Why isn't there a 7mm 160 grn BT?

gbflyer":1idja19n said:
Hornady catalogs 5 current 162gr 7mm bullets. The Interlock and ELDX would work great. Not sure if they are available for you.

Yes, all Hornady's offerings are available here. I have a great load for the 162 A-max but it's quite destructive on deer hence my change to BTs. I'll be cracking on with the 150BT for now.

I tried the 165 Gamechanger but it won't stabilise in my 9 twist.

Kind regards,

Tim

I've only shot deer with both the 160gr AccuBond and the 150gr Ballistic Tip with my 7mags.For deer,I like the 150gr BT better than any bullet I've ever shot.I get exits from both bullets with similar wound channels,but the 150gr BT gives me just a tad bigger wound channel and quicker kills on deer than the 160gr AccuBond.The 160gr AccuBond being bonded,is a great bullet too,probably a better bullet for bigger game with better penetration.

The 160 gr BT seconds are available now at SPS.
I have a few bags coming to try in the 280AI. They should do well on WT deer.

JD338

I saw them listed on Nosler's web page earlier in the year but they weren't available yet.The last few weeks they were available on Nosler's page and SPS.Last night I looked on SPS and they 6 bags available,still available on Nosler too,so people have been buying them up rather quickly.The specs on the 160gr Ballistic Tip is the same,.531BC and 1.385 length as the 160gr AccuBond,so probably the same jacket is used on both bullets.Not sure about the difference in the hardness of the lead used on the bullets,but essentially the same bullet,one bonded the other not bonded.I don't know what took Nosler so long to come out with these 160gr Ballistic Tips,but they should be a great bullet as well as a great seller too.

I 160 AB would be nice in my little 275 rigby. Right now I really like the 160 hot cor. Have a pretty good load with 145 grand slam. But it seems like the 160 grain is perfect for that caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This comes from Nosler's FAQ.

What is the difference between the Ballistic Tip® and the AccuBond®?

(Externally, they look the same except for the tip colors, Ballistic Tip® bullets are color-coded by caliber while all AccuBond® bullets have white tips. Internally the Ballistic Tip® is not bonded and is designed for controlled expansion on medium game with approximately 50-60% weight retention. Conversely, the lead alloy core of the AccuBond® is bonded to the jacket. This bonding increases weight retention (65-70%) and slows expansion resulting in deeper penetration and enhanced bone-breaking potential in larger animals.)

So the difference is one is bonded,the other isn't.As for weight retention,if both bullets exit,you probably cannot tell if you have 5%or10% more retained weight with the AccuBond over the Ballistic Tip.Kinda goes right along with my experience.Both are great bullets.I see just a tad larger,but not too much,wound channel with the Ballistic Tip.I've only recovered one bullet that did not exit and that was a 140gr AccuBond.The retained weight on that bullet was 62%.

Back