Worst brass?

The ones with smaller font have less capacity. Had to back off load to use all the brass.
Well, of course. It's an industry standard to correlate font size and case capacity. The tricky part is when you accidentally forget to take your reading glasses off when checking headstamps and over-charge the case. ;)

Could be. I have a “match grade” chamber with a tight throat. Not short necessarily just tight. So, amy variance in neck thickness or bullet slip under recoil will give me problems. Keeps me on my toes with my reloading practices. Necks get measured and turned and everything gets a good solid crimping.

Well, I just came across this thread when searching about PPU conponents. To be honest my worst experince was with Hornady 9.3 brass. It was beyond my imagination. It was a brand new lot.
I have RCBS setup, and a small partner press. I was poring sweat when I finished the forming of the new brass. each of it was heavily deformed.
I have primed and loaded 40of them.
Every second one have misfire. Even after 4-5try.
The ones, that worked, was heavily deformed, bulged at the primer part.
I thought I had some overpressure, but when I talked with the Proofhouse guys I realized that all the brass was undersized, and they are so soft, that they deform heavily.
I have never ever thought that barss can be so shitty like this. Even my 3-4fired brasses are better than this...
So I unprimed the rest, and with a nice hammer, I disposed all.
Now I use PPU, which shows superior consistency over Hornady.

I have a bit of everything (excluding Norma and Laura thought I heard Norma make Hornady???) and not a huge amount of difference to be honest. Because I hunt a bit, I do buy a bit of Winchester simply because it's cheaper and given I don't always come back from a hunt with all my brass, I'd rather loose cheap brass than expensive stuff

Really the only brass I’ve had that was pure junk from new was Hornady 300 H&H. They were all .025 short at the case head/shoulder datum (headspace) and as such the initial stretch caused them to separate on the second firing. Pity because the cartridge is getting hard to find brass for.

Back