wildcats

Europe":2sjl3xaz said:
Hodgeman, I do like the rifle, but we have decided to jump over to Germany and look at the Blaser 6.5, with an extra 9.3 x 62 barrel. Do you like that idea better or would you get two Sako's a 6.5 and a 9.3--IF--you wanted those two calibers ?

I'd be awfully tempted to just get two Sakos...as much as I like the whole interchangeable barrel idea, in execution it never feels quite right. Of course, if I lived somewhere with restrictions on the number of receivers I could own, I'd feel differently.

I think switch barrels are great for the travelling hunter pursuing a variety of game, I typically only take one rifle at a time for the game I'm pursuing.

Is there such a thing as the 9.3x68?

Seems like that would be a big fella??

What's the 9.3x66? Is that the 370 Sako??

Scotty,

The 9.3X66 and the Federal .370 Sako Magnum are the same cartridge. Sako and Federal decided it would sell better in North America if it wasn't burdened with a metric denominator.

April,

Reliable is a name I haven't heard for quite a few years. I bought one of my first Zeiss scopes from them back in ... oh, many years ago. :mrgreen: Somewhat surprised that they are the ones handling Sako here in Canada. Interesting.

DrMike":f439tsae said:
Scotty,

The 9.3X66 and the Federal .370 Sako Magnum are the same cartridge. Sako and Federal decided it would sell better in North America if it wasn't burdened with a metric denominator.

April,

Reliable is a name I haven't heard for quite a few years. I bought one of my first Zeiss scopes from them back in ... oh, many years ago. :mrgreen: Somewhat surprised that they are the ones handling Sako here in Canada. Interesting.

Got ya. Thanks Mike. Sounds pretty cool. What's the COAL on a loaded round?

https://www.americanrifleman.org/Webcon ... alsako.pdf

Check it out on your QL. the 9.3X66 Sako, .370 Sako Magnum and 9.3X66 EK are all the same cartridge. Headstamp determined by who provides the brass. I should imagine it would be a great cartridge. I did briefly consider it before I settled on the 9.3X64 Brenneke a couple of years back.

DrMike":2sz4wpor said:
Check it out on your QL. the 9.3X66 Sako, .370 Sako Magnum and 9.3X66 EK are all the same cartridge. Headstamp determined by who provides the brass. I should imagine it would be a great cartridge. I did briefly consider it before I settled on the 9.3X64 Brenneke a couple of years back.

I will Mike. I was trying to cheat from you all since I'm away from home right now.

Did a brief look for brass... seems tougher than the Brenneke.

You know, you're going to talk this up and I (being in a weakened state) will be compelled to build a rifle chambered in that round. Good thing I don't already have brass, or it would be a done deal. This could present some trouble since I'm technically supposed to be long retired and on a fixed income. I just hate sneaking new firearms into the house.

DrMike":fo5fjkdm said:
You know, you're going to talk this up and I (being in a weakened state) will be compelled to build a rifle chambered in that round. Good thing I don't already have brass, or it would be a done deal. This could present some trouble since I'm technically supposed to be long retired and on a fixed income. I just hate sneaking new firearms into the house.

Well..... it sounds like my work is done here :mrgreen:

You know Scotty they say what goes around comes around..... Better be careful. :twisted:
E

DrMike":1zt5pyfe said:
DrMike,it's only money. :grin:

elkhunternm":2vag266l said:
DrMike":2vag266l said:
DrMike,it's only money. :grin:

I know; I know. They print more of the stuff every day. The Queen really likes that stuff; they put her picture on all of it around here. She takes quite a bit of it. What's left can only be used for so much. Might as well build another rifle. (y)

Just consider it your grand kids savings account Mike. The bonus is you get to use it before they cash in.

If Mama sells these rifles for what they're worth (and not for what she imagines they are worth), she should have enough to live on for a while. :shock:

Scotty, there is no 68 that I know of, but their are other's here with more knowledge than I. I mentioned the 66 to you as you had shown an interest earlier in this thread and I know you like different and uncommon type stuff.

Dr Mike, in all honesty, I would not spend my money on a 66 in your case, as you have a 9.3 x 64 which imho is even better. Was curious if they was even available in Canada and shared what I found out with you but not with the idea that you should have one. Sako.s are nice, but when and if the right deal comes along you will get it. Sorry fellows I know this is contrary to what you were pushing Doc to do.

