Who uses an ogive measurey thingy?

pharmseller

Handloader
Feb 13, 2012
I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong. Or better yet, if I could be reloading more right.

When I measure OAL I measure from the tip of the bullet. Accubonds and BTs aren't much of an issue because they're all really close to each other in length. Spin the seater up or down, measure, bingo.

Partitions and VLDs aren't quite so uniform. I sort through bullets to find one of predetermined length and use it as the representative bullet, so to speak. Spin the seater, find the right length, bingo.

But I've read about measuring from the ogive, since that doesn't change, while the tip can be off for a variety of reasons. So the question is, how many of you measure from the ogive, and how do you do it? And who just measures a bullet and calls it good?

P

I do measure off the ogive. I use the Hornady comparator and the correct insert. I feel that I get very accurate results by doing this. If my neck tension is simular, I can get within .002" when I seat my bullets.

The problem I have is changing lot numbers. The measurement changes when this happens. I just measure the old bullets and compare them to the new ones and go from there for my new seating depth. I don't know if this is correct or not.

I got a few of the Hornady inserts but didn't really like them compared to my Sinclair "nut" . The nut is cut like the taper would be into the rifling... I think it's a lot more consistent.
I have often found throughout the years that when you have a jump from the ogives to the lands of your rifling that is accurate it often is a pretty good place to start with most any bullet. In short a lot of my guns like the same jump to the rifling and you simply cannot do that by measuring oAl. And as Wisconsin teacher just mentioned a lot of time with different lot numbers will really vary surprisingly. I don't even record my loading data or my results shooting by oal measurement anymore it's all done by base of case to ogive.

So I'll be the first guy to say I don't measure off the ogive. I've used the OAL case gauge device in certain guns before to see how far I am from the lands. All of my rifles are hunting guns and I usually have quite a bit of room compared to SAAMI OAL. Some of the rifles have enough jump that I can't get them in the magazine and I'm still not even close to touching the lands.

Maybe I've gotten lucky but I always started off at the OAL for a cartridge then worked up my load going up with my powder charge. On a couple of rifles I've played with the seating depth a bit to fine tune things. Once I've gotten it down I never touch my dies again. I'm no bench rest shooter, but I've been able to come up with an accurate load for everything I have....so far.

I know a lot of guys who really like to tinker and spend 10 times the amount of time on their case prep as I do. But in the end, I'm happy with anything that'll shoot 1 inch or less.

I measure off the ogive and am pleased with my results. I have found accuracy improved with more attention to case prep and consistent seating depth.

On a new bullet. I take a sized case I plan on using with it. Place the bullet nose first into case mouth and spin it. creating a scribe line on the bullet. For example in a 308 case the scribe line will be right at .305-.306" on the bullet. This gives me a point of reference I call rifling engagement contact. I then use a case with a groove cut in neck to allow a bullet to slide as it touches the rifling contact point. Cover the bullet with a sharpie pen, let dry. Then insert bullet in test case just deep enough to hold it. Cycle it through the action a few times after measuring resetting bullet. This gives me the rifling contact point for that bullet. I then compare the two reference points. Lay both bullets side by side and compare lines. At that point of measuring, I look at max magazine length. If my chosen bullet contacts rifling at an OAL of 3.420" and my magazine length is 3.500 I ignore the magazine length. I then look at the 3.420" oal and decide what jump I want to start at. I check the OAL with the line made by spinning the bullet in sized case. This is a data point I only use as a reference. If the OAL was set so the bullet was in the rifling too close to this line, You end up with a bunch of powder in your action and the need to dislodge a bullet with some dowel tapping action.

I use one for most loads. My 35 Rem is the exception as so far I've only used one type of bullet, and once I set the COAL I haven't touched the seating die.

I usually measure each load after getting them to about .010-.020 of final, then use the micrometer seating die to get each one exactly like the others. Most of the cartridges I load for I've gotten the micrometer seater, and it really works. If I don't have one, I will still verify length to the ogive when I start a new box of bullets, and adjust accordingly.

I use OAL except as stated in one of the posts to get a starting length with a new bullet. Once the seating die is adjusted they all get seated.
If there is variation in OAL I just go with it.
If the bullets don't perform as needed I move on to a different load, seating depth, or bullet.

Even if I like to see small groups, I am most interested in where the first two shots go and how far they are from the expected point of impact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sinclair has the simplest comparitor. The Hornady/Stoney point comparitors are top notch. Knowing the measurement to the lands for each rifle is a good thing even if only loading to SAMMI OCL.

I use one, I do think it's more accurate than measuring OAL. But as much as some bullets vary in OAL, sometimes they vary in Cartridge Base to Ogive (CBTO) just as much...

I use a Hornady comparator to measure off the ogive. Accubonds, or at least the ones I have measured base to tip can be off quite a bit bullet to bullet.

I use a Stoney Point/Hornady comparator to ensure that I measure off the ogive. The only exception are loads designed for lever guns that require a standardized OAL.

OU812":o08tti8k said:
I use a Hornady comparator to measure off the ogive. Accubonds, or at least the ones I have measured base to tip can be off quite a bit bullet to bullet.

Same here for the same reasons.

I use the Hornady bullet comparator. I've been using it for about 20 years. I like tight groups and this the only way to truly know where the ogive is in relationship to your rifleing. I haven't used the OAL for serious loading for years.

I load to OAL in my hunting rifles, using off the shelf RCBS dies. These rifles will, when I do my best, group Nosler bullets into 1.5", or less, at 200 yards. My powder charges are safe in my rifles. That's all I have to say,

All the best, Jim

I use a comparator on any bullet without a plastic tip to measure seated depth. I will sometimes use it to measure to the ogive on plastic-tipped bullets for loads that are very accurate and transfer that off-lands distance to a new bullet load. Otherwise for just loading a batch of plastic-tipped bullets I just measure to the tip. The tipped bullets are very consistent.

Interesting, been wondering about how many use comparator length. I use the Hornady, I like it.

I have seen older Sierra bullets be different from newer ones, as to length from base to ogive.

I use the Hornady Comparator. I agree consistent neck tension is so important in getting consistent seating depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back