Where were the editors.

geo

Beginner
Oct 28, 2009
While reading the Hodgdon 2011 Annual Manual I noticed a writer wrote that he was using 41.0 grains of LVR behind a 170 grain sierra to get 2300fps. And 42 grain of LVR with a 150 Sierra to exceed 2500fps.
I not in the position to say if this is safe load or not, but I am surprised that these loads got past the editor. The same manual list these two load with a max charge of 36.3 of LVR for the 170 bullet and 38.5 for the 150grain bullet.

I have loaded my 30-30 with 36.3grains of LVE and the 170grain Sierra. I was getting 2229 fps average velocity. That is about 100fps faster then the Winchester factory loads that I used for a baseline. Accuracy was good and about the same as the factory stuff.

I can't speak about the editors but this is exactly the reason we all should take any and all load data and cross reference it with our reloading manuals and the bullet/powder manufactures.

JD338

This is exactly the reason we all should take any and all load data and cross reference it with our reloading manuals and the bullet/powder manufactures.

+1

A good lesson is safe hand loading. Each rifle is different, and we can't assume that because a load was safe in one rifle it will be safe in all rifles.

Back