winds effect on rifle groups

sniper1379

Beginner
Jan 2, 2009
do you think it has that much effect? reason i ask, i went out monday with my problem-child rem 700 300wsm to see if accuracy would improve any with the pressure point i added under the barrel. wind was 0-5mph. groups were 1/4, 7/8 and 1 1/4. i can live with that. today the winds are 15-20 with gust higher and somewhat of a crosswind. my groups were 1 1/2, 2", 2 1/2 and 2 1/2. i changed nothing about my loads, my rifle or my rest. on variable different was the wind.

15-20 mph crosswind with gusts, yea that will effect your group size.

Learning to "dope the wind" is a major part of shooting bragging groups.

Yep, that much wind plays alot with the shooter also. At 100 yards, the wind has a decent affect, but the shooter is hit with the wind also. If your natural point of aim isn't right on, and you are squared up really well, the wind will tear your groups up. Think about the wind blowing you are your rifle, you correct for the wind pushing on you in micro adjusts, you may never notice, but they will affect your groups. I know wind has really played heck with my 500 - 600 yard line groups with the service rifle, even when doped correctly. Scotty

sniper1379,

That much wind can affect your groups, even at 100 yards. How far were you shooting?

JD338

i was shooting at 100yards from a good solid bench. rifle was resting in a bulls bag and buttstock was in a bag as well. i was really not feeling the effects of the wind, but my groups sure were i guess. normally my 3 shot groups with this rifle have the classic unifrom trianglur shape about them. today they were all strung out and at different heights. on a side note, i was shooting a savage bolt .22 on both monday and today. monday i had a 10 shot 2" group 4" below the bull at 100yards. today my 10 shot group was about 4' low again, but scattered from directly below the bull to about 4" to the right of center. i'm going to blame today's bad performance on the wind. i just don't see how you go out, shoot such good groups 1 day, nothing changes equipment wise, and you go out 2 days later and shoot terrible.

Go to any benchrest competion match and the first thing that you will notice is the wind flags that are out in front of every bench.
Yes, the wind will always affect your groups .

Just the other day I was at the range and some of the county police "snipers" :lol: where there doing some shooting. The wind was blowing a full wind from 3 O'clock 15 to 25 mph. These guys were shooting about 3 inch groups off of a bench rest at 100 yards. I had up a couple of pieces of plastic orange marking tape for wind flags. One on my target back and the other attached to the beam above my shooting bench. The "head sniper" :roll: ask me why I had those pieces of tape out. I said to watch for when the wind settled before I shot. He said and I quote. "Wind won't effect a ____ bullet at 100 yards. It is going too fast." :shock: I just looked at him and bit my tongue and smiled. My Momma taught me that it is a wast of time to argue with a fool. I just hope I am never mixed up in a hostage situation when these morons are going to be involved. In a bench rest match a little 5 mph change in the wind can take you from the penthouse to the outhouse with your group at 100 yards.

i feel better now about my rifle. i'm thinking next time out, on a calm day, groups will be better.

Wind is the bugaboo of long-range shooting.

Elevation is EASY. Wind is an accuracy killer. No doubt about it.

Guy Miner":1u9q3ei8 said:
Wind is the bugaboo of long-range shooting.

Elevation is EASY. Wind is an accuracy killer. No doubt about it.

Guy nailed it!

JD338

one thing i don't understand about the wind, was why my shots had a vertical type pattern? does a strong wind play with the bullets twist and deflect. all i know is the wind was the only variable that was different from the the day i shot real well, to the day i shot lousy.

caribouhunter":1xobjq3u said:
Wind should not play vertically on your groups
i'd look somewhere else. Maybe pressure point is too tight?

Head winds or tail winds WILL put vertical your groups.

Back