Why are Match Rounds typically hollow points?

Aug 31, 2006
Why are match rounds, typically hollow points? I was thinking that it had something to do with bullet stability from the air working into the hollow point. I looked at it like this, if air gets forced into that hole, it will only go so far and then no more can get in and it forms almost an air tip. The air might be more consistant as a tip, than anything manufactured. Do I need seriously psychological help, or am I on to something.

Building a bullet as a hollow point results in a better chance of getting the base properly squared. Remember, the base is the last part of the bullet to leave the barrel. And the last part to get affected by the remaining gas washing past. If the base or muzzle crown is not square, the bullet will "tip" on exiting the bore, resulting in increased dispersion (larger groups) downrange.

The opening at the tip is because the bullet jacket can't be closed completely - at least, not easily.

A match hollow point has a verry small hollow point.The reason is mostly to get the majority of the bullets weight to the rear for stabillity.The jacket is so nearly closed that even Moly won't find it's way into the point while tumbling.If I can get a good picture ,I'll try to get it on here for you to see what I mean. :) It is nothing like a hollow point pistol round,or a Barns X, for instance.

Cool, it obviously had something to do with stability, I was just way on the other end of the spectrum. Thanks guys.

Because it's much easier to make an accurate bullet with the HP design! Bullets akin to the Lapua are made such that the lead core has to be inserted into the bottom/base of the jacket and it's much more diffiicult to perform this operation than during the point up process as with a HP design!

Sharpsman":7en9euhs said:
Because it's much easier to make an accurate bullet with the HP design! Bullets akin to the Lapua are made such that the lead core has to be inserted into the bottom/base of the jacket and it's much more diffiicult to perform this operation than during the point up process as with a HP design!

If you saw the process you'd could more easily begin to understand the reasoning behind the hollow point.

There are two stages to making them, three if you swag cores which a lot of us do.

You drop a swagged core into a jacket and core seat in a core seater or core seating die.

once it's core-seated you then use a point up die to compress or point-up the tip... the diameter of the hole or meplat is limited by the diameter of the pin that can push the finished bullet out of the point up die.

very small openings meplats less than .062 are nice but that means a very small diameter pin that can push it out, you go too small you risk bending the pin or pushing it down through the tip into the lead which re-expands the tip of the bullet and it's a bitch to get it out of a point-up die at this point... so guys making bullets don't venture much below .062 meplat wise in 6mm which I'm familiar with...

make any sense for ya?

Back