Winchester 70 375

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I picked up a Winchester classic 375 H&H at a local gun show. It was already cut down to 20” with a NECG front sight installed.

I ordered a set of Talley t/d rings and bases and a featherweight take off stock.

I got it rough inletted for the featherweight and stuck a 2.5-8 vxiii on it. I still need to bed the action but it Turned out pretty handy.

8b92ffd72f0a065d26a278fde87e0dc5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could really use some checkering.

Nice!

Enjoy that rifle. Should be a great general purpose and bear rifle.

Guy

A 20” 375 is pretty tough to beat for a general do all Alaskan rifle. This one is a replacement for my old one I sold when my daughter was born.

Below is my old one

16797a3a05506c44d3fc58ea59f9a1a7.jpg

Wow, that's a very nice looking rifle. Should be a quick handling rig. What kind of speeds are you getting from the 375 H&H in a 20" barrel?

JD338

The 375 H&H is remarkable efficient in a 20” barrel. When I had my first one cut down from 24-20 I averaged 75-80fps loss.

I had mine cut down originally after talking to an old gunsmith who used to work in the area. He had cut one back from 26-16” measuring velocity loss with federal 270gr blue box load. Going from memory he claimed to lose 20-35 FPS/inch down to 20”, after 20” is started to drop in velocity at a rapidly increasing rate.

Nice rifle. Personally I would have went with a glass stock

Good glass stocks for the Winchester 70 are pretty hard to come by. I’ve always liked these featherweight Winchester stocks. Maybe not quite as durable as a good fiberglass stock but makes up for it in feel and style!

Thebear_78":2hygz4pu said:
The 375 H&H is remarkable efficient in a 20” barrel. When I had my first one cut down from 24-20 I averaged 75-80fps loss.

I had mine cut down originally after talking to an old gunsmith who used to work in the area. He had cut one back from 26-16” measuring velocity loss with federal 270gr blue box load. Going from memory he claimed to lose 20-35 FPS/inch down to 20”, after 20” is started to drop in velocity at a rapidly increasing rate.

That pretty efficiant. It's a big stick in a small bundle.

JD338

That's a really good looking rifle!

That's the caliber I want to get next.

I, personally, wouldn't go with less than a 22" barrel for me.

But, I have to agree with the other's. It's what you like, and have experience with. Nothing wrong with that. Do what makes you happy. Life is too short. ENJOY!

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

You would be amazed at how efficient the 375 is in a 20” barrel. The extra 2” really doesn’t gain you much.

There are a lot of 20” 375s roaming around Alaska!

Thebear_78":2z0cdvzc said:
You would be amazed at how efficient the 375 is in a 20” barrel. The extra 2” really doesn’t gain you much.

There are a lot of 20” 375s roaming around Alaska!

I'd imagine so. Thinking about carrying it around in small planes, on snowmobiles etc... Compact dimensions could be a real good thing.

Guy

Back