Who's hunting with a lever-action this year?

For my home state I'll be using two Marlins, one in 45-70 the other in 444, and one Henry in 45 Colt. :grin: I like levers. I alternate rifles with stands and days so none of them get their feelings hurt.

ShadeTree":33y54o70 said:
JD338":33y54o70 said:
I'll be using my Marlin 1895G 45-70 with a VX-3 1.75-6x32mm scope and loaded up with a Nosler 300 gr BST.
My daughter might be using my Marlin 1894 44 Rem Mag with a VX-3 1.5-5x20mm and shooting a Nosler 240 gr JHP.

JD338

I could pick this exact gun up that looks in very good to excellent condition for $450. Good price on that gun?
ST
Not sure which rifle but assume the 1895G.
I bought mine off of Fotis a few years back
The only powder I have used is H322 and my best group went .400" c/c at 100 yards with the Nosler 300 gr BST.

JD338

I had two levers from marlin (44 mag with an octagonal barrel, and a 30-30), but sold them, when I moved from target-shooting to hunting. We have some silly restrictions on bullet energy and both are not legal on anything bigger than roe-deer (and we have lots of wild boar...).

I really don't NEED more rifles. But when the divorce is settled and I have some money to spare (well....), I am drawn between an AR10 and a lever.
Yeah, both sides of the spectrum...

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

JD338":25d4yf9r said:
ShadeTree":25d4yf9r said:
JD338":25d4yf9r said:
I'll be using my Marlin 1895G 45-70 with a VX-3 1.75-6x32mm scope and loaded up with a Nosler 300 gr BST.
My daughter might be using my Marlin 1894 44 Rem Mag with a VX-3 1.5-5x20mm and shooting a Nosler 240 gr JHP.

JD338

I could pick this exact gun up that looks in very good to excellent condition for $450. Good price on that gun?
ST
Not sure which rifle but assume the 1895G.
I bought mine off of Fotis a few years back
The only powder I have used is H322 and my best group went .400" c/c at 100 yards with the Nosler 300 gr BST.

JD338

Yes, the 1895G. Decent price I figured on a gun I'd like to have at some point, but when thinking it over I'm not sure it's high enough on the list for me yet to squeeze out other guns I'd like to aquire first as opportunity and funds allow.

Vince":2sgdpqaz said:
I’ll be going for black bear in Arizona using my Marlin 45-70, dogs, and horses.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty cool! Best of luck. (y)

Which bullet are you using?

Guy

Guy Miner":2d3m4eo9 said:
Vince":2d3m4eo9 said:
I’ll be going for black bear in Arizona using my Marlin 45-70, dogs, and horses.

Vince

Guy

I’ll be shooting a box of Winchester 300 grain Ballistic Silvertips.

I haven’t worked up a load and these function well in my rifle. Good luck in Wyoming sir.

Vince

Best of luck to you as well. I'm thinking that your 300 gr BST's are going to do a fine job for you!

Guy

Vince":3u6nu89c said:
Guy Miner":3u6nu89c said:
Vince":3u6nu89c said:

Vince

Guy

I’ll be shooting a box of Winchester 300 grain Ballistic Silvertips.

I haven’t worked up a load and these function well in my rifle. Good luck in Wyoming sir.

Vince

I’ll be interested. I have three boxes of these waiting to hammer something!

My daughter and I will each be carrying a 99F in .308. One's a '57 vintage rifle and the other came off the line in '59.

maverick2":85x0dxrx said:
My daughter and I will each be carrying a 99F in .308. One's a '57 vintage rifle and the other came off the line in '59.
[emoji115] Now that's what I'm talking about! Good Ol' Savage 99 lovers there! Me too!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

maverick2":3mjdussa said:

Wow, a pair of 99’s in 308!
Keep them clean and use them!

Took a young Newfoundland bull moose with my 1899 300 Savage back on Sept 18. Second shot, at about 65 yards, dropped him.
This weekend is youth deer hunt for 14-15 year old kids here in western NYS. One of my grandsons is planning on taking this rifle out with him.
He'll use the same load, 150 gr Partition over a modest load of Varget.
It is a remarkably pleasant rifle to shoot, and surprisingly accurate. Topped with a Redfield peep.

ShadeTree":1d8mqosy said:
Excellent hunt with the classic 300! That's some cool beans stuff right there.
I whole heartedly agree! I love my .300 Savage in my Savage 99!

Think I'll be taking the M99 out this year for a couple of my woods stands. We're either sex in MN, so I don't feel the need for optics to be sure of antlers in the thick woods. Mine is in .300, and topped with a very vintage set of NOS Marbles buckhorn open irons I found a couple years ago on a dusty hardware store shelf mixed in with some obsolete telephone stuff "Up Nort." The owner said they hadn't sold gun parts since the 80's, and these were still in the cardboard package with a penciled in price of $5.99! He gave me the very vintage price on the sights if he could keep the box.

I'm shooting the discontinued :x Speer mag tip over a slightly sub-max load of IMR 4064.

Four actually. A BLR on .308 and a Savage 99 in 300 for deer. A .358 BLR and a Marlin guide gun in 45-70 for Elk.

Polaris":1b2v8wp1 said:
Think I'll be taking the M99 out this year for a couple of my woods stands. We're either sex in MN, so I don't feel the need for optics to be sure of antlers in the thick woods. Mine is in .300, and topped with a very vintage set of NOS Marbles buckhorn open irons I found a couple years ago on a dusty hardware store shelf mixed in with some obsolete telephone stuff "Up Nort." The owner said they hadn't sold gun parts since the 80's, and these were still in the cardboard package with a penciled in price of $5.99! He gave me the very vintage price on the sights if he could keep the box.

I'm shooting the discontinued :x Speer mag tip over a slightly sub-max load of IMR 4064.
Outstanding

Got a lever fan here [emoji106]
Stillhunter":3kd0aka5 said:
Four actually. A BLR on .308 and a Savage 99 in 300 for deer. A .358 BLR and a Marlin guide gun in 45-70 for Elk.

You are not alone, by the time I get my Model 88 (rebarrelling to 7mm-08) home and finally get my Marlin 336ER in 356 Win, I will have a cool dozen levers!

Then there is a beautiful Winchester '94 Big Bore in 307 with gorgeous wood calling my name...
And a nicely restocked Model 99 in 250-3000...

Blkram":1j8oa0ws said:
You are not alone, by the time I get my Model 88 (rebarrelling to 7mm-08) home and finally get my Marlin 336ER in 356 Win, I will have a cool dozen levers!

Then there is a beautiful Winchester '94 Big Bore in 307 with gorgeous wood calling my name...
And a nicely restocked Model 99 in 250-3000...

which would give you 14---you have more lever action rifles than I have in total. Congratulations on such a fine collection of levers

Cheyenne I believe has 8 in her collection of levers, but it is my understanding that she only uses two un her daily life, the 7mmwsm and 348.

Blkram, Do you also have a favorite to hunt with ?

Does anyone else on the forum have as many levers as Blkram, or cheyenne, and what are they ?

Back