Woodleigh 225gr PP from 358 Win - failed to expand

nosler358w

Beginner
Aug 26, 2014
I loaded some Woodleigh 225 gr protected points for my Browning 358 BLR. Using H4895, my loads were 0.1gr over the Hodgdon published max; my chrony indicated a velocity of about 2350 fps 20' from the muzzle (the BLR has a 20" barrel).

I set up gallon milk jugs 100 yds from the muzzle. The first shot veered out of the 5th jug and I lost it. The second shot was perfect, and I found the Woodleigh at the 8th jug. Except for the rifling engraving, I think I could reload it again; there was no hint of expansion!

Needless to say, I'm disappointed. I'm figuring I should have had an impact velocity of around ~2130 fps at 100 yds; not great, but better than the 1800 fps figure I think Woodleigh claims for expansion.

Anyone have experiences with the Woodleigh 225 in the 358W? I should have never strayed from the 225 Nosler PTs, I think.

First of welcome to the forum, glad you are here.

It is good to know that those 225 gr Woodleighs need to be driven a bit faster after your results. I'm with you in expecting at least a little bit of expansion. Maybe the stated b.c. is a bit high and it was actually going a bit slower? Just thinking out loud here......

Yes the 225 gr PT is an excellent bullet, this one sounds good too from this review. Expensive though.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/298346 ... uctFinding

Welcome aboard; glad to have you posting. As Gerry said, I'm surprised there wasn't at least some expansion on that bullet. I would assume that they would work better out of the Whelen or a 358 Norma Magnum.

Welcome to the forum.
Interesting that there was no expansion. Can you post a picture of the recovered bullet?

The 225 gr PT is a great bullet. I have used it with much success in my 35 Whelen.

JD338

Thanks for the comments. I've tried to attach a picture; we'll see if it takes.

The fired bullet is in the middle. A tiny bit of lead appears to have eroded from the tip, but otherwise pretty much intact.

I think my 358W just doesn't have the omph for this sturdy bullet at any reasonable range. It would be interesting to see how a 350 Rem mag or 35 Whelen does with this bullet at 200 yds or so. These long range expansion tests take a lot of fiddling around but they seem potentially revealing (and disappointing).

I've disassembled all the Woodleighs and reloaded them with Nosler PTs.

Attachments

• woodleigh_358W.JPG
    woodleigh_358W.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 3,469
You won't be disappointed with the 225 gr PT.
Run one through the jugs.

JD338

Wow, that is really telling to be honest. Even if it hit the jugs at 1800FPS, which seems almost impossible, I would have expected some expansion. The 225 PT will surely open up though, down to 1800. That bullet in my 358 is pretty awesome.

I would be scared to run that 225 Woodleigh out of my 35 Newton to be honest. Granted, it might be out at 500 yards or so, but it doesn't look like it would open very much at all...

Might be worth sending an email to Woodleigh showing your results.

Gerry, I have eyeballed those 200 NF's a few times. I am thinking those would be pretty serious bullets in the 358 and 35 Whelen..

Cool test, thank you for sharing. Scotty

They are made for bigger speeds. Try the 200 AB or the 225 PT

FOTIS":1z2641ed said:

It still seems odd to me they wouldn't expand at all at around 2200..

SJB358":2r3slqqf said:
FOTIS":2r3slqqf said:

It still seems odd to me they wouldn't expand at all at around 2200..
Me too Scotty :? ..very, very odd to say the least.

Thanks for the additional comments; I too was very surprised by the outcome. At much closer ranges (~25 yds) they seemed to expand just fine when fired into a wood backstop, but as others have pointed out to me wood may not be the best test medium.

As SJB358 suggested, I've emailed Woodleigh and will share any response from them.

Looking forward to what Woodleigh says. Thanks for the feedback too. Can't wait.

I received a nice reply for Woodleigh a few days ago. The gist of it is:

"Yes l think you are correct ,you may be bordering on the lower end of the impact range but would have still thought it would have opened slightly in water.l suspect it may have been a little bit hard also."

They asked for the batch number, which unfortunately is long gone. They suggested their round noses as a more appropriate choice for this gun, but I prefer the ballistic advantage of a spire point, even if the 358W is only a moderate range gun.

I'm using the Woodleigh's for fire-forming some cases on which I accidently pushed the shoulders too far back. Expensive fire-forming. Live and learn.

Just goes to show anything man made can take a crap I guess.

Hard telling how many failures that are seen with a certain bullet are actually just a manufacturing error rather than the actual bullet being of poor design.

Thank you for passing the word along.

SJB358":2o9iyho0 said:
Just goes to show anything man made can take a crap I guess.

Hard telling how many failures that are seen with a certain bullet are actually just a manufacturing error rather than the actual bullet being of poor design.

Thank you for passing the word along.

I couldn't have said it better Scotty, each and every bullet out there has had it's failures I'm sure, no matter who manufactured it :roll:

Lou

Back