Winchester M70 Tigger

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Earlier I had posted asking for info on how to adjust the M70 trigger and also asked for links to videos that showed how it was done and I located read how to instructions and watched the videos. Come to find out I wasn't doing anything wrong just not going far enough and decided to take it apart and look for the problem which was rough factory parts so I proceeded to polish all contact points. I used the rubber polishing wheel from my dremill tool kit and polished the surfaces by hand I also used a extra fine stone for the real rough areas being very careful not to remove a lot of metal but to just polish the surfaces. Here's some pics of the trigger and areas after I reassembled them in the rifle. I stoned the bottoms of the springs to a mirror finish and all baring surfaces and contact points.
While assembling everything I lubed with micron assembly grease which is super slick.
It didn't dawn on me till now that I should have taken pictures of the parts disassemble to show the areas, my bad thinking.
The sear engagement area on the bolt was very rough and if you zoom in on the picture it still looks rough but not as bad as it looks and I didn't want to take too much metal off just take care of the rough edges. Now I'll need to shoot it to see for sure if I fixed the problem or if I'll replace it with a Timney.

Attachments

• NCM_0281.JPG
    NCM_0281.JPG
    697.3 KB · Views: 430
  • NCM_0280.JPG
    NCM_0280.JPG
    785.7 KB · Views: 430
  • NCM_0279.JPG
    NCM_0279.JPG
    704.9 KB · Views: 430
  • NCM_0278.JPG
    NCM_0278.JPG
    679 KB · Views: 430
  • NCM_0277.JPG
    NCM_0277.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 430
You got to love those simple Winchester triggers, I hate that they had to go and mess things up. The MOA is a good trigger and works well enough, I just don't see how it's better to have a fully enclosed trigger vs. an open design that works in all conditions. Thanks for the pictures, and let us know how it shoots.

Pretty clean design.
What does your trigger break at?

JD338

Rodger, I have done the same with a square india stone a few times. Works like a champ. You should be able to get a clean 2.5/3lbs with very little drama. If you can't get the weight you want, an Ernies trigger spring works excellent and I use a few of them.

As Jim asked, any idea on the weight. Also, while the rifle is in the stock, bounce that sucker on a hard surface to make sure it won't disengage in the FIRE position. Once you get one of the Winchester triggers tuned up, you'll forget about replacing it.

I don't have a trigger pull gauge but think it's about 3lb from the feel of it. I did get the creep out of it but think it could be lighter but that's about as good as I can get it with out changing or cutting springs.

Scotty I use a rubber mallet to test the sear, a good blow with it to the barrel will tell if it will stay set or not.
I shot it today at the range and it felt fairly good with no creep and a crisp break.

I use stones on all trigger jobs..The mod. 70 trigger is the best design ever, second best is way down the line as far as I'm concerned...Today, after many years of need, Brownells is selling mod. 70 triggers for the mod. 98 Mauser, its been a long time coming, but they ain't cheap!

Back