Who's hunting with a lever-action this year?

If 35 Rem was allowed in the southern portion of Michigan, I'd be using my Marlin 336.

Given the current 450 Bushmaster craze, there's no reason a 35 Rem or 30-30 wouldn't be as logical, since the ballistics are just as poor as the 450, but the politicians have yet to allow them. As soon as they do, I'm ready.

Until then I use my 336 when I know my shot distance is limited to under 200 yards, preferably 150.

SJB358":2637xg9f said:
I’m going to run the 348 Win this fall for deer hunting up North, especially if I’m going to be in the woods.

Scotty, I think once someone actually uses the 348, they realize what a cool caliber it is, good luck on your hunt and I hope you and Bill are having a successful hunt right now.

A lot of levers moved in and out of the house, but the ones that stayed were the
savage 99--308 and 250/3000
Win 71--348
Marlin 1895 45/70
and my husband always thought it would be sacrilegious not to have a 94 30/30

bdbrown66---"cindy" I like it!

Gil--SWEET and congratulations, great collection

My son sent me an email once and attached an advertisement from Big Horn Armory. They were offering a Limited Edition 500 Linebaugh set ( rifle, revolver, knife ) for 25000.00 per set. They only made ten sets and they sold out vey quickly. Anyway, he ask me how much I loved him and I responded, "not that much"

My favourite lever to hunt with has been my BLR in 358, over the past 15 years. Prior to that, it was my Marlin 375 Win. Of course, this may change once I have a chance to hunt with my new to me Browning Model 71 348 Win, once I get some A-Frames for it.

There is a Big Horn Armory leverin 454 Casull with beautifu wood listed on another site right now for $3500. Very nice, but not in my budget with other priorities at the moment.

Well, I got er done with a lever-action today!

Harvested a nice woodland caribou bull with double shovels with my custom Winchester Model 88 in 338 Federal using Federal Premium ammo loaded with 210 gr Partitions. 104 yard shot. He was in a group of about a dozen caribou. The rest of the herd did not leave until after I was almost half way to the downed bull after the shot. We had two other caribou come by while field dressing the bull. The one, a young bull came to about 60 yards of us before even realizing we were there. Spooked a bit, then stood there watching us for a few minutes before sauntering off into the bush. Neat animals to be around and watch.

Hunted about 3 hours northeast of Fort St John, very close to the BC/Alberta border. Was an absolutely beautiful day! -5 degrees celsius this morning with a slight skiff of fresh snow, that was mostly gone by mid-afternoon, with the temp rising to about 9 above.

Guess it's time to start carrying the Model 88 in 284 Win!
(Still trying to obtain ammo and components for the 348)

Gil, congratulations on your hunt. You and Susan will enjoy this fine table fare. We love the Caribou as well.

Just my opinion which is worth exactly what it is costing you. I used the 88/284 and did not like it. At first I liked the looks of the rifle, but found the stock style actually created more recoil for me than the 348. Also the trigger is a joke in those rifles. If you want that caliber look at the 7mmwsm in the Browning. I love that rifle

Of course once you get everything you need to load the 348, all your other rifles will become safe queens

p.s oops,, it has been pointed out to me that you already have the 88/284 and that you like the 88---in that case forget everything I said LOL

No worries Cheyenne! LOL

Yes, caribou is great meat, and the liver is Susan's favourite wild game liver.
Last week, I made hamburger soup with caribou and it was the best soup I have ever made!

You are right, the stock configuration on the Model 88 does nohing for recoil, as it was designed to be shot with open sights. And yes, the triggers are terrible. But the rifles under went two trigger improvements in '65 and '67 or '68, and the last one, serial numbers above 168000 had the best of the poor triggers. My 284 is serial number 169xxx and has very little creep and overtravel. It is actually pretty nice to shoot. Took over 20 years to find a nice lever action in 284. I really did not care whether I found an 88 or a BLR, as I like both rifles. The custom 338 Federal is also of the same trigger group, and I had the trigger cleaned up as much as possible by the gunsmith when built, so is not too bad. With enough practice, one gets used to it and knows how and when the trigger will break and is able to shoot it decently. My old BLR has. The worst trigger on any of my rifles, but I know it so well that I know exactly when it will break and can keep 3 rounds in an inch at 100 yards. Good enough for me.

And yes, I am looking forward to being able to hunt with that 348!

Blkram":28zy1epm said:
Well, I got er done with a lever-action today!

Harvested a nice woodland caribou bull with double shovels with my custom Winchester Model 88 in 338 Federal using Federal Premium ammo loaded with 210 gr Partitions. 104 yard shot. He was in a group of about a dozen caribou. Guess it's time to start carrying the Model 88 in 284 Win!
(Still trying to obtain ammo and components for the 348)

Congrats! (y)

Gil congrats on the hunt! Get yourself over to Midway, they have a clearance on the Swift A-frame bullets for the 348. $9.50 off and free shipping if you apply the promo code they are offering right now! Only 3 left!

Shadetree,

Unfortunately being north of the border does not allow to get those A-Frames from Midway:(

We do have a picture of Gil's 'bou.

es71nkX.jpg

Rather unique bull. Congratulations, BlkRam.

Wow Gil! I know little to nothing about caribou but that one sure is a beautiful healthy looking animal with some real impressive looking headgear to boot! Excellent picture and congratulations!

On the midway thing...…...is that just a policy with midway or is that a regulation issue between the borders? In other words, could I buy the bullets and ship them to you?

ShadeTree":2nltvpe7 said:
Wow Gil! I know little to nothing about caribou but that one sure is a beautiful healthy looking animal with some real impressive looking headgear to boot! Excellent picture and congratulations!

On the midway thing...…...is that just a policy with midway or is that a regulation issue between the borders? In other words, could I buy the bullets and ship them to you?

This is a regulation imposed by Homeland Security after 9/11. No powder, bullets, brass, actions, scopes shipped out of the USA except through a licensed broker. So, even if you shipped them, you run a risk of running afoul of Homeland Security.

DrMike":3vmkyxna said:
ShadeTree":3vmkyxna said:

This is a regulation imposed by Homeland Security after 9/11. No powder, bullets, brass, actions, scopes shipped out of the USA except through a licensed broker. So, even if you shipped them, you run a risk of running afoul of Homeland Security.

Gotcha. That's a shame. I'd gladly help out if I could, but given that I guess it's out of the question.

I appreciate the thought and offer!

Trying to find a dealer here that will get some in.

I'm right there with you Guy!
That's one animal I have yet to hunt in N America

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Back