Wow...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Just helped a friend load 50 rounds for his rifle. We both have a lot of experience with the cartridge, but he came to me for handloading assistance as I load a lot more often than he does.

Okay... No problem...

EXCEPT...

He substituted a bullet which neither of us has ever used. Same weight, but a different bullet...

He intends this to be an accurate long-range load. Maybe 500+ yards. Maybe more...

He's leaving for this VERY EXPENSIVE trip... in three days. Out of the country... Way out of the country.

He will only have Saturday to check these loads. Then he's on a plane.

I'm glad I could help, and I think we built some good ammo. But... Wow... In his shoes, I'd have cemented my hunting load months ago. I'd know it out to 600 yards, and know it well.

Sigh...

Guy

longrangehunter":jkrric1k said:
Hopefully it's a 308, and he kept the bullet the same Ogive! Might work?

It is a .308, and he's one heck of a shot, but dang... I sure hope it works out for him...

Guy

A good shooting gun is usually not terribly fussy...... but...... if it decides it doesn't like that bullet no amount of perfection in reloading will correct that. Some people enjoy living on the edge.....lol!

I cannot express my thoughts here. I won't even take proven loads to the field without range testing prior to the hunt. The man is obviously a fool, and hopefully his initial field check will allow him to take game, cleanly and ethically.

Elkman":2t1v29e4 said:
I cannot express my thoughts here. I won't even take proven loads to the field without range testing prior to the hunt. The man is obviously a fool, and hopefully his initial field check will allow him to take game, cleanly and ethically.

Having seen the other things this man has accomplished over the past 20 years, I'd never consider him a fool.

But, I do have to question this particular decision.

Regards, Guy

Back