wildcats

April I know the feeling. I just finished my dinner and like an old dog I'm looking to take a nap and then I'll be up till midnight and then sleep till maybe 5am but will lounge till 6am so I don't disturb the wife too much.
Like Mike I took it off topic but also would like to thank you for starting the topic it's been fun and thanks for letting me tease you. :grin:

.35 Whelen built on a Interarms Mark X action and with an old 3x Weaver.

55.0 grs Var-Get,WLR primers,250 gr Speer,in the 22" barrel it averaged 2435 fps. Going to take it out Friday or Saturday to verify the results.

Does this get the thread back on track? :lol:

elkhunternm":1cx2oaht said:

55.0 grs Var-Get,WLR primers,250 gr Speer,in the 22" barrel it averaged 2435 fps. Going to take it out Friday or Saturday to verify the results.

Closer. When April wakes up, she can comment on the desirability of owning a Whelen! In the interim, there'll be several wishing they had a good Whelen instead of whatever it is that they now own. :mrgreen:

DrMike":2s71gs6h said:
elkhunternm":2s71gs6h said:

Closer. When April wakes up, she can comment on the desirability of owning a Whelen! In the interim, there'll be several wishing they had a good Whelen instead of whatever it is that they now own. :mrgreen:

Couldn't have said it any better.

That's a great load right there.

I have 35 Whelen dies but have never owned one. I have a 358STA and a 350 Rem Mag in 35 calibers.

IdahoCTD":39abca05 said:
I have 35 Whelen dies but have never owned one.

Pity, that. :mrgreen: I do love the 35s, though; and you do have a couple of fine ones. (y)

I have to quit drinking wine with dinner. My doctor tells me a glass or two is actually good for me, but sometimes, like last night, I have nightmares. Last night I had a really bad one.

In my nightmare, some of the men on the Nosler forum were trying to sell the 35 Whelen to their forum members. I knew it was a nightmare and wasn't true, because these smart, well educated, rifle savvy men all know that the 9.3 x 62 is a much better option, especially if your hunting something that might want to bite you in the butt. And if you just want to show off and say, wow I shot that animal at 500 yards the 338-06 would be a better option, and with, less recoil. Or if your really in the mood to shoot looooong range the 340 Weatherby would be a better choice.

Then I remembered, wait, your a girl, what do you know, took a shower, got dressed and we are headed out to breakfast---and a bloody Mary! But I did decide to quit drinking wine at dinner. I wonder if Rum with dinner will create nightmares ?--we will know tonight.

Oh I just remembered another part of my nightmare, that Nathan, was not buying the 35 Whelen lemonade. dewey was right, very smart man

IdahoCTD":3oeh3t66 said:
A 6-22 Nosler would be cool as a kids rifle but it could be done several other ways using a .473 boltface too. I might build a 6TCU, 6PPC, or 6BR for my kids first hunting rifle.

I'm in the same boat with a daughter about hunting age. If you're looking at a TCU/BR case also consider the 7mm versions. A 7TCU/BR in a compact rifle with a 120gr ballistic tip over H322 is comparable to a 7-30 Waters pistol which is highly thought of in handgun hunting circles.

Europe":qiwa2nsv said:
I have to quit drinking wine with dinner. My doctor tells me a glass or two is actually good for me, but sometimes, like last night, I have nightmares. Last night I had a really bad one.

In my nightmare, some of the men on the Nosler forum were trying to sell the 35 Whelen to their forum members. I knew it was a nightmare and wasn't true, because these smart, well educated, rifle savvy men all know that the 9.3 x 62 is a much better option, especially if your hunting something that might want to bite you in the butt. And if you just want to show off and say, wow I shot that animal at 500 yards the 338-06 would be a better option, and with, less recoil. Or if your really in the mood to shoot looooong range the 340 Weatherby would be a better choice.

Then I remembered, wait, your a girl, what do you know, took a shower, got dressed and we are headed out to breakfast---and a bloody Mary! But I did decide to quit drinking wine at dinner. I wonder if Rum with dinner will create nightmares ?--we will know tonight.

Oh I just remembered another part of my nightmare, that Nathan, was not buying the 35 Whelen lemonade. dewey was right, very smart man

Too funny, AND Brave, since everybody here loves the Whelen, except you, me, and Nathan.

Enjoy your time in Finland

hunternyny":2btgdwil said:
Europe":2btgdwil said:

Too funny, AND Brave, since everybody here loves the Whelen, except you, me, and Nathan.

Enjoy your time in Finland

+ 1 on .338 Superiority.

TC260":1k9mtui0 said:
IdahoCTD":1k9mtui0 said:
A 6-22 Nosler would be cool as a kids rifle but it could be done several other ways using a .473 boltface too. I might build a 6TCU, 6PPC, or 6BR for my kids first hunting rifle.

I'm in the same boat with a daughter about hunting age. If you're looking at a TCU/BR case also consider the 7mm versions. A 7TCU/BR in a compact rifle with a 120gr ballistic tip over H322 is comparable to a 7-30 Waters pistol which is highly thought of in handgun hunting circles.

The problem with the larger bore is you need heavier bullets to get comparable down range trajectories. In a short range situation they are totally fine though. Knowing me, my kids will be banging steel at 500yds before they actually go hunting. Not that I would let them shoot a animal that far but I want them to have more than enough confidence to shoot to 300yds if the cartridge they can shoot is capable of taking an animal that far. Obviously we will try to get as close as possible but our time together hunting will be limited by school and other hunting plans so we need every advantage we can get.

