wildcats

Blkram":os4s1iww said:
Mike,

It looks like your feet are shuffling along because you are looking down that slippery slope! LOL

April,

If I was a betting man, I would put my money on the good Dr getting a nice used Sako in a 22-250 or a 308, as he has never owned a rifle in either cartridge!

As for a Blaser with two barrels vs. two Sako's chambered to the 6.5 and the 9.3; that really is a tough question! It is going to be a personal choice, but I really do not think there is a wrong answer here...

If one has the means, the Blaser is a great choice and they are beautiful rifles! And for trips where it costs more for every rifle, or you are limited in the number of rifles you can take, it is a great alternative. That extra barrel, mounts and scope adds to the overall package price; but talk about a classy package! The weight will also make shooting the 9.3 more manageable and therefore more enjoyable.

While Sako's are not inexpensive rifles (averaging $2200-2400 for the plain jane Hunter model here in Canada with the current exchange rates), two of these are still cheaper than a Blaser or most custom rifles today.
And the Carbonlight in 7mm-08 or 260 is running almost $3700 here (the 6.5 should run same $). It would make a great sheep hunting rifle. It is the Finnlight model with a lighter carbon fibre stock, worth $1500 (or so I am told). It is a nice, lightweight rifle, that is also attractive (as far as synthetic stocks go). I have not looked to see if they even offer it in the 9.3, but as mentioned above, it probably would not be so enjoyable to shoot. Too bad they do not make it in a version for those of us in our "right minds"!

I am a big fan of the 358 Win, but have not gone to the 35 Whelen. The 338-06 had a higher uniqueness status for me (knew a few who had the Whelen) and I had great experience and faith in the 338 Win Mag, of which I was without at the time due to shoulder problems. And I knew that I would eventually end up with a 9.3x62.

When Sako first came out with the 9.3x66 ('98 if memory serves) the hunting store in Fort St John had a couple of rifles chambered for it, and a some ammo. The only rifles I have seen for it to date.

The .260 Remington would seem to shine in that role.

338-06 & left handed? What part of Canada Good Sir?

I never thought a thread titled "wildcats" that was not the name of a college sports team or a gentleman's club would garner this many posts.

Gil, thank you so very much for your input on the various subjects we were discussing, it is appreciated and valued.

Hodgeman, I want to thank you as well for walking through Finland and Germany with me, so to speak, as I decide what to buy her.

Dr Mike, I would expect nothing less from you as I know you are your own man

I have debated whether to post this or not as I know my non friends here on the forum will be all up in arms---however---Gil, Doc, Hodgeman, Scotty, Charles, Guy, David, and a few others I am forgetting at the moment. Because of my age and the fact it is very possible I will not be around to do this when her time to travel arrives, I am actually considering getting her the Blaser with the 6.5x 55 and the 9.3 x 62 barrels, which would make a dandy combo for her to travel with later in life AND the Sako carbonlight. However--if I do that, my question is, in what caliber would you get her in the Sako . Also remember she already has the 257 Camilla, so I am somewhat questioning myself about the 6.5, except for the fact, it would be a perfect combo IMHO with the 9.3 x 62 ( in the Blaser combo ) and I love the caliber and want her to have one. So maybe I should get the 6,5 in the Sako and two other caliber combinations on the Blaser. What say you and thank you

It is my bed time here and I have had my dinner and a glass of Rum. hopefully no 35 Whelen nightmares

Europe":3355dk3n said:
I am actually considering getting her the Blaser with the 6.5x 55 and the 9.3 x 62 barrels, which would make a dandy combo for her to travel with later in life AND the Sako carbonlight. However--if I do that, my question is, in what caliber would you get her in the Sako . Also remember she already has the 257 Camilla, so I am somewhat questioning myself about the 6.5, except for the fact, it would be a perfect combo IMHO with the 9.3 x 62 ( in the Blaser combo ) and I love the caliber and want her to have one. So maybe I should get the 6,5 in the Sako and two other caliber combinations on the Blaser. What say you and thank yous

Hmm.... a .257 Camilla, a .6..5x55 and a 9.3x62 in a Blaser?

