Why do you suppose

OU812

Handloader
Apr 18, 2006
That Nosler load data seem to be all over the place from edition to edition? Case in point. In Nosler 6 edition a 300 rum using Nosler brass, 200 AccuBond and Magnum powder starting load is 94gr and max is 98gr. 94 grains shows 3070 for velocity. I don't have Nosler edition 7 so we'll skip to Nosler edition 8. Same brass brand, bullet brand, powder brand yet in Nosler 8 starting is 89gr and max is 93 gr shows 3070 for velocity. That is a 5 grain difference in max charge.

How can charge weights of "safe" loads differ that much while using the same components?

My swag is different powder lot. The one used for the load info in Nosler #8 may be a faster lot than the previous load.

elkhunternm":285b7qvw said:
My swag is different powder lot. The one used for the load info in Nosler #8 may be a faster lot than the previous load.

Seems as good a guess as any. I know lot to lot does have variations but 5 grains? There are other powders that also have large charge weight changes as well. We all know or should no when changing any new component of the same brand you need to drop back in charge weight and work up.

OU812":ytn5w8mn said:
elkhunternm":ytn5w8mn said:

Seems as good a guess as any. I know lot to lot does have variations but 5 grains? There are other powders that also have large charge weight changes as well. We all know or should no when changing any new component of the same brand you need to drop back in charge weight and work up.

Well said. One of the most consistent powders I've used, H1000 was about 4 grains different in speed from a previous lot. The funny part was the old lot was faster overall. The newer stuff couldn't be pushed as hard either. Surprised me actually.

I guess I've been pretty lucky powder wise as I have only seen .5 to 1.5 gr difference in any powder I have used lot to lot.

Sometimes I wonder how we keep from blowing up or rifles with all these changes. I never had a chronograph till I got one from Fotis on one of his fire sales and I'm glad I did because it really opened my eyes.

elkhunternm":2w65d05j said:
I think every handloader needs a chronograph. Just be careful and don't shoot one though. :oops: :lol:

Been there, done that... :lol: :lol: :oops:

I think every handloader needs a chronograph. Just be careful and don't shoot one though. :oops: :lol:

They're an amazingly elusive prey. In many years of hunting them I've only managed to bag two. :lol: :lol: :lol:

They're an amazingly elusive prey. In many years of hunting them I've only managed to bag two. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

They are such tricky rascals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Knock on wood I haven't had a really bad mishap yet :wink: and have only had the sky screens go flying but not sure what caused it since the bullet struck the target where it was aimed and well in the middle of the supports. My good friend Fotis told me how to set it up and I have had no mishaps so far. Just make sure everything is centered. :mrgreen:

Dwh7271":26r36i0r said:

They're an amazingly elusive prey. In many years of hunting them I've only managed to bag two. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have two Chronys to my credit and one Oehler! :shock: Life can be interesting when slinging small projectiles at high velocity between small rods.

I have found with the 300 RUM the big diff is who makes the brass. I have starting loads with Remington brass that blows the primer in Norma brass. Since Nosler doesnt make the brass it could be from two different makers causing the change in loads.

truck driver":1yyhcvst said:
Knock on wood I haven't had a really bad mishap yet :wink: and have only had the sky screens go flying but not sure what caused it since the bullet struck the target where it was aimed and well in the middle of the supports. My good friend Fotis told me how to set it up and I have had no mishaps so far. Just make sure everything is centered. :mrgreen:
My swag,is muzzle blast.

elkhunternm":3mnvzzcm said:
truck driver":3mnvzzcm said:
My swag,is muzzle blast.
I have seen the muzzle blast affects from a 300Bee but didn't expect it from the 35 Whelen /AI. Lucky I didn't break anything. :grin:

Back