Workin up loads for blackbear with the Contender

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
Well, I drew for this years blackbear season. Figured I would use my 7-30 Waters Contender pistol. I imagine bear size could be from 150-300#, and distance could be from 15yds to 75 yds. as the area I will hunt is pretty thick.

I am thinking of 140-150 gn bullets. Out of the 14" barrel of the Contender I would guess to be looking at somewhere between 2000 - 2200fps. at the muzzle.

I am torn between Accubonds, Partitions and even the BT (which at these slow velocities could possible be a great bullet). Of course accuracy out of my pistol is very important, but I think all of these bullets will shoot well in this application. So I am wondering mostly about bullet performance ie.. penetration and break em down qualities. I doubt that with any bullet, I would use, would there be a great blood trail with hide and fat etc...

So what do you boys think?

Long

Long,

Congratulations on your bear tag. Which season did you get?

Tough to beat the 140 gr PT. Its enough bullet to break a shoulder and give you an exit. A MAX load of Varget will get you 2200 fps MV and
1500 fp ME.
The link below shows vitals and shot placement.
http://www.nbef.org/pdfs/bearshotplacement.pdf

For bait hunting look at Bear Scents. I have used their Anise and the bears love it.
http://www.bearscents.com/
Dry dog food with a pickle bucket of fryer grease from any restaurant will bring in the bears quick. Fermented grain works wonders too. :wink:

JD338

Thanks JD,

I have loaded up some 140 accubonds under 33-34 gns of Reloader 15 which I will be trying out this morning.

The anise is a good thought as well as the other bait.

I know you have taken several bears, were any of them in Michigan?

Long

Long,

Delta and Marquette counties, not too far from you. :wink:

JD338

JD,

I went out this am with 120 BT's (36 gns Re-15), 130 Sierra Match (35 gns Re-15) and 140 Accubonds (34 gns Re-15). Does the Contender pistola shoot! It liked them all. I am thinking next time of loading up some 150 Partitions. Then if they shoot, and I am sure they will, I will probably go that route for bear medicine. As soon as I can get them loaded/sighted in it will be time to start practicing off of the shooting stix.

Long

Long,

Good shooting!

I know what you 're saying about those Contenders.
I shot my 6.5JDJ this afternoon at 300 yds. We drove down to the target and I had a 2.25" group at 3:00. :grin: Went back and shot 2 more shots. I dropped one and opened up the group to 5"! :cry:

The 150 gr PT would be a good bullet but do you think you will have enough MV? That is why I was thinking of the 140 gr PT.
Just a thought...

Got your spot picked out to set up a bait station yet?

JD338

I have a crony to ck my velocities with so we'll see. Might not be enough for a pass through on a decent size bear.

As to location . . . oh yeh I got it picked. Last bow season I saw 4 bear and during Thanksgiving had one of them rip open my pop up blind, pull my seat cushion out and take a big bite out of it. I figure some thing owes me their hide :lol:

A guy south of Powers sells bait for reasonable. You know the stuff like chocolate covered cherries, blueberry syrup, dark and white chocolate etc... so I figure I can soak some corn in some of that type thing, along with a little water, add some apples and should be good to go.

I've never shot the Contender over 100 yds. 300 yds would be a hoot. I bet that Georgia Jim forend really helps make things alot steadier. The accuracy of the Contenders as compared to most rifles is amazing to me. I just look at the groups and shake my head in unbelief.

Long

longwinters":2pdkn6lg said:
I've never shot the Contender over 100 yds. 300 yds would be a hoot. I bet that Georgia Jim forend really helps make things alot steadier. The accuracy of the Contenders as compared to most rifles is amazing to me. I just look at the groups and shake my head in unbelief.
Long

Seeing is believing. :wink:

...and the Georgia Jim Grip and Forend are really nice. :grin:

JD338

I can't say about the bear. I've shot many muleys with the 140 gr BT from my 7-30 Waters, 14" Contender. Longest shot maybe 200 yds. Muzzle velocity was ~ 1900 fps. One shot- one quick kill!
That Contender is incredibly accurate of a good rest. Finding the good rest in the field is the tough part.
Good luck! MikeB

Don't over look the 154gr round nose interlock for black bears. At 50yards or less I beat it will expand the fastest and still completely penitrate a very large bear. I have not reloaded for pistols but a fast powder should get the needed velocity. I love the partitions but this mite be where a old round heavy nose bullet would be best. Just a thought.

I have not shot round noses for probably 20 years, out of my 30-30. That is probably a good idea especially at the distances I would be shooting. My season is long over now, but there is always next time.

Long

Well Long, I have never hunted Black Bears, so really have nothing to offer in that regard.

However I have shot lots of Deer with Single Shot Speciality Pistols since 1982 in several different calibers. I have used a 7-30 Waters (in a 10" T/C Contender), a 7mm I.H.M.S.A. (.300 Savage necked down to 7mm in a Remington XP-100) and just this year a 15" T/C Encore chambered in .284 Winchester to harvest Whitetails.

Other cartridges I have used on Whitetail Deer in either T/C Contenders, Remington XP-100's, Savage Strikers and T/C Encores have included

6mm-223
6mm T/CU
.243 Winchester
.250 Savage
.30-30 Winchester
.30-30 Ackley Improved

In regards to Whitetail Deer the one thing I have learned is that Rifle Bullets when fired at the reduced velocities possible from these type of cartridges out of Single Shot Speciality Pistols do not expand as readily as they do when fired at Rifle Velocities.

In particular I have had a heck of a time getting some 7mm Bullets to expand at Handgun Velocities.

I am in the process of ordering a T/C Custom Shop Stainless-Steel 14" Contender Barrel chambered in .30-30 Ackley Improved. If I ever get lucky enough to draw a Black Bear Tag for Northern Minnesota where my buddy lives I will more than likely load up a 140gr. Nosler Partition and push it as fast as I can SAFELY and ACCURATELY. In addition I also hope to have a 10" .44 Magnum Contender Barrel to take along also, more than likely with 250gr. Nosler Partition Handgun Bullets.

In regards to the 7-30 Waters, I'd have to agree that the 140gr. Nosler Partition would make a good choice. I think it has enough sectional density and bullet integrety to do what you need it to do at the velocities possible from a 14" 7-30 Waters. I am just afraid that if you get much higher in bullet weight from the 14" 7-30 Waters you're not going to get the velocity you need, as we know velocity translates into Energy.

Good luck, finding that just right load for a Handloading Handgun Hunter is part of the enjoyment.

Larry

Back