How about a Carbonlight in something a little more generic right in the middle... there'd be no flies on a plain old .308 in such a rifle for N.American hunting. We'll even agree to call it the .30 Whelen Short to please this crowd!

hodgeman":1dkv9kxx said:
Europe":1dkv9kxx said:
I am actually considering getting her the Blaser with the 6.5x 55 and the 9.3 x 62 barrels, which would make a dandy combo for her to travel with later in life AND the Sako carbonlight. However--if I do that, my question is, in what caliber would you get her in the Sako . Also remember she already has the 257 Camilla, so I am somewhat questioning myself about the 6.5, except for the fact, it would be a perfect combo IMHO with the 9.3 x 62 ( in the Blaser combo ) and I love the caliber and want her to have one. So maybe I should get the 6,5 in the Sako and two other caliber combinations on the Blaser. What say you and thank yous

Hmm.... a .257 Camilla, a .6..5x55 and a 9.3x62 in a Blaser?

How about a Carbonlight in something a little more generic right in the middle... there'd be no flies on a plain old .308 in such a rifle for N.American hunting. We'll even agree to call it the .30 Whelen Short to please this crowd!

A 270 Winchester is pretty danged amazing if someone isn't loading your rounds for you. Really Is an excellent cartridge in a light rifle.

I took a look at the Sako site and see that in the Carbonlight you could get her a 260 Rem, 7mm-08 Rem, 308 Win or the 270 Win. Any one of these would pair nicely with the Blaser in 6.5x55 and 9.3x62, and be great for sheep hunting. The 260 duplicates 6.5 Swede performance, and while great, I would recommend the 7mm-08. If you wanted to wildcat either, either cartridge in the AI version is a step up, but can still use regular factory ammo in a pinch. The 270 would provide a little extra reach for mountain hunting, whereas the 308 provides a good balance in bullet diameter between the .264 and the .366 (9.3).

It was interesting to see that only the short action Carbonlight is available in left hand!

HseII,

My 338-06 left handed rifle is a custom Remington 700. And I am in northeastern BC

a 257 Camillia, a 308 Sako and a 6.5 x 55 /9.3 x 62 Blaser would let one hunt everything in the world excluding the dangerous 7 and I am not sure one could not hunt the lion and leopard with the 9.3 x 62, but I do not know the regulations. If Grandma ( April ) leaves her 375 H & H to her granddaughter a person would not be in to bad of a position with just those 5 rifles

257 Weatherby
6.5 x 55 Blaser
308 Sako
9.3 x 62 Blaser
375 H & H

hunternyny":1qd26oeu said:
a 257 Camillia, a 308 Sako and a 6.5 x 55 /9.3 x 62 Blaser would let one hunt everything in the world excluding the dangerous 7 and I am not sure one could not hunt the lion and leopard with the 9.3 x 62, but I do not know the regulations. If Grandma ( April ) leaves her 375 H & H to her granddaughter a person would nit be to bad of a position with just those 5 files

257 Weatherby
6.5 x 55 Blaser
308 Sako
9.3 x 62 Blaser
375 H & H

That would be a fine spectrum of cartridges covering the mass of animals one might ever hunt.

I would do a 30-06 or 300wm and the 9.3x62 in the Blaser (truth be told I would probably do a 300wm and a 375 H&H) Then do a smaller caliber in the Sako.

So many choices and none of them wrong. The choice will be what your experience tells you is right. You love the 6.5X55 so that is a no brainer the, the 9.3X62 is another proven caliber so again your experience with it. If you want something between them another proven is the 30-06 and most women who can handle the 9.3X62 can easily handle the 30-06 which again is a proven caliber around the world. There are no flies on the others mentioned just some may be harder to get ammo for or harder to handle even for a man. JMO

Hodgeman, Dr Mike, John, Gil. That is exactly what I am thinking

Rodger, Nathan and Scotty. The 30-06 and 270 would be excellent caliber choices, except they would make the rifle and barrel a bit longer, which I did not want to do. If you have the opportunity handle a "s" one and I think you will see what I mean. Like Hodgemans son, I feel in love with the rifle, in general, but definitely the "S". It handles like a dream and I think it would be an excellent mountain rifle for her. Remember Scotty, you are probably a foot taller and outweighs her by possibly 100 pounds, so the extra length of the rifle might even be preferred for yourself.

