What's the favorite Moose caliber nowadays?

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
???IMAGE00064.jpg
Here is a 73"er we killed back in late 70s with a German hunter.......
He also shot sheep and caribou with us!
IMAGE00063.jpg

Most of the locals hunting in my AO likely carry whatever is handy. I should imagine there is a good representation of .308 Win, 7mm RM and .30-06. When we see clients coming into this region to hunt with guides, there is quite a variety of firearms. I've seen some .375 Rugers recently. There have always been .338 Win and .375 H&H carried by clients. It would be interesting to see which cartridge is most popular.

I haven't hunted moose yet but when I do, I will be using my 338 RUM with a 250 gr PT at 3024 fps. It is more than adequate for any moose near or far.

JD338

I've personally hunted moose with everything from a .280 to a 9.3X64 and quite a few cartridges between. All worked well when I did my part.

Around here it has been rounds like the 30-06, 300 Win Mag and 7mm Rem mag with a bunch of others mixed in. Not sure what the most popular ones are today although those 3 would still rank quite high.

I shot my 2 Idaho moose with a 358STA and a 416 Rem mag. I didn't shoot one in AK the couple times I was there but I toted my 375-358STA both times. This year I'll either take my 300wsm or a 338 of some flavor.

If I'm ever lucky enough to go on a Moose hunt, I'll be using my 300 WSM. I wouldn't mind having a crack at one with my 444 Marlin.

I like my .300... no flies on a 180AB at 2950fps for anything on this side of the planet.

JD338":2k77t8ri said:
I haven't hunted moose yet but when I do, I will be using my 338 RUM with a 250 gr PT at 3024 fps. It is more than adequate for any moose near or far.

JD338
You must be made of steel. I got 3000 fps with a 250 gr Sierra GK and the recoil felt like a Mack truck hitting me!

elkhunternm":2cu36wz6 said:
JD338":2cu36wz6 said:

JD338
You must be made of steel. I got 3000 fps with a 250 gr Sierra GK and the recoil felt like a Mack truck hitting me!

I'm thinking he has a little Gunner in him :lol:

My favorites would be the 35 Whelen, 338 Win and 35 Newton... It's time to get busy!

I've taken one moose and it was my old 7mm Rem Mag. Worked fine.

I have a trip to Newfoundland scheduled in the fall for my first moose hunt. The 35 Whelen is getting the call of course. The 300 might be the backup.

The Grandfather who died the year I was born took many Minnesota and Canadian Moose with his (now mine) Savage 99 .300. If I ever get the chance I would like to use it as such provided the hunt will provide for close shooting. The couple boxes of ammo I inherited with the rifle were one Savage Indian logo 150 grain on which he had written "deer" and another Remington-Peters 180 grain on which he had written "Moose, bear."

As a dairy farming exchange instructor to the Provinces of Manitoba and Ontario, I imagine he had many opportunities to take moose on or off the books. He was not a trophy hunter, but many pictures from the 50's show him proudly holding his M99 with small bull or cow moose, caribou, deer or bear alongside Native or Canadian folks.

elkhunternm":2fubbrh6 said:
JD338":2fubbrh6 said:

JD338
It's not bad from the LSS but the XTR is a bit more lively.
I did the load development both rifles at the same time. 24 rounds off the bench a couple times took it to the hairy edge but I got it done.
I could use my 280AI, 35 Whelen or 45-70 but I bought the 338RUM to hammer elk across a canyon and moose across a lake. I had 3 friends that have shot moose at 400-500 yards across water. I know lesser rounds work but for me, it's a fast 338. You still have to put the bullet where it needs to go. Shot placement is king.

JD338

JD338,mine is a Montana Rifle Co. and it weighs 9 lbs with scope. Finally settled on the 250 gr NP at 2940 fps. Recoil is there,just nothing like that of the 250 gr Sierra load.

Yup,shot placement is #1.

the one featured in lefty's --old video's from the 40's" It was tipping over moose then and it is tipping over moose today. Also, the 30-06 has tipped a few over and I would be just as comfortable hunting with it today as I was in yesteryear. yesteryear for me was the late 1990's

I just served up a softball for Dr Mike, Gil, and Earle

JD,
Cash is "King" but shot placement is paramount! :p

Question: Will a.348 W really kill a moose????? Rumor has it that it's just an old .33 Winchester on Steriods??? I even heard at over 200 yds you could almost catch them in a baseball glove??? Is that true.........
You who.........Cheyenne!!!

The moose I shot 13 years ago was only 35 yards away, so the 250 Speer Grand Slam from my .338 wasn't really needed. But hey, that's why I bought the rifle, just in case it was a long shot or not the optimum angle.

I'd really like to hunt moose again and if I do I'm pretty sure it'll be a .35 Whelen trip, although I might take the .348 or .450 Marlin along incase I get a wild hair to use something with open sights.

35 Whelen":30t4ugvz said:
JD,
Cash is "King" but shot placement is paramount! :p

Question: Will a.348 W really kill a moose????? Rumor has it that it's just an old .33 Winchester on Steriods??? I even heard at over 200 yds you could almost catch them in a baseball glove??? Is that true.........
You who.........Cheyenne!!!

I heard this rumor and was curious so we trapped a moose and stuck a baseball glove on him and tied him up at 210 yards. we told him this is either going to sting a little bit or you will never remember what hit you. I love moose meat

But some rifle rumors are true. like if you take a perfectly good and perfect caliber like say the 30-06 and try to make it into something better. turns out that it can't be done, although there are those who tried and then had to work overtime trying to convince others that it is better.

Earle a little play on your post referring to a female earlier. My grandfather tells me that god created women but the devil invented Bridgette Bardot. BTW--who the h ell is Bridgette Bardot and what is this Johnny come lately 35 whelen

Bridgette Bardot is another old gal who was once young, Cheyenne. I saw a picture of some of the sweet things from my childhood, gathered at a reunion of some sort. All I could think was, "Who are those old women?" :? Surely, I never knew any of those. Fortunately, they didn't have a picture of me, so there wasn't much worry on my part about snide remarks. My wife was the one who sent me the picture! :shock: Can you believe it?

Now, young lady, did you really ruin a good baseball glove by strapping it on a moose at 210 yards. Last time I tried such a trick, the rotten critter ran off with my glove. Had no idea that moose like to play baseball. :mrgreen:

Back