Why and when did Handgun Partitions go the way of the Dodo?

RiverRider

Handloader
Dec 9, 2008
I really would like to have some 300-grain .429" Partitions for my .50 muzzle loader. I think I remember seeing them at SPS as recently as a year ago, but when I decided I'd like to try them out they were gone. And now there's nothing on the Nosler website about handgun Partitions. Does anyone know what, why, when, etc?

Also, how do the new "Sporting Handgun" bullets stack up?

I gave all my 45's to Scotty to load in his 45/70 as I didn't have a need for them anymore.

It really doesn't make any sense why they stopped, unless demand wasn't really there. I wish they never stopped making the Partition Gold Moly free's... Those things just plain are awesome.....

I want the 300 NP for my 45-70 to return. Right now I will try the TSX.

It has been a few years now that Nosler has stopped the production of the Handgun Partition Golds.
They were awesome bullets and I used them in my S&W as well as my ML taking quite a few WT deer.
I too would like to see them come back.

The Sporting Handgun works well on WT too.
Shot this doe a couple years back with a 240 gr JHP from my 44 Rem Mag.
IMG_0323.jpg

JD338

I'm sure it's market/sales driven. Handgun hunting is still a relatively small market niche. Specially with what I suspect, the greater share of HG hunters are most likley not wanting the dollars tied up in a Premium bullet like the Partition. Most I know, like to plink/practice with the same load/buulet they use for hunting. Myself look at them as inexpensive insurance, and would switch loads for plinking and hunting if that be the case.
Partitions or most premiums in my mind, in a number situations, Necessary,,, no or not always. If the demand was there to cover production cost and put enough money in the profit column, I bet they would be on the production schedule. That be my swag anyhow

I am using the .451 diameter 260 and 300 gr partitions out of my muzzleloader, they are not easy to find. I found 300gr 's at Wideners Reloading and Shooting Supply inc. They are showing them in stock for 24.00 a box of 50. I am loading them in my 50 cal accura v2 with MMP HPH 24 sabots. I know they are not .429 diameter but it could be a good option for you for a very good price.

I have used the .451 260 gr PT in my ML as well and they are an awesome bullet.
$24 a box is a good price.

JD338

I suspect that many handgunners found that the Partition wasn't needed at typical revolver velocity. A standard jacketed hollow point or jacketed soft point works well. Here's a .44 mag Federal American Eagle 240 gr JHP recovered from the water jugs at close range:

IMG_0518.jpg

Good penetration & great weight retention & expansion at a mv of 1250 fps. I've used these on mule deer and found they perform very well.

I like the Partition, particularly at rifle velocity, but at handgun velocity I think many hunters & handloaders decided they just weren't needed. If even more penetration is needed, there's always heavy hardcast.

FWIW, Guy

I would love to have the 250 PT for the 444 Marlin. I'm also wanting the 300 grain .458 PT back. I'm sure Guy is right, that PTs aren't required for handgun hunting deer, but the muzzleloader hunter really benefit from them. Might try a Swift A-Frame, should be similar and they have three good choices for the 44.

Guy Miner":24gccg0b said:
I suspect that many handgunners found that the Partition wasn't needed at typical revolver velocity.

I'd never thought about it like that, but I do believe you're onto something.

For hunting, call me crazy, but a few extra bucks for good bullets is a good insurance policy. Not saying regular bullets aren't great, but I'll put my money on PTs.

Back