Wyoming 2016 Elk Hunt

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, we had a great hunt in Wyoming this year. I picked up my buddy Matt in NY and we headed west from there. Made a cannonball run to Wyoming Game and Fish.

Some pretty cool elk in the office..

Got into camp pretty late before the opener. Had a little bit of snow on the ground, but we did get out some into one of our hunting areas.

Bill and I went out and scouted another unit the following day, no elk were observed, but we did see a few moose and a bunch of mule deer..

We had two bull tags and two cow/calf tags. Came up against some weather pretty early in the hunt which required us to move about 40-50 miles to some lower ground.

Once we got situated down low, we split up. Joel and I had a bull and cow tag, while Matt and Bill had the same. Joel and I hunted about 5 miles north of the other two and found a good bull early in the afternoon. About 1600 he popped back out at 550 yards or so.

We moved up canyon a little and began setting up for the shot. He ended up working to about 365 yards before Joel let loose with a 160 AccuBond from his 7mm Mashburn.. At the shot the bull was down and rolled about 10-15ft..

Bill and Matt did pretty well that day as well and took another bull as well from their hunting area.

That night we all got back to camp pretty late after skinning, quartering and hiking back to camp. A little celebration happened till we all pretty much laid down after the long day chasing elk.

The following day, we started after Joel's elk with the 4 wheeler and pickup truck... Well, with the snow pack then warm weather I buried the pickup... Just part of the adventure..

After a little pull out of the muck later on that night, we regrouped at camp. Joel and Bill were headed into Joel's elk and Matt and I were going to try our hand at filling a couple of cow tags..

Matt and I got into our area pretty early and man, it was 20* at camp, but it felt like the darned Arctic up on the mountain. Well, we didn't have to wait too awful long before a band of about 15 cows came in behind us.

I took my cow at about 145 yards with the 7mm Mashburn while Matt took his with his Dad's 7mm Rem Mag and a 150 Scirocco.. Two cows were down, along with Bill's bull in about a 200 yard circle..

Matt and I skinned and quartered our animals to cool down then grabbed a rear quarter from Bill's bull and headed off the mountain...

The following day all four of us went up into the kill site and put a quarter on our packs and put the rest of meat into a sled we borrowed and headed off the mountain..

It was a great hunt. I actually only really got to hunt for about 2.5 days with all of the other stuff going on. Matt and I got back to NY on Sunday morning and I made it back to Virginia Sunday evening.

Hope you all enjoy the pictures..

Super account of a great hunt. Man, four elk that fast? Excellent! Consequently, if you aren't sinking your truck in mud, you're not hunting.

Very good account. Better you wrote it than Bill. I met up with Bill in Pendleton on his way home.
Snowed, we had to move camp. Shot four elk; two Bulls two cows. Scotty drove off the road, got stuck-bad. Generator broke. Had to drive to town for a new one. Great hunt. And he was still wearing the Same t shirt:)
It does sound like a classic elk hunting adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats to all on an excellent hunt and amazing recap of the hunt.

Our hunt shows that perseverance can "sometimes" overcome obstacles thrown into one's path. We spent more time messing with equipment, than we did actually hunting

Elkman":1c7yci0s said:
Our hunt shows that perseverance can "sometimes" overcome obstacles thrown into one's path. We spent more time messing with equipment, than we did actually hunting

Looks like you guys overcame and adapted very well to come out with 4 elk.

What's that creed from the Corps ?
Improvise, adapt and overcome or something like that ?

Good job guys.
Great pics Scotty !

Congratulations Scotty, very nicely done.

Your son did not go with you this year ?

Thanks folks. It was a great hunt. A lot of work jammed into a few days.

People ask all the time about how long they should plan to hunt, I'll still stand by my plan for 7 hunting days. It's ends up being 4-5 actual hunting days with the little things that occur in the mountains.

The mountains have their own way and get a vote in what you can and cannot do.

Congratulations to all the hunters. Great story and photo. Any bullets recovered?

Sure looks like the Wyoming I remember. Excellent summation of a great hunt, Joel. I really enjoy the pictures.

All in all it was a great hunt, and a tough one too. I would say pretty much everyone was spent at some point during the trip, me included. And I can't speak for the other guys but I know I made some mistakes I wouldn't have made otherwise.

And to say I'm more scared than a little girl of an ATV wouldn't represent it correctly. Little girls are WAY less scared of ATVs than I am.

But in the end, a win is a win is a win. When I have a "perfect" hunting experience you'll be the first to know. Hasn't happened yet!

If your heart isn't in your throat at some point during a hunt, you haven't hunted. (y)

AFG270":1sxr2ohd said:
Congratulations to all the hunters. Great story and photo. Any bullets recovered?

I put the couple of recovered bullets up in the .284 section.

Back