow nilgai with the 300 Win Mag and 200 Accubonds, for red stag or deer, it will be the 6.5 x 284 with the 143 ELD-X
Hunted plenty of hogs and deer with the Creedmoor and 143 ELD X and 147's, its time to use the 6.5 x 284 this time, it never tasted blood.

Hopefully my next hunt will be a bull or a cow nilgai with the 300 Win Mag and 200 Accubonds, for red stag or deer, it will be the 6.5 x 284 with the 143 ELD-X
Hunted plenty of hogs and deer with the Creedmoor and 143 ELD X and 147's, its time to use the 6.5 x 284 this time, it never tasted blood.
I had great performance with the 6.5 CM 130 gr Terminal Ascent on red stag at 296 yards...the 6.5x284 with the 143 ELD-X should work just fine!
I like the 6.5x284...just never managed to take anything with it while I had it...missed a nice mule deer buck at well over 200 yards freehand as I didn't have a rest or shooting sticks at that point in time. To be fair, he turned just as the shot broke, but I would have felt and faired better with a rest.

My wife and I drew a moose tag this fall so my first choice will be the Tikka in 6.8 Western with 175 gr Sierra TGK bullets. I'm going to load up some 120 gr Barnes TTSX bullets in her 6.5x55 Tikka and try to get a bull in to under 200 yards or so. If it's out father I'll use the 6.8 W since she won't want to shoot that far. We will also have tags for mulies and whitetails and cougar since there are apparently a lot of them in our new area.

I might also use the Rem 700 35 Whelen for deer when sitting in heavy timber in the evening since it has an illuminated reticle. There's a nice whitetail buck not too far from home I'm going to try to get as soon as the season opens.

My wife and I drew a moose tag this fall so my first choice will be the Tikka in 6.8 Western with 175 gr Sierra TGK bullets. I'm going to load up some 120 gr Barnes TTSX bullets in her 6.5x55 Tikka and try to get a bull in to under 200 yards or so. If it's out father I'll use the 6.8 W since she won't want to shoot that far. We will also have tags for mulies and whitetails and cougar since there are apparently a lot of them in our new area.

I might also use the Rem 700 35 Whelen for deer when sitting in heavy timber in the evening since it has an illuminated reticle. There's a nice whitetail buck not too far from home I'm going to try to get as soon as the season opens.
Sounds like a great plan Gerry. Best of luck to you and your wife this season.

JD338

Good for you, Gerry. We'll all be pulling for you. Your plan seems quite sound.

1-Manners EH1 with adj comb
2-Defiance Anti XM length, and rail
3-TT diamond
4-Ended up using a Krieger #5 7.5tw instead of the Benchmark CFW in the photo.
Paint by Pucker Factor Precision.
5-MDT? Bottom metal with a 3 or 4 shot cutdown mag by Kinport Peak.

It's a common thing. I admire the one-gun hunter. Sometimes I'd like to be that fellow. But I'm so doggone curious about other rifles, other cartridges, other scopes... Gah! It's not a rabbit hole, it's a tunnel maze. I would have happily done all of my big game hunting with Dad's 30-06 Springfield...

Guy
allways felt sorry for the 1 gun hunters, can't comprehend not spending the weekend before hunting season checking zero on at least a dozen rifles, stirring up the memories they made in seasons past and those hunters no longer with us that were in on those seasons.

I believe my main gun will be a Tikka T3x Super Varmint in 6.5 PRC with a TBAC Ultra 7. Haven't decided on a load yet. It'll either be a 129gr ABLR, 130gr AB or 142gr ABLR. Then I have an Encore 7 RM rifle with Interbonds that I'm playing with. Of course I have to get one with a handgun, Freedom Arms 454 and/or Sig P220 Hunter in 10mm. So many choices! Hell, may use my Kreiger barreled 270 or Encore pistol if given the chance.

Been a busy year/summer for me, finally back home and looking forward to the fall. I have antelope, deer and elk tags.
Antelope i was thinking the 25-06 not sure on the bullet yet
Elk going with the 264wm with a 143 bondstrike, or 30-06 with a 165AB
Deer haven't decided may do a lever gun or pistol, also have a ruger no 1 in 243 that i havent taken hunting yet, or could just end up with the 260

I’ve settled on my new Beretta BRX1 in 300 win mag for this years moose hunt. It continues to shoot very well with Hornady precision 200gr ELDX. Using the more compact harvester evo supressor and with its 22” barrel it is much more manageable than my Seekins havak with its 26” barrel and 9” thunderbeast.
IMG_6523.jpeg

My wife will be looking to fill a caribou tag with her Winchester 70 stainless 270 win with 130gr TTSX.
IMG_1725.jpeg
for a backup and in case the moose hunt turns into a griz hunt I’m bringing the ruger Alaskan in 416 ruger. I have a good shooting load using 350gr Speer magtip @2580fps that should fit the bill nicely.
IMG_5513.jpeg

Bear,
Looks like you are ready for anything AK throws your way. Best of luck to you and your wife this year.

JD338

Back