Why the disparity in the .338-06 vs .35 Whelen?

Did the young fella get the deer Scotty???? And what load was you using ???? How far, how big etc?? Anything like this??
settadeer.jpg
:shock:
Ok I am joking................... I love setters so much I cant believe I posted that!

SJB358":3fk4k2kc said:
The little 358 Win claimed another Va deer yesterday. Same results as before, shot, deer laying on the ground. Hard to beat that 358 Win. The more I use it and see it used, the more it impresses me. Scotty

Scotty,

The 358 Win is a big stick in a small bundle.
Congratulations on the deer hunt. Pictures?

JD338

JD338":d4wx0po6 said:
SJB358":d4wx0po6 said:
The little 358 Win claimed another Va deer yesterday. Same results as before, shot, deer laying on the ground. Hard to beat that 358 Win. The more I use it and see it used, the more it impresses me. Scotty

Scotty,

The 358 Win is a big stick in a small bundle.
Congratulations on the deer hunt. Pictures?

JD338

I do... Here is one. I took a deer with the 336C 35 Remington and 200gr CLRN! Devastating. Small deer, but a very awesome woods combo.

e4bea6d0.jpg

My best friend, who had never hunted the entire time I knew him took an interest this year. He hunted once before with Brian and I, and yesterday, he took his first deer with Brian, my son and I! He used my Browning BLR 358 with the 225 PT's.

9f16d73d.jpg

It is a true friend who will lend his BLR! Congratulations to your friend and to you, Scotty. Great fun in the woods. Was it spot and stalk? Still hunt? Tree stand? Come on, give us the details.

DrMike":ksrimn2j said:
It is a true friend who will lend his BLR! Congratulations to your friend and to you, Scotty. Great fun in the woods. Was it spot and stalk? Still hunt? Tree stand? Come on, give us the details.

It was a club hunt down in Brian's area. The last hunt of the year. We were both up in stands about 75-100 yards apart watching a creek bottom. It was pretty cool to hear him shoot and cycle the little Browning.

Shaun (my buddy) has been either on a team with me and we have been stationed together or close by for a long time. He was bitten hard by the hunting bug. I will post up some more details on our final hunt for the 2011-2012 season. Scotty

Hey, I'm always lending rifles just to introduce people to the sport. Good for you and congratulations to Shaun.

Nice Scotty :grin: congratulations to your friend. Long live the 35's

You guys are hilarious! Colonel Charles Askins wrote an article in Guns Magazine (I think?). in 1969 for the thaen new Browning BLR saying the same thing that you guys are saying, nearly verbatim. I guess all of the time between 1969 and now has been suspended!

Charlie, I can't account for the time Col Askins wrote that as I wasn't born till 1977, but I like that little Browning is a well made rifle with excellent handling and it's built strong like a bolt gun. It's only downfall is the length of the mag and the trigger system. Both aren't huge detractors to me. The trigger can be addressed and with 225 PTs the mag is a non issue. I like that 358 a bunch. Hard hitter, easy to load for and great to carry.

Scotty,

Nicely done buddy. Congratulations to you and to Shaun.

JD338

Thanks fellers. It was a tiny deer but I thought it was wounded. Then again, big deer aren't all that big here either! It was a good chance to bloody the 35 Rem. I was more happy to see my buddy take his first deer. That made everything worth it. I love the excitement in new hunters. Thanks again to Brian for being a great hunting partner.

Scotty, the trigger sertup was always a deal killer for me on the Browning BLR. There are still a few seen around locally for Roosevelt elk hunting. They will always be popular for the compact design and .35 caliber. Sorry, I forget sometimes, I was 27 years old in 1969 and was wing design engineer at Lockheed Aircraft in Marietta on the C-5A.

This is what your looking for Scotty!
Here is one a hunter from Oklahoma shot a few years back, with a 358 BLR; it was 228lbs dressed.............. seriously for minute ----------->
Congrats on a great hunt this past weekend!
DSC000602-1.jpg

Each caliber gas its own peculiarities, I guess, I can get either the 225 gr or 250 gr to shoot in every .338 Caliber rifle that I have ever owned but have trouble with the 210 grain, in every rifle, go figure?

Charlie,
The .338 that I hunted with most of the time I guided in Alaska; we shot Fed Premium .210s in; and it shot them 1.5" consistantly. However it shot the 250s, more in the 2" sorta groupings. It was one of the early Browning Composite Stalkers;[barrel cut to 23" and Magna-ported as that was all the fad back then] And was very lightweight for a magnum recoil. I used to have a Past Pad but it would still almost knock the fillings outta your teeth, off the bench. So it shot just the opposite to your guns .............. go figure. The Model 70 Super Grade .338 I had, would shoot much better than that little Browning; but it weighted almost TWO pounds more,so the recoil was much more acceptable!!!Mostly because it had such an outradious piece of Black Walnut, that was very dense.
It shot 250s just as well as it did 210s no difference to speak of. I certainly dont miss the Browning knocking the headphones off me, and I really feel I can do ANYTHING I ever did with that gun with the >Whelen< with almost 06, sorta recoil. Gotta be the best trade off one can make.

Great picture of the buck.

Charlie, I kinda believe the 225 PT in the 35 is copy of the 210 for the 338. It shoots well in the Browning at around an 1" with little trouble, I run it at 2450. I hear of others that go faster, but using W748 in the rifle, it is a cheap powder, and the gun likes it. I can't see me messing around much more with it. I did find a smith to smooth out the trigger and will likely send mine off shortly for some work. With the creep taken care of, I believe it will be even better.

Oldtrader3":43rl992u said:
Sorry, I forget sometimes, I was 27 years old in 1969 and was wing design engineer at Lockheed Aircraft in Marietta on the C-5A.

I've spent the last 29 years of my life maintaining and flying in FRED. We're retiring some birds this year and it makes me feel like part of me is dying. Many despise her but I love her. Nothing hauls trash like a Galaxy!

SJB - our BLR's may be sharing a bench at some point this winter. Not progressing with anymore load developments till I get the trigger worked.

Scotty ,
Just browsing thru an old book written on one of the most respected guides in Alaska old Hal Waugh[Game Trails] wrote to a client about the merits of the .358W that his load was 45grs of Norma 203 in front of a Bitteroot 250gr bullet. And went on to tell about all the Alaskan game he had shot with his little Model 70 . Then said "the public let one of the finest little [big guns] go down the river when they overlooked the .358W! He had also sucessfully shot large Brown Bears with it and many head of Moose, although his famous Model 70["Big Nan"] rechambered to .375 Weatherby was his standard carry........... it is now on display at the University of Alaska in Fairbanks.

Back