Which Cartridge???

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
If I were to buy a custom type rifle without having my gunsmith build one in 7mm08, 260 Rem, 257 Roberts, or 280 Rem as example of cartridges which cartridge would you choose to hunt with excluding Brown bears, Moose and Bison and what rifle set up like barrel length, stock, scope ect. ect. would you perfer.

Let me start by saying I think I would want a bolt action rifle with a 22" barrel in a bedded stock with freefloated barrel and a good 2.5 or 3 to 14 power scope like Zeiss Conquest or Leupold VX III in 7mm08 or 280AI. This is just to get us started and is not a final choice of mind just a starting place. I am really thinking of a final rifle to add to my inventory for that moment I want something different than my 300Wby or .375Wby. Thanks and please give me some ideas.

Since you left elk in as one of the animals to be hunted i would chose the 280.
I recently had a 280 AI build that shoots like a dream.
Rem. 700 Action blue printed
Shilen #3 contour barrel, 1-9 twist 24in.
Remington KS stock

Since you all ready have extended range rifles I say the Kimber M84 in 7mm08. Its light weight easy to carry and is a solid +300 yards gun. The 280rem is better for longer range shots with the heavier bullets like the 160gr AccuBond but you have 300 mag guns for that already. But I would stay with a VXIII 2.5-8 for it. If your looking for a less recoiling cartridge than your 300 mags for extream long range the 280rem. I am not sure if Kimber chambers it bit they do the 270win. And for deer you maybe very suprised what it can do well past 350 yards. But so can the 308win the basic US sniper rifle.

bullet":2jg9wyz8 said:
If I were to buy a custom type rifle without having my gunsmith build one in 7mm08, 260 Rem, 257 Roberts, or 280 Rem as example of cartridges which cartridge would you choose to hunt with excluding Brown bears, Moose and Bison and what rifle set up like barrel length, stock, scope ect. ect. would you perfer.
...................Does it need to be a custom rifle??? And what is in your inventory now, besides your 300, 375, 416 Wby`s and your 350 Remy Mag???

Big Squeeze":33iv3usv said:
bullet":33iv3usv said:
...................Does it need to be a custom rifle??? And what is in your inventory now, besides your 300, 375, 416 Wby`s and your 350 Remy Mag???

Savage 7mmSTW, Ruger MK II 22-250, A-Bolt 300WSM Everything else I have sold. A-bolt is use by my son-in-law, the 22-250 by my grandson and I am selling my 7mmSTW to a friend because my 300Wby really pulls that service anymore and I have a buyer for my 350 Rem mag because I prefer to use the 375Wby instead. Does not need to be custom rifle.

bullet":tsekv4xu said:
Big Squeeze":tsekv4xu said:
bullet":tsekv4xu said:

Savage 7mmSTW, Ruger MK II 22-250, A-Bolt 300WSM Everything else I have sold. A-bolt is use by my son-in-law, the 22-250 by my grandson and I am selling my 7mmSTW to a friend because my 300Wby really pulls that service anymore and I have a buyer for my 350 Rem mag because I prefer to use the 375Wby instead. Does not need to be custom rifle.
....................GEEEES! You just got that 350 REMY!......You may want to stay away from a custom job and spending more money in the process,,,, because you MAY change your mind again?? Still have the 416? Selling that too?...............OK! A 22" barrel in the above calibers only? Open to other caliber choices besides a 260, 7/08, 280 and the 257 Roberts???????

Savage 14 in 7mm-08. Call the savage custom shop. They can make you one for less than the price of a Remington non-custom gun.

bullet,

The 7mm-08 and 280 Remington would both be excellent choices. If you want something different, go with a 280 AI and don't look back.

JD338

I would take a rem 700 short action and put a 22" hart heavy fluted S.S.barrel chambered in 325 wsm or 338 rcm. I would top it off with a 3.5 x 10 x 50 zeiss conquest with a z600 reticle. This is a combo that I'm currently thinking about. I think the 325 or the 338 would be ideal with the 22" barrel and perform well on game up to elk. Shoot a 180 bullet and deer hunt also. The ballistics are great on these two cartridges and the 225 bullet will handle the heavy game. Good post bullet, I like this kind of thread. Feels like your reading my mind though.

Hey, I wonder if the Savage custom shop would do a 280 or 280AI but I do like 7mm08. POP, I got Savage contact phone number off their web site and I will call them tomorrow and see what the possibilities are.

Big Squeeze":3nl5k3es said:
bullet":3nl5k3es said:
Big Squeeze":3nl5k3es said:
bullet":3nl5k3es said:

....................GEEEES! You just got that 350 REMY!......You may want to stay away from a custom job and spending more money in the process,,,, because you MAY change your mind again?? Still have the 416? Selling that too?...............OK! A 22" barrel in the above calibers only? Open to other caliber choices besides a 260, 7/08, 280 and the 257 Roberts???????

What cartridge choice besides what I mention would you mention??

bullet":1r1oa9ri said:
Big Squeeze":1r1oa9ri said:
Big Squeeze":1r1oa9ri said:

What cartridge choice besides what I mention would you mention??
........................I`ll leave the scope and rifle choices to your own tastes.......Well!...In looking at your 4 possible choices, I see that they all are from .25 caliber, up to and including a 7mm! Those four are all very good cartridges...........So! Assuming that anything between a .25 and a 7mm is a possible fair game choice for you, I`ll go out on a limb here and suggest a cartridge that will not only do anything the other 4 will do, but is a flatter shooter at the same time, and it will give you a little of all 4. You may have to increase your barrel length by an inch or two longer than a 22",,,but what the hey!!!...........................A 270 WSM????? A light A-Bolt? A light Savage too maybe???? A beautiful Kimber???..............Yep! The 270 WSM would be my top pick vs the other four. If you run the downrange ballistic #`s and trajectories; very impressive for the 270 WSM. As you know, it is close enough to the 270 Wby. (game won`t be able to tell the difference), and would surpass the other four in the trajectory dept. if not the downrange energy dept. as well..............AND! If you ever get or have the inclination to use it on elk or moose???? Go for it!!!! You have that option!!

If you like the classic calibers, the .270 Win is hard to beat.
You mentioned a short barrel, which might pair nice with a short action. 7mm-08 or .308 would be nice with that. .308 builds our real nice on a short 700 REM action, right 6ppc?
For something new and modern? .270 short mag, or 280AI. If I chose either one of those I might go with a longer barrel.
I don't expect that grandson will be shooting that 22-250 forever, What do you think he might grow into? Maybe a matched pair, one for you and one for him? :wink:

Now why did you have to go an plant that in my mind along with what is already there????? :shock: :idea: :idea: :lol: 8)

Like I said man. Call Effie at the Savage custom shop and have her build you one to your specs. The new ones are indeed beautiful see here. This is my 7mm rem mag. Low profile barrel nut ring, hinged floorplate, no more gas pedal bolt release....new one is a button under thretrigger guard and more........ and all this for less than a remington bdl.

114e.jpg

114d.jpg

114c.jpg

114a.jpg

Back