If you compare a 6TCU with a 95gr Berger at 2900fps to a 7TCU with a 120gr Nosler BT at say 2200fps (and that might be optimistic) the 6TCU had almost 1200ft/lbs of energy at 300yds. The 7TCU has 1200ft/lbs of energy at 50yds. With a 100yd zero the 6TCU drops 12" at 300yds and the 7TCU drops 24". Even if you use a 95gr Ballistic tip the 6TCU has 12.3" of drop at 300yds and 1100ft/lbs of energy and is still going almost 2300fps where the 7TCU is going under 1700fps. IMO the TCU case is too small for a 7mm bullet. The handgun guys might be OK with it but I'd probably limit it to 6.5mm if it was me. If you step up to a BR or Dasher capacity then a 7mm is fine. I've built a 7BR before and the trajectories aren't bad with one at short range. I'd still take a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 6.5x47 Lapua over a 7BR for long range performance.

I haven't been enamored by .35 calibers. I bought the 350 Rem. Mag as a teenager and used it to shoot my first deer in Idaho and it's been sitting in the gun safe since. It's a Model 600 Remington. I built my 358STA after some disappointing results shooting a elk with a 308 Baer and 165 Partitions. I kill 4 or 5 elk with it and my Idaho bull moose and then built a 375 caliber on the same case. The 358 bullets available at the time weren't very good. I shot 250gr Hornady's and they would pencil through most stuff. About the time I put the 358STA away Nosler came out with the 225gr BT and some buddies I built 358STA's for had good luck with those bullets. For me I would rather have a 375 or a 338 just due to bullet selection. I have the parts to build a 375 Ruger on a M-70 SS classic and the parts to build a 338 of some flavor (if I can ever decide which caliber it will be). BTW typically everything I hunt big game with is a magnum so I doubt I would do a 35 Whelen at any point in my life.

IdahoCTD":3afyzdz8 said:
TC260":3afyzdz8 said:

The problem with the larger bore is you need heavier bullets to get comparable down range trajectories. In a short range situation they are totally fine though. Knowing me, my kids will be banging steel at 500yds before they actually go hunting. Not that I would let them shoot a animal that far but I want them to have more than enough confidence to shoot to 300yds if the cartridge they can shoot is capable of taking an animal that far. Obviously we will try to get as close as possible but our time together hunting will be limited by school and other hunting plans so we need every advantage we can get.

If you compare a 6TCU with a 95gr Berger at 2900fps to a 7TCU with a 120gr Nosler BT at say 2200fps (and that might be optimistic) the 6TCU had almost 1200ft/lbs of energy at 300yds. The 7TCU has 1200ft/lbs of energy at 50yds. With a 100yd zero the 6TCU drops 12" at 300yds and the 7TCU drops 24". Even if you use a 95gr Ballistic tip the 6TCU has 12.3" of drop at 300yds and 1100ft/lbs of energy and is still going almost 2300fps where the 7TCU is going under 1700fps. IMO the TCU case is too small for a 7mm bullet. The handgun guys might be OK with it but I'd probably limit it to 6.5mm if it was me. If you step up to a BR or Dasher capacity then a 7mm is fine. I've built a 7BR before and the trajectories aren't bad with one at short range. I'd still take a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 6.5x47 Lapua over a 7BR for long range performance.

Sorry man. Honestly I didn't mean to get you riled up. It was just an idea. By all means use the 6TCU

Deer hunting for 8 yr olds is about as light hearted a discussion as there is. Had I known responding was akin to taking a position on the matter or 300 yrd drop charts I wouldn't have responded. The fact that you're spending the time to take your kids hunting is all that matters. Cartridge choice is insignificant by comparison.

FWIW, in 10" 7tcu pistols with H322/120gr BT I usually run about 2270 fps. My 14" 7-30 Waters deer hunting pistol runs about 2450 fps and have cleanly taken a few deer with it. In rifle length 7tcu barrels, depending on the exact barrel length of course, the same combination usually runs 2500-2600 fps. As always, YMMV.

If this was easy anybody could do it HA

Dr Mike, they say in order for you to get the 9.3 x 66 it would have to be a special order in Canada and they gave me a name of Reliable in Vancouver, at a cost of approx 2400. also since it is a special order it would have to be paid 100% up front.

Scotty, they say you can get a Black Bear 9.3 x 66 from Eurooptic in Maryland ( I think they said Maryland ) for approx 1700, and it too would be considered a special order.

Hodgeman, they say that you could get a Exige from Bass Pro in Anchorage, and it may or may not be a special order as they ( Bass pro ) are trying to get several, but to date they have shipped none to them and they would not give me an approx cost without checking on the freight. They also said Beretta might be able to figure out the cost, but from my dealings with Beretta in the past in reference to Sako rifles they will not give out a price but will tell you to speak to the distributors. They said they would have the cost in a day or two and if that is true I will give you what they give me as soon as I hear from them,

Hodgeman, I do like the rifle, but we have decided to jump over to Germany and look at the Blaser 6.5, with an extra 9.3 x 62 barrel. Do you like that idea better or would you get two Sako's a 6.5 and a 9.3--IF--you wanted those two calibers ?

Back