Ken, I understand your point, but we girls are not smart enough to understand a multitude of rifles, we are very simplistic creatures.

While I have your attention guys what are you currently using on whistle pigs and please Nathan and Dewey, not some "22/4/AI/Tom/Batman killer pig". Have you guys ever heard of the 22-250, or the 223, ? Something she could use for, whistle pigs, maybe coyotes, that she can buy off the shelf

April, neither the 22-250 nor the 223 are ever a poor choice for smaller game. If you want to be a bit esoteric, you could look at the 222, though ammunition can be a challenge if you aren't handloading. Even a .243 Win or a 6 mm Rem would work on small game and varmints.

Europe":19ch5ldz said:
Hodgeman, Dr Mike, John, Gil. That is exactly what I am thinking

Rodger, Nathan and Scotty. The 30-06 and 270 would be excellent caliber choices, except they would make the rifle and barrel a bit longer, which I did not want to do. If you have the opportunity handle a "s" one and I think you will see what I mean. Like Hodgemans son, I feel in love with the rifle, in general, but definitely the "S". It handles like a dream and I think it would be an excellent mountain rifle for her. Remember Scotty, you are probably a foot taller and outweighs her by possibly 100 pounds, so the extra length of the rifle might even be preferred for yourself.

Ken, I understand your point, but we girls are not smart enough to understand a multitude of rifles, we are very simplistic creatures.

While I have your attention guys what are you currently using on whistle pigs and please Nathan and Dewey, not some "22/4/AI/Tom/Batman killer pig". Have you guys ever heard of the 22-250, or the 223, ? Something she could use for, whistle pigs, maybe coyotes, that she can buy off the shelf
Oh contraire April,being simplistic is something to be admired for. I'm just a rifle looney and love to shoot and try different cartridges.

For whistle pigs I'd get a .22-250,fast,flat shooting and ammo choices aplenty. Killed quite a few coyotes with a .22-250.

I use a custom barreled 257 Roberts with 75gr Bullets.
But a 22-250 will work great and with the right bullet it will kill a host of other game also where a .22 caliber is a legal bullet diameter.

April;
One of a couple 223s or the 22-250 AI I'm currently building. :grin:
Winter coyotes this year was with the 6-284 as I don't keep the pelts.

Wait I just remembered she has a 257Bee and with light bullets that would be perfect for whistle pigs. There I go again thinking about one rifle and cartridge to do it all.

I was thinking the same thing Rodger, or an off the shelf 240 Weatherby, or a plain jane 243, even with off the shelf ammo they would reach out there and touch a whistle pig. My wife and I both enjoy the 257 Weatherby and have considered purchasing a 240 as we like the Weatherby products

Has anyone used the Weatherby loaded 80 gr TTSX in the 240 ? It seems like that combo, for an off the shelf rifle and ammo would reach way out there and be deadly when it gets there

Dr Mike, Ken, Dewey, Rodger, thank you, some food for thought, thank you very much fellows

John, that at first blush is a cracker jack of an idea. Weatherby makes good rifles and loads good ammo. In looking at the ballistics, it is perhaps even better than the the 243, which is an all round nice and easy caliber.

O.K. who has a 240 Weatherby-----Do you like it ? What do you hunt with it ? What do you shoot in it, and for what ? Reasons NOT to buy one ? A better, off the shelf rifle/caliber, for small game--very small game ? Has anyone hunted Antelope with it or would you ? 80 gr or 100 gr ?-----or, you dont care Ha

I own a .240 Wby. Only animals I've killed with it is two coyotes. Have not hunted antelope with it,but would not hesitate in doing so.

Use a 95 gr Remington Accu-Tip and RL-22.

The first coyote I killed with my .240 Wby it was about 30-40 yds away. In the pic is where it died.

The second coyote killed with the .240 Wby about a week later. This one was shot at about 225 yds away.

The rifle is a re-barreled Ruger M 77 tang safety with a Adams & Bennet barrel which is 26-3/4" long.

Back