Which bullet to use in Florida with a .300 Wby Mag

sniper208

Beginner
Jan 17, 2006
I would appreciate member's input please. My son just bought a .300 Wby Mag and we hunt in Florida. We have not started our custom loading process yet. Our primary target is deer (yes, most are dog-size but we get some good ones in north Florida), and our secondary target is wild hog (175#- 400# class). I shoot a .30-06 loaded with 200gr Partitions and have had no problems with one-shot kills on either animal. He shoots a howitzer with a stock on it. Should he use 180gr Partitions, or 180 Ballistic Tips? I am concerned that the Partition will go right through a Florida deer with minimal expansion but will definitely take down a large hog with a shoulder shot. The Ballistic Tip will work very well on the deer, but what effect will it have on a shoulder shot on a large hog? Opinions please. Thanks!

sniper208,

Welcome to the board!
The 180 gr BT is designed to open up below 3000 fps impact velocity.
The PT would be a good choice and they will open up just fine on even the smaller deer.
You might want to consider the 200 gr AccuBond, excellent all around bullet from mice to moose.

JD338

Thanks for the input! I have some 180 PT on hand so we might go with them. Why the AccuBond? I haven't researched that bullet. I found the PT worked for me and stopped looking for any other. Any insight about factory ammo available with the 200 AccuBond?

For 300 Weatherby, I would shoot a 180 or 200g AB. WHy? Because they are more accurate then a Partition, have a higher BC, and still penetrate every bit as good as a Partition. I would opt for the 200g if it was me. I shoot the 200g AB out of my 300 RUM at 3200fps and have shot 3 elk with it, all over 400 yards, they didn't go far, trust me. The 300 Weatherby has enough case capacity to take advantage of the bigger 200g bullet. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the info on the AB! I will look for a box and load it for him. We plan to hunt a new area this year and the distance to target could be from 50 yards to 300 yards. Just in case we can't get anything loaded, any idea which factory round is topped with the AB?

Thanks!
Tim

Cant help you there, haven't shot factory ammo since I started shooting. I dont stay on top of factory ammo. Maybe Federal, they usually load premium bullets for quite a few calibers.

I live near Gainesville, FL. I have a .300 Win Mag Weatherby Vanguard Stainless. I plan on using 150 Gr. Ballistic Tips for deer and hog. I already have 50 loaded and ready.

sniper208":38lgl1pf said:
I would appreciate member's input please. My son just bought a .300 Wby Mag and we hunt in Florida. We have not started our custom loading process yet. Our primary target is deer (yes, most are dog-size but we get some good ones in north Florida), and our secondary target is wild hog (175#- 400# class). I shoot a .30-06 loaded with 200gr Partitions and have had no problems with one-shot kills on either animal. He shoots a howitzer with a stock on it. Should he use 180gr Partitions, or 180 Ballistic Tips? I am concerned that the Partition will go right through a Florida deer with minimal expansion but will definitely take down a large hog with a shoulder shot. The Ballistic Tip will work very well on the deer, but what effect will it have on a shoulder shot on a large hog? Opinions please. Thanks!

Head shots on the piggies.

Hi, I shoot the 300 wb out here in Ore. If factory loads are used, use 180 gr. Nosler PT in the Weatherby ammo. Sub MOA...

We shoot 1500Lb Moose with 30-06 and 180 Sierra Gamekings.....you must have some tough deer!

Alaska":zvn8qb3c said:
We shoot 1500Lb Moose with 30-06 and 180 Sierra Gamekings.....you must have some tough deer!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back