Hodgeman-- as per our p.m.'s---that sucks big time!! I really liked that rifle, hopefully they will change their mind in the future. I am now thinking about the 85 Carbonlight in the 6.5. Weight wise it would make a nice rifle for her for a sheep hunt. I agree with you about the two rifles, but am a little concerned about the recoil of the 9.2 x 62 in the Carbonlight model, for her, it would be fine for you. Am I wrong ?

Nathan, I am another who never caught the 35 bug, for the really big stuff I just went up to the 375 H & H. As others here already know on our first trip to Africa I used a 416 Rigby and it was to much rifle for me. Dropped down to a 375 H & H and never left. But calibers like the 6.5 Swede, and 300 H & H have always been easier for me to handle. I did own (and I am sure my son still does) a 338-06 and it was a nice caliber. But the 35 Whelen seems to be the cats meow to several here on the forum, so maybe I missed the boat by not having one, but if so that is just one of many boats I missed in my lifetime

Europe":1ixmr5fx said:
Hodgeman-- as per our p.m.'s---that sucks big time!! I really liked that rifle, hopefully they will change their mind in the future. I am now thinking about the 85 Carbonlight in the 6.5. Weight wise it would make a nice rifle for her for a sheep hunt. I agree with you about the two rifles, but am a little concerned about the recoil of the 9.2 x 62 in the Carbonlight model, for her, it would be fine for you. Am I wrong ?

My son was in Anchorage last weekend and hit the Cabelas there...came back lusting after a Carbonlight...I'd love to have one. But I've got to admit- a Carbonlight in 9.3x62 would likely hit harder than I'd want to deal with on a routine basis but as a hunting rifle it'd be pretty cool. I see that rifle and I'm thinking 7-08s and a 6.5x55 would be fantastic.

Those are pretty nice rifles for sure.

Ain't nobody pushing me, April. Looks as if my feet are shuffling along on their own. :mrgreen: Just 'cause is a good enough reason for a dedicated looney to build a rifle or acquire one that is a little different. I do agree, however, that the Brenneke is a powerhouse that works very well for what it was intended, and then some.

I dont envision Dr Mike letting anybody push him into anything, with the possible exception of his wife and Gil and possibly not even them lol

Hodgeman, April, I am another who was thinking about the Carbonite and as you mentioned Hodgeman the 7mm-08 seems like it would be perfect in that rifle

Mike,

It looks like your feet are shuffling along because you are looking down that slippery slope! LOL

April,

If I was a betting man, I would put my money on the good Dr getting a nice used Sako in a 22-250 or a 308, as he has never owned a rifle in either cartridge!

As for a Blaser with two barrels vs. two Sako's chambered to the 6.5 and the 9.3; that really is a tough question! It is going to be a personal choice, but I really do not think there is a wrong answer here...

If one has the means, the Blaser is a great choice and they are beautiful rifles! And for trips where it costs more for every rifle, or you are limited in the number of rifles you can take, it is a great alternative. That extra barrel, mounts and scope adds to the overall package price; but talk about a classy package! The weight will also make shooting the 9.3 more manageable and therefore more enjoyable.

While Sako's are not inexpensive rifles (averaging $2200-2400 for the plain jane Hunter model here in Canada with the current exchange rates), two of these are still cheaper than a Blaser or most custom rifles today.
And the Carbonlight in 7mm-08 or 260 is running almost $3700 here (the 6.5 should run same $). It would make a great sheep hunting rifle. It is the Finnlight model with a lighter carbon fibre stock, worth $1500 (or so I am told). It is a nice, lightweight rifle, that is also attractive (as far as synthetic stocks go). I have not looked to see if they even offer it in the 9.3, but as mentioned above, it probably would not be so enjoyable to shoot. Too bad they do not make it in a version for those of us in our "right minds"!

I am a big fan of the 358 Win, but have not gone to the 35 Whelen. The 338-06 had a higher uniqueness status for me (knew a few who had the Whelen) and I had great experience and faith in the 338 Win Mag, of which I was without at the time due to shoulder problems. And I knew that I would eventually end up with a 9.3x62.

When Sako first came out with the 9.3x66 ('98 if memory serves) the hunting store in Fort St John had a couple of rifles chambered for it, and a some ammo. The only rifles I have seen for it to date.

Back