Winning Combination for 7mm Rem.

NoelW

Beginner
Jun 10, 2011
I bought all new Nosler brass for my 7mm Mag. a while back and also decided to try the 140 gr. Nosler CT's. This is the results after 3 trips to the range with multiple loads of RL-22 behind the 140 gr. Nosler CT's. I know I'm going to hear that this load is way over max load but my Lyman #46 shows 70.5 gr. max. One of my old Sierra books shows max load at 69 gr., all others show 66-68 gr. I worked up slow and still shows no pressure signs. It shoots this same group w/70 gr. but no velocity increase, but the group starts to open up w/70.5 gr. and looses velocity. I shot this load (69.5) 3 times for confirmation with the same results every time. Didn't note my primers on the target but they are Federal 215M. Temp at the range varied on the 3 days from 70 F to 85 F. That's a 1/2" dot and 1/2" grid on my target.

Attachments

• Dsc00432.jpg
    Dsc00432.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 1,316
  • DSC01223.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,315
beautiful! if I were you I would never load anther load, great accuracy great shooting

NoelW":2lyj9m4z said:
I bought all new Nosler brass for my 7mm Mag. a while back and also decided to try the 140 gr. Nosler CT's. This is the results after 3 trips to the range with multiple loads of RL-22 behind the 140 gr. Nosler CT's. I know I'm going to hear that this load is way over max load but my Lyman #46 shows 70.5 gr. max. One of my old Sierra books shows max load at 69 gr., all others show 66-68 gr. I worked up slow and still shows no pressure signs. It shoots this same group w/70 gr. but no velocity increase, but the group starts to open up w/70.5 gr. and looses velocity. I shot this load (69.5) 3 times for confirmation with the same results every time. Didn't note my primers on the target but they are Federal 215M. Temp at the range varied on the 3 days from 70 F to 85 F. That's a 1/2" dot and 1/2" grid on my target.

Been using in my 7mm Mag RL22 for a long time now, excellent´performance my load with 160 AB is on the range of 65.5gr, your load should be not too excessive, excellent group and good velocity im going to start some loads with 160 gr with RL25 will see the results, maybe can try a 5 shot group and also at 200 and 300 to see????

My load for reloder 22 and a 140gr ab was the same 69.5 grs and it would shoot 1/2" at 3300 fps. Hard to be for an open ground shooter. That load will shoot way furhter then I could. My 7mm rem mag will only do those one holers with the 160ab and H-1000. Great load and good shootin. Just be careful with that load when the temps are near 100. You might see some pressue signs.

Holey Smoley!
What an incredible grouping and load.
I am sure the shooter has something to do with that as well.

Nice shooting and great load!

Interesting - what power scope are you using and what type of cross hair, because that is a mighty small black circle about the size of a nickle to shoot at 100yds? What were your deviation and extreme spread numbers and have you shot two or three five shoot groups in a row with this load? Did you measure the base of your brass to determine now much expanding your brass experienced and if so how much expansion? Do you have any of your brass left from that firing so we could see some pictures of the primers? That is a good three shot group for 100yds.

NoelW":3uo816z6 said:

Great group! That 3-fps spread is sweet. How many rounds average? Tell us about the rifle and scope. Did you use a gun vise or lead sled? Jim

Bullet, the scope is a 4-16x50 Burris Black Diamond with Mil-Plex Retical.
1st shot was 3103, 2nd was a duplicate and 3rd was 3104 spaced about 1 minute apart. That was the 3rd time to test that load always 3 shots.
I neck size only after firing once, turned the necks, graded the brass and bullets by weight so they all matched. My scale is a Sartorious.
I haven't done anything with the brass yet, will take pictures tonight when I get home.

NoelW":2p398k1u said:
Bullet, the scope is a 4-16x50 Burris Black Diamond with Mil-Plex Retical.
1st shot was 3103, 2nd was a duplicate and 3rd was 3104 spaced about 1 minute apart. That was the 3rd time to test that load always 3 shots.
I neck size only after firing once, turned the necks, graded the brass and bullets by weight so they all matched. My scale is a Sartorious.
I haven't done anything with the brass yet, will take pictures tonight when I get home.

That is a good scope man, you could see a nat riding on a fleas back with that scope. By the way, once again, good shooting, good rifle, good scope and good load. I like it :mrgreen:

It's a 700 Remington 700 ADL. The barrel is factory but barrel and action has been cryo'd, bolt trued, lugs lapped & a Jewell trigger. Stock is Bell & Carlson that was pillar bedded and a custom break by Knight's Custom Guns in Woodville, Tx.

And of course it was in a Lead Sled.

NoelW":3ypg59g3 said:
It's a 700 Remington 700 ADL. The barrel is factory but barrel and action has been cryo'd, bolt trued, lugs lapped & a Jewell trigger. Stock is Bell & Carlson that was pillar bedded and a custom break by Knight's Custom Guns in Woodville, Tx.

Well, it shoots and that is what you wanted.

bullet":1a1kh0x9 said:
NoelW":1a1kh0x9 said:

Well, it shoots and that is what you wanted. How does it shoot with you on sand bags?

I really like those scopes Bullet. I have another one of the 4-16's on a 45-70, a 6-24 on a 300 WM and an 8-32 on my 338 Lapua. I'm 60 years old and don't see as good as I used to, need all the help I can get. I figure if I can't see it, I can't shoot it.

Don't remember ever shooting this rifle off of bags. It's a hunting rifle, I work up loads on the sled to eliminate my error and shoot off of bipod or whatever I can rest it on in the field. Seems to shoot the same place no matter what. Broke a Douglas Wyoming mule deers neck at 320 yds. in 07 off the bipod with a Barnes 160 XLC, and took a jogging Antelope at 175 yds. freehand the next day. Only shot at the deers neck because all I could see was it's neck and head.

Was going to post the pics of the brass I promised you but got home and realized I left my camera at work. I put the brass in my truck and will take the pics and post them tomorrow.

Hey, don't worry about taking pictures of the brass. What are you hunting this year with that rifle and where?

I'll be just South of Montgomery, Al. Nov. 19-21 Whitetail and Hogs. May get to go to South Texas again this year and of course here in Louisiana. Got a 2700 acre lease about 20 minutes from the house here. That's my everyday rifle.

Elkman":1fu3mmre said:
beautiful! if I were you I would never load anther load, great accuracy great shooting
Neither would I except for moose/Elk

NoelW":2d7irnyo said:
I'll be just South of Montgomery, Al. Nov. 19-21 Whitetail and Hogs. May get to go to South Texas again this year and of course here in Louisiana. Got a 2700 acre lease about 20 minutes from the house here. That's my everyday rifle.

Hey man, what part of Louisiana? I live in Picayune, MS just 24 miles north of Slidell, La. :)

[/quote]Hey man, what part of Louisiana? I live in Picayune, MS just 24 miles north of Slidell, La. :)[/quote]

I'm 10 minutes south of Breaux Bridge, The Crawfish Capitol. Breaux Bridge is about 10 miles east of Lafayette, and 45 miles west of Baton Rouge. We are almost neighbors. We'll have to make a hunt together sometime.

Back