Your dream hunt? What would it be????

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
I would love to go to Alaska, the Yukon, B.C., or someplace like just one time on a guided hunt. I'm very fortunate to live in Montana and we have a large variety of game animals to hunt, and excellent hunting, but it's always been a dream after reading Jack O'Connor and others to go on a hunt like this.

For species, I would say a moose, sheep, and grizzly bear combo with a wolf tag "just in case".

I'm living the dream, having hunted moose, elk, grizzly, mountain goat and caribou. I haven't hunted Dall's Sheep, and that would be a great hunt. Maybe Alaska qualifies, just because I haven't made it there yet. All the farther I've been on the Alaska Highway is to Whitehorse. The Northwest Territories were another adventure. Now, you've gone and done it. I'll spend the remainder of the day dreaming.

I have always wanted to go to Alaska and do a drop off do it yourself carabiou hunt! A guided Moose/Grizz hunt would be a very close second, but cost a lot more.

I've been to africa, and if I go back I'm wanting to hunt buff and all the big cats and plains game. That will take some serious $$$ that I don't have, so for now I'm keeping the dream realistic.

Alberta for archery Mooses & huge WT's and Wolf tag to top it off....
Africa for the Plains Game & a Nasty/Gnarly ol Water buff..

I'd prob have a nervous breakdown trying to decide tween the too... But as of right now, it would be to Africa in a second.

Rod

My dream hunt would be to hunt 1 day of the PA deer season with my father. Unfortunately he passed away 8 months before my fist deer season.

Craig

Craig P
I know how you feel. I do! My son Jeremiah died 3 years ago October 26th just after I got home from Antelope and Deer hunting. He was 19 months old. The next year I never went over to central Montana to hunt. My heart just wasn't into it. Last year was my son Jeff's (12 yrs) first hunting season so we just had to go back to hunt antelope. Even though Jeremiah was only 19 months old, I already had gathered enough deer and elk antler sheds to get him a Ruana knife (Made here in Montana) and have his name engraved on it. This would be his hunting knife when he turned 12.
We took Jeremiah's knife with us on this hunt and I carried it in my pack. When Jeff shot his antelope (he had 3 tags), we used Jeremiah's knife to dress the animals out with. Jeff used my first big-game rifle on this hunt which I had in turn given to him. It is a Remington Model 600 Montana Centenial chambered in 6mm Remington. The serial number on it is MC0570. My father bought this at a little store in Nye Montana in about 1968 and paid $99.00 for it brand new. It sat in the store window for a few years before he bought it.
After the hunt, we cleaned up Jeremiah's knife and put it away. It is now Jeff's knife to give to his first hunter born to him when he grows up. He has a Ruana just like Jeremiahs , and it is engraved with Jeff's name as well, but Jeremiahs will be for one of his children.
It was sure hard using this knife knowing that Jeremiah would never be able to use it. That was the hardest dressing job I have ever completed, and tears were running down my face as I was doing it. Somehow it also felt good though too, and was my way of honoring my son. Maybe you too might have some idea of something like this that you could do to honor your father and so that I feels like he was there with you, as I'm sure they both were with us on our hunts. God Bless.
David 6mm Remington

CraigP and 6mm Remington,

Wow! Those are a couple of moving dream hunts. I pray that God will encourage each of you. 6mm Remington, That is a beautiful tribute to your infant son. Thank you for sharing.

i have been on 2 of my dreamhunts allready. my wife taking her first deer with archery and cenrefire. my oldest son took his first elk this year and i had a front row seat. but i really would like AFRICA.

Alaska for Grizzley or Africa for everything. Either would make my life complete. I take my hat off to the people who set these types of goals and reach them.

Greg Nolan":1r0aps91 said:
Alaska for Grizzley or Africa for everything. Either would make my life complete. I take my hat off to the people who set these types of goals and reach them.

a matter of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that is it brother!

Yeah, I would really like to hunt Coastal Brown Bears with the original Brown Bear Guides who advertised in Outdoor Life. I remember they had a little ad and one of their names was Pinnel? I read the book, but forgot their names. It would be cool to stalk them on a rocky beach and run into one of those big 9ft+ bears at close range, just to test my character a little! Of Course, that would warrant a new rifle! Scotty

Dream hunts
Alaska with all three of my wife and boys,
Africa same, but add in my brother.

Any hunt with my dad, who passed away over 10 years ago. Hunting brought us very close together after several years apart... In fact, that is why I got into raising and training German Shorthaired Pointers!

Miss you Dad!
Hardpan

Dream hunts
Alaska with all three of my wife and boys,
Africa same, but add in my brother.

Any hunt with my dad, who passed away over 10 years ago. Hunting brought us very close together after several years apart... In fact, that is why I got into raising and training German Shorthaired Pointers!

Miss you Dad!
Hardpan

Dunno if it would be "out west" for trophy mule deer in the backcountry - a classic western hunt...

Or a trip to Alaska for moose & bear...

But either way I'd have to haul my son along. That would make either of those just about perfect!

Africa would be neat, but it's not my dream hunt. I dream of the crisp air of the high mountains and the sight of a Big Antlered mule deer buck... :grin:

A long horse back hunt in the Yukon for Moose, Grizz, Sheep, Caribou. However long it takes to get em all. And someone in the hunting crew has got to play guitar and sing cowboy songs